Bringing guns to Canada

2x within the last year. Both times my firearm was inspected to verify serial numbers but it was a super simple process. That was the first time in the 10 years I've been hunting Canada that I have ever had my gun inspected. Any other questions just let me know.

As far as process. Simply fill out the temporary import paperwork and let the border agent know when crossing you need a permit signed. They will then determine if they are going to inspect and you pay your small fee and they will sign your declaration.
Last time I flew to Canada with rifle was 2021 literally the day they opened the border from Covid. I could have sworn there was a US form that needed to be signed as well (????) that needed to be filled out in advance so that you could get your weapon back into the States without issue otherwise you are forced to keep your receipt of going into Canada for proof the gun belonged to you when you left Canada? Am I right here? Anyway, I myself am flying out in August to go on a sheep hunt and trying to figure out my forms ahead of time to minimize headaches at Customs.

Last time I flew to Canada with rifle was 2021 literally the day they opened the border from Covid. I could have sworn there was a US form that needed to be signed as well (????) that needed to be filled out in advance so that you could get your weapon back into the States without issue otherwise you are forced to keep your receipt of going into Canada for proof the gun belonged to you when you left Canada? Am I right here? Anyway, I myself am flying out in August to go on a sheep hunt and trying to figure out my forms ahead of time to minimize headaches at Customs.
You are correct. The form you will need for the US when coming home is a 4457

That's the one. Who signs it before you leave the country?
You need to get it signed by a US customs
Agent before you leave the US. You can stop at customs in the airport before leaving or stop on the US side before entering Canada if you’re driving.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info on this subject. I’m flying into Calgary and driving over to Saskatchewan for a goose/duck hunt next week. It will be my first time taking a gun across the border and these tips are much appreciated.

I had three related questions:
1) Are there any issues with bringing ammo up? I saw the two box note online but want to double-check here.

2) Does Canada give you any trouble if you aren’t going directly to hunting camp? I have some business meetings in Alberta before going over to Saskatchewan with a night or two in hotels. Canadian gun laws seem ultra-strict compared to what we have in the US.

3) Are there any issues bringing meat back across the border on the flight in an ice chest?

Thanks!

OMB

WKR
Thanks everyone for the helpful info on this subject. I’m flying into Calgary and driving over to Saskatchewan for a goose/duck hunt next week. It will be my first time taking a gun across the border and these tips are much appreciated.

I had three related questions:
1) Are there any issues with bringing ammo up? I saw the two box note online but want to double-check here.

2) Does Canada give you any trouble if you aren’t going directly to hunting camp? I have some business meetings in Alberta before going over to Saskatchewan with a night or two in hotels. Canadian gun laws seem ultra-strict compared to what we have in the US.

3) Are there any issues bringing meat back across the border on the flight in an ice chest?

Thanks!
Zero issues with bringing in ammo into the country, but by law anything more than 200 rounds for hunting is subject to import duties.

Should be zero issues with freedom of movement with firearms. In the event you did have law enforcement encounter, I'd guess it would be helpful to have your paperwork in order, but Alberta/Sask are pretty much just like the western US (hunting and firearms ownership is socially acceptable.)

You're going to have to do your own homework on bringing birds back, mainly due to bird flu. Here's a link from last year via Delta Waterfowl outlining general things to be aware of: https://deltawaterfowl.org/be-mindf...tion-of-game-bird-meat-from-canada-this-fall/

Zero issues with bringing in ammo into the country, but by law anything more than 200 rounds for hunting is subject to import duties.

Should be zero issues with freedom of movement with firearms. In the event you did have law enforcement encounter, I'd guess it would be helpful to have your paperwork in order, but Alberta/Sask are pretty much just like the western US (hunting and firearms ownership is socially acceptable.)

You're going to have to do your own homework on bringing birds back, mainly due to bird flu. Here's a link from last year via Delta Waterfowl outlining general things to be aware of: https://deltawaterfowl.org/be-mindf...tion-of-game-bird-meat-from-canada-this-fall/
Thanks @OMB for the quick reply and really helpful info. The info on the ammo count limits and possible bird flu issues is good to know ahead of the trip.

Also good to know about the freedom of movement with firearms. Having worked a long time in the oilfield with guys from across Alberta who are serious hunters, I figured I’d be okay but just wanted to 100% sure since they’ve talked a lot about the stricter laws in Canada. Thanks again for the really helpful info.