Breaking down the Quartering-Away Shot - Your Thoughts?

BaseMap

Rokslide Sponsor
Every animal is obviously different, but in this article we have broken down the quartering-away shot on a whitetail buck and have provided a cool visual graphic while doing so. Give it a read and share your experiences in the thread.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 2.38.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 2.38.55 PM.png
    824.6 KB · Views: 69

Rich M

Talking about taking this shot or no shot.
Gonna shoot the line between 3B and 3C. Why - it'll punch ribs and take out the far leg. 3B is a solid thru the lungs and out in front of the far shoulder shot - it won't go far - but I feel better taking the shoulder on this one.

In real life I'm gonna wait for that deer to turn some more to the left to go around the tree behind it and drill it when the angle is better. As I get older, can think back on a bunch of shots I took that would have been better or great shots if waited another 5-10 seconds before pulling trigger. This one would qualify as a be patient grasshopper kind of shot.

5MilesBack

I've never shot a whitetail, but I'd say that at least 60% of my archery shots on elk have been quartering away shots. Each one is different just depends on the angle, but I'm always looking where my exit hole will be.

kravguy

Some of my shortest track jobs have been steeper quartering away shots. Enter roughly at the last rib amd out behind front shoulder.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

McNadler

I’m with 5Miles on this one, should always thinking about the opposite side and where the exit would be.

ewade07

I shot both my elk and mule deer last year with quartering away shots. The line between 3B/C is where it needs to be. Elk at 350 yds went 50 yds before piling up, deer at ~500 yds went 15 yds.