Brush country

So I bought some property. 14 acres regrowth mostly poplar 2-4” diameter about 10’ tall. Some tall pines and maple but few and they’re not in the right spots for stands. Anyway I’m planning how I’m gonna manage it. I’m wondering about tripod stands and or elevated box blinds. Have you guys had luck archery hunting from either? I hunt with a longbow and a rifle so I’ll wanna be able to setup for both. Planning on doing some small food plots next season but we’re too close to snow to seed anything this year.

Tripods are great for bow hunting. They're really popular here in Texas, because we have a lot of brush country down south, and where I am here in East Texas the timber gets cut every few years leaving us clearcuts. Cover is probably the most important thing, like a treestand. Just shove it in some thick gnarly brush where you want to hunt and make sure you have a clear lane or two to where you want to shoot, and practice drawing out of it. If you haven't shot out of an elevated stand much, practice shooting from it a lot!! But yeah they are awesome. Good luck!!

LostArra

WKR
My opinion: elevated box blinds are not good for bowhunting.
Tripods are a much better option but they have a different feel than a treestand so like squirrel said, get some practice. We cram them into brush but with one leg against a small tree and lash it to the tree with a ratchet strap. There are cattle on the ranch where we use it and they will push it over.

OP
C
On those tripods… I’m assuming the difference with shooting is how small of a platform you have to stand on? And what do you tie off to with your safety harness?

WCB

WKR
So I bought some property. 14 acres regrowth mostly poplar 2-4” diameter about 10’ tall. Some tall pines and maple but few and they’re not in the right spots for stands. Anyway I’m planning how I’m gonna manage it. I’m wondering about tripod stands and or elevated box blinds. Have you guys had luck archery hunting from either? I hunt with a longbow and a rifle so I’ll wanna be able to setup for both. Planning on doing some small food plots next season but we’re too close to snow to seed anything this year.
Winter Rye (not rye grass) planted in the next couple weeks should grow something.... over seed again end of Sept. It germinates down to 34 Degrees.

Not sure how a tripod stand would work as far as being exposed and bow hunting. If you did have a food plot box blind with bow hunting configuration works...thats all you see the T.V. guys doing now.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
that type of scenario is also ripe for trying to ground hunt. It's extremely exhilarating and your setup sounds prime for it.

I don't stand to shoot out of them. I buy the ones that don't have a shooting rail. Just make sure you bend at the waist some when you shoot, even in a sitting position.

LostArra

WKR
On those tripods… I’m assuming the difference with shooting is how small of a platform you have to stand on? And what do you tie off to with your safety harness?
The small tree I mentioned above also provides a tie in for my rock climbing harness.
I shoot sitting. The small platform can be beneficial for longbow clearance. It is definitely a different feel than shooting from a treestand and can be a bit dangerous in spite of not being very high off the ground.

Something else to mention, the seat. The one we use has a plastic seat like a school cafeteria chair but rotates/swivels on a boat seat bearing. These can sometimes make a little squeak after they have been in the weather which can happen at the worst of times. We tried keeping it covered but occasional lubrication helps.

OP
C
The small tree I mentioned above also provides a tie in for my rock climbing harness.
I shoot sitting. The small platform can be beneficial for longbow clearance. It is definitely a different feel than shooting from a treestand and can be a bit dangerous in spite of not being very high off the ground.

Something else to mention, the seat. The one we use has a plastic seat like a school cafeteria chair but rotates/swivels on a boat seat bearing. These can sometimes make a little squeak after they have been in the weather which can happen at the worst of times. We tried keeping it covered but occasional lubrication helps.
That makes sense about tieing off to the tree

I primarily bow hunt. I have made some awesome pit blinds down in south Texas where there were not any trees large enough for a tripod. Even transplanted Prickly Pear cactus over on top and made it look like a big brush pile. Face shooting window primarily north and south and you will never have a issue with sunlight.