Stoves: SO vs Argali

In the market for a stove. Looking through previous threads on the subject of stoves on this forum, the impression I get is that the Lite Outdoors cylinder stove is a PITA to assemble and most people don’t like using it. SO stoves have a solid reputation and seem not too difficult to assemble. The Argali stove has been widely available for awhile now and is getting good reviews, and their setup video makes it look considerably easier to assemble than the SO stove (for approx the same price point too).

I’m wondering if anyone who has tried both the SO stoves and the new Argali have opinions on the ease of setup and functionality between the two offerings. The only downside to the Argali seems to be that it is not made in USA, and it’s a bit heavier for the same size. Unless it is not as user-friendly or functional in some other way?

I don’t believe there are any other stoves in this size/weight class currently on the market although I would be interested if there are. The similarly sized Kifaru is a lot heavier. Perhaps the Winnerwell stove is a contender as well?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I’ve owned a SO stove. Worked great, no complaints. Haven’t personally used the Argali, but I’ve heard great reviews. I’m sure they’re fairly equal in burn time.

I’d probably purchase a SO again due to cost, customer service and weight. They are doing 15% off right now.

Idaboy

WKR
I have SO stove, no complaints, has held up good to set up/ tear down on backcountry hunts. Pretty light. Would error on going with larger size SO, for wood capacity and can hold a fair bed of coals for a few hrs. All these lightweight stoves need to keep restocking or they burn out pretty quick, so don't expect 4+ hrs of burn to keep you warm, maybe 2hrs at best. I like the SO square build so you can put cookware on if you want. It's awesome on cold morning to burn off the dampness in tent and at night to dry out any gear/layers before bed. We often camp with stock, so I have not packed this around on my back.

S.Clancy

WKR
Just FYI, Lite Outdoors setup isn't that difficult. I get my whole stove set up in like 5 min. They are lighter and cheaper than the other options

ID_Matt

WKR
I only can compare the lite outdoors and SO. The lite cylinder definitely takes a touch longer than the box style SO to set up. I would guess I can have my lite set up in 10 mins. Outside of set up time, the lite outdoors is cheaper, lighter, and because it is a cylinder it can be longer without sacrificing weight. Longer stove means longer sticks to burn which means less wood cutting time.

JLeeC10

FNG
I am debating the same two options as the OP. Based on comments here will consider the lite outdoors as well, but interested in anyone’s opinion who has experience with the Argali

another vote for the lite outdoors stove. Love mine. I do not have experience with SO or Argali stoves though, so I can't say better or worse. just a fan of Lite Outdoors.