Broadheads for black bear?

Going to hunt bear this year for the first time. What's everyone using for broadheads? Mechanical's, fixed just curious I will be hunting alpine so shouldn't have a problem shooting mechanicals thanks.

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
A Bears fur tends to soak up alot of blood and doesnt leave good blood trails that is why people use mechanicals. I would do some testing and see how they fly for you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Mechanical wise for 3 blade I would opt for spitfire or grim reaper. 2 blade, I would order some of the new Sik heads. A buddy of mine did some testing with them this past season and he said the blood trails were obscene. He said he has never seen any head consistently produce blood trails equal to that head. I have not shot them but I trust his opinion on equipment without question.

Fixed heads, pretty much any would work fine but I might lean towards a big cut head like the silver flame XL or the big simmons.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
This is timely because I'm heading to Canada in June for bear. Setting up my bow now and am having the same questions. I prefer fixed blades and that big Silverflame looks interesting. Do they work better with slower bows?

Apapro

FNG
definatley look at the new sevr heads. Titanium that’s affordable and a good locking blade system. I think these will be a good head for bears. Will be in my quiver this spring!!

I'd go with the sharp pointy ones that shoot well out of your set up! But in all seriousness shoot whatever you have and are comfortable with, black bears aren't incredibly thick skinned or hard to penetrate, and in spring they usually don't have the huge layers of fat they will in fall. Unless you are talking POW bears or some extreme, any broadhead you're used to shooting will be fine.

nphunter

WKR
If it were me I would use a Rage Trypan. For sure a rear deploying head if i were going mechanical. If your a 60lb shooter a fixed two blade with bleeders is my preferred head due to accuracy. Iron Will, Solid, Magnus.

jimmy33

WKR
I'd go with the sharp pointy ones that shoot well out of your set up! But in all seriousness shoot whatever you have and are comfortable with, black bears aren't incredibly thick skinned or hard to penetrate, and in spring they usually don't have the huge layers of fat they will in fall. Unless you are talking POW bears or some extreme, any broadhead you're used to shooting will be fine.

That!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd shoot what you have confidence in and are accurate with. In my experience bear don't travel very far with a double lung shot. I think it's a predator versus prey thing. Prey animals don't slow down after being shot. Predators react differently. A bear doesn't have great lung capacity in comparison to a lot of the ungulates we hunt. They generally don't go that far, however they are harder to trail. Good bloodtrail always helps.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_3895.JPG
Shot this one in the chest at 10 yards last spring with the iron will 125 grain. Went thru whole body and never found the arrow but heard it busting thru the trees way beyond him! He went down in about 20 yards.

I hate mechanical broadheads, except for black bear, I’m a big believer in big cutting diameter mechanicals for bears as long as your drawing a decent weight/length.... like stated earlier...blood is hard with bears, the fur is like a sponge, the more blood you get, the better, people forget they have padded feet, and they aren’t easy to track, especially on dry ground, moss, and through muskeg (Canada)

Caspar

Lil-Rokslider
i havent shot a bear but i used the truglo titanium x 4 blade on a whitetail last year and they were absolutely devastating.
they flew like field tips. they held up perfectly when shooting into a foam target. and left a huge hole with a fantastic blood trail.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider

I think this says a lot. I've never shot mechanicals (I've always been leery of them not working/opening up. I also have a shorter than average draw at 27" so I shy away from a momentum sucking head). I'm currently testing Iron Wills for flight out of my new arrow set up.

MattB

WKR
Whichever you use for deer. Black bears die easily. Just stay away from the scapula.

OFFHNTN

WKR

Agreed.