BP Stove

Jager

WKR
I keep reading these threads on BP stoves, and I have to ask, how long do they last when stoked up with timber, surely it wouldn't be long?

Cheers

They are not meant to be the kind of stove that keeps you warm all night long. Though the volume of some of those large oval stoves has me wondering what kind of a burn I could get out of them.

15-20 is about what I have gotten too.

packable stoves are not airtight at all, they burn hot, and they burn fast. Main reasoning to bringing them seems like to go to sleep warm, wake up warm, dry gear, and cooking.

Really nice once the fall sets in and the nights get long, spending a few hours in the evening by a stove that is red hot is soothing.

Putting on warm socks and boots is really nice too

I'd say Lawnboi summed it up very well. It is just nice to be able to warm up for as long as you want to tend the stove. I would say that tending the stove is have the fun. Gives you something to do when it is butt cold outside of your shelter.

Brent

Do they ever fill your shelter with smoke?

No. The stoves work amazingly. I have never had any smoke in the tipi.

Like others mentioned. The purpose of the stoves isnt to heat all night long (unless someone wants to wake up and stoke every half hour. The purpose is for going to bed warm and waking up warm. I typically reach my arm out of my sleeping bag. Fire up the stove so the tipi is nice and warm and then i crawl out. Sure makes it nice.

Kifaru 8 man with large stove. November hunt. Single digits.

Kifaru Sawtooth with Kifaru medium box stove. February

Kifaru 6 man tipi with medium box stove. March. Rain/snow in forecast.

Last edited:
The small and medium stoves don't last super long, but they are worth it. 15 min to 25 , with slow air flow and large pieces of fuel.uploadfromtaptalk1381726784109.jpg

Two weekends ago we each took turns keeping the stove going throughout the night. It made a huge difference in quality for the two who were sleeping with the single digit temperatures.

Does everybody use some type of spark screen to keep from getting holes in your ceiling?

Thankyou for the replies and images, looks pretty cosy in your tipi Justin.

Sreekers I have just discovered your blog, looks like there is some good stuff there, will be having a read when I get a chance.

Justin is that a 6man? God I cant wait to get my Tipi.

I went ahead and edited the pics with what shelter coordinated with each pic. I used to have a 6 man. Ran it for a few years. A palace for 2 guys and gear. I then sold it and upgraded to a 8 man. Great for 3-4 guys plus gear. Can't go wrong with any Kifaru shelter.

The stoves sure are nice when the temp drops.

"Does everybody use some type of spark screen to keep from getting holes in your ceiling?"

It's recommended, I do, and I can't see a reason not to use one.

"The stoves sure are nice when the temp drops."

Having spent the weekend on a ridge line without my stove this weekend, I could not agree more.

Like others said reach your arm out of your sleeping bag fire the stove up let your shelter warm up a bit then get out of your bag, can't bet it!

Back