Bringing back on plane

I didnt relize they were that heavy or big. Ive only seen a few mounts would have never guessed thats what they weigh.

Yeah, the horns of a legal Dall Ram are bigger than you think, in terms of weight and size. Horn diameter is at least 18 inches or more and width will be at least 28 inches. Weight is going to be anywhere between 25 lbs and 45 lbs. It actually requires a pretty big box to transport them, if you're not going to pop them off the cores or split the skull plate.

KU_Geo

WKR
Large duffel bag: sleeping bag and all clothing stuffed around it with flattened pack underneath it is how I did mine and it arrived in fine condition. Other option for even more protection is heavy duty plastic tote from Home Depot with clothing or sleeping bag as padding.

Sandbrew

FNG
I was able to pack a salted full-body cape and horns and skull in a 15 gallon bin. I weighed it at the outfitters camp and topped off with frozen meat to my weight limit. I salted the cape in the rental car and the skull was cleaned and boiled then taped to make it look clean

Attachments

• Salty cape.jpg
    Salty cape.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Salt cape car.jpg
    Salt cape car.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Skull hotel.jpg
    Skull hotel.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 32

Bambistew

WKR
I've weigh 6-7 green dall sheep, full skulls with horns and brain (like pic below). My biggest ram (164B&C) weighed just under 24lbs with the brain in it. Most weighed 18-22lbs. Everyone kills giants until a tape and scale employed.

I have 2 euros sitting on my book shelf right now. Both would fit in a box that's 12"x16"x 24" The dim from the back of the horn to the tip of the nose nose is ~15-16" on every ram I have (12). The height may vary from 12-14" depending on depth of curl, and width depends on how long the tips are. Mine range from 21-32" most all of mine are between 24-26. I have only flown commercially with one ram, and put it in a large duffle bag with my coat wrapped around the nose, but ultimately cut the skull/nose off when I got home for the mount. If you cut the nose off, you essentially have a cylinder that is 12-14" by 24-28" long.

Good luck on your hunt! I can't believe its almost time to go again. I better go shoot my rifle and start rounding up gear. haha

1690920655919.png

Wingert

FNG
Fly up with two checked coolers with gear / clothes / and collapsible duffle bag. On the return trip home, I've cut the skull across the top of the nose and placed the horns in a garbage bag. On one occasion, I removed them from the core (after sealing) and put them in two separate garbage bags. Horns go in the duffle as a carry on.

The coolers are used to bring back cape, meat and any clothes that will fit for added insulation. Any excess gear / clothes were shipped home from the USPS at the ANC airport or as another checked bag.

Last edited:

outlook8

FNG
I flew back from Fairbanks with the salted hide in my backpack and skull capped horns strapped to the outside (I wrapped a plastic bag and tape around the skull cap so they couldn't say anything about the blood). Got some weird looks making my connection in Seattle, but no major issues.

Often, I will pack my duffel in a 70qt coleman cooler on the way up, then put the hide in the cooler w/ dry ice for the return trip home.

I've also checked a frozen mt. lion hide in a large rolling bag. No issues.

TXCO

WKR
I used one of those plastic totes that i bought at Fred Mayer that was large enough for the skull/horns and used some dunnage to keep mine from getting beat up. I taped it shut with duct tape. Alaska Airlines has been pretty good with trophy care.

I did the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk