Buffalo, NY

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Well, there is a driving ban currently so probably not good. There is also still lake effect just south and 90 also appears to be closed.

Why? Trying to get up there?

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Well, there is a driving ban currently so probably not good. There is also still lake effect just south and 90 also appears to be closed.

Why? Trying to get up there?
From the southtowns just checking haven't heard much. Have a friend who is a nurse at childrens and she has been there for 60 hours right now.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
It's not good, I couldn't drive there last night or today they are getting snow again probably another foot today. Thruway was closed from the western Rochester exits to PA border, my son lives there, and they aren't able to keep the roads open with the blowing snow. I have it much better in central NY our snow stopped yesterday and for once we got less than Buffalo, and it is cold, and the winds are still up. north of me got 4' of snow but all the snow now is lake effect so if you're getting it, you're really getting it.

KurtR

WKR
My brother is there at the in-laws for Christmas. They lost power his fil had a generator in the garage so he got power going. He said it’s pretty bad but nothing to crazy but being used to Sodak winters he told me it’s just winter.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Mom lives there. Her power went out 8:00 AM on Saturday morning- temperature dropped pretty quickly in her house, a close friend called law enforcement and they sent officers in a Hummer to get her at about 3:00 PM. The Hummer could make it as far as a block away, an officer made it to my Mom's on foot and helped her to the vehicle. There was a warming shelter hastily setup (elementary school) where they took her. She spent Christmas Eve there and most of Christmas day. They were notified power was restored around 4:00 PM (32 hours) and an hour later she was back home- roads were better, but not great, at this time. Won't go down as her best Christmas for sure.

Just under 4' of snow combined with very high winds= not good.

wytx

WKR
Have an inlaw there, they had a strangler stay 2 nights with them that got stuck and rolled his truck. They own a heavy equipment company and just got their drive plowed yesterday to get the stranger home.
Still bad conditions though they say.

Yoder

WKR
It's weird that Buffalo gets a lot of snow. I never would have expected that.

wytx

WKR
Have you check on them lately? :D
Yep, plowed out and helping folks get around. They own a heavy equipment company. They have the dump trucks, snow plows and front end loader out and working around town. My sistsr has her daughter and son in law there til the 31st. They talk daily.

wytx

WKR
BIL just talked to his daughter there, roads are open and mostly plowed. A few stores are opening up again. Big drifts in some areas and little snow in others.

Macintosh

WKR
It's weird that Buffalo gets a lot of snow. I never would have expected that.
They get the entire fetch off lake Erie, buffalo is the first thing it dumps all that moisture on. The amazing thing is how little snow there is just a few miles away. Im visiting my inlaws in NE Ohio right now, we’re only a relative few miles from buffalo and there’s hardly any snow—maybe 3-4 inches tops.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
The Watertown area is getting hammered with lake effect, last night's forecast called for 2-3 feet additional on top of the earlier snow:
1672261123802.png