Build vs Buy Custom Rifle

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
I would love somebody’s opinion on my dilemma. I’ve decided to build my “forever hunting rifle”, 90% sure I’ll go the 7 PRC route. The question I have is should I take an off the shelf rifle, have it trued, put a new barrel, stock, etc on it, or buy a customer barreled action and throw a stock on it?

How much does it cost to true a R700 action? What’s a good donor rifle? Do gunsmiths specialize in certain brands, or can they true any action? The reason I ask that last question is because I have a Savage 110 30-06 that I could use as a donor as well, but I like the aftermarket support for Remington and Tikka actions.

Just looking for feedback or ideas

I would love somebody’s opinion on my dilemma. I’ve decided to build my “forever hunting rifle”, 90% sure I’ll go the 7 PRC route. The question I have is should I take an off the shelf rifle, have it trued, put a new barrel, stock, etc on it, or buy a customer barreled action and throw a stock on it?

How much does it cost to true a R700 action? What’s a good donor rifle? Do gunsmiths specialize in certain brands, or can they true any action? The reason I ask that last question is because I have a Savage 110 30-06 that I could use as a donor as well, but I like the aftermarket support for Remington and Tikka actions.

Just looking for feedback or ideas
What is your budget? that would help a lot

OP
Paulyester

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
Good point, I’m a cheap, but I’m willing to spend up to $3k because I plan to keep this rifle for good. Would prefer something less however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schism

WKR
Build what you want. There's too many stories floating around the web of high end factory rifles not shooting to expectations. Some with poor customer service after the sale. A reputable gunsmith will build you a rifle that shoots to your expectations and will cover any defects in craftsmanship. It might cost more but the potential downsides are fewer IMO.

Build what you want. There's too many stories floating around the web of high end factory rifles not shooting to expectations. Some with poor customer service after the sale. A reputable gunsmith will build you a rifle that shoots to your expectations and will cover any defects in craftsmanship. It might cost more but the potential downsides are fewer IMO.

Absolutely this. Spend some time doing research and get exactly what YOU want, not what someone else decided.

There are quality actions to choose from the will only cost slightly more than you’ll spend trying a REM 700 action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TaperPin

WKR
I’m a big fan of having a custom barrel installed on a trued action.

Action truing generally starts with lapping bolt lugs and skimming the front of the action. That’s going to run $100 to $200. Then the bolt face could be skimmed, firing pin hole bushed for tighter fit, and the bolt body can be sleeved to reduce play. Those are roughly another $200.

Not every gunsmith works on all actions - or uses the same techniques. There are some specialty tools to speed up the process, but fast does not mean better.

A really good stainless barrel is roughly $400 from any of the top barrel makers, the installation can vary a lot in cost and results. A gunsmith with good reputation for accuracy and working primarily with competition guns in the 1/4 moa to 1/2 moa range uses a different chambering/threading technique than the old school local guy in every town, and may run $400 vs $200 for the local guy.

Many barrel makers will install a barrel for around $200 - $250 which is a bargain, but it’s not going to be as good as the best gunsmiths. I’ve been lucky and had a barrel installed like this on an untrued action shoot 1/2 moa and another gun with same barrel and same company would only shoot 1 moa. Now that I’m older and wiser I wouldn’t spend the money on a new barrel without at least having the front of the action skimmed and bolt lugs lapped.

If you go all out, work up good loads with good bullets it’s common to end up with a gun in the 1/4 to 1/2 moa range. With the cost of the original rifle you’re going to be close to $3k - any new rifle with a reputation for similar accuracy will be at least that.

On YouTube the “winning in the wind” channel has a few good segments on having a new barrel installed on a hunting rifle and how the load was worked up.

TaperPin

WKR
The Wyoming Gun Company has a few good YouTube segments on truing and shooting a Rem 700 at long distance.

BT Competition Shooting has less than 1,000 YouTube subscribers, but is a series of common sense shooting and reloading lessons from a national benchrest champion. A large number of gun guys have a lot of talk about accuracy - this is the guy at the top of the totem pole.

hunt1up

WKR
I'm not pro shooter by any means. I hunt a ton so that's where I spend most of my play money. I've had(and still have) some Tikkas and similar quality factory rifles. They're all out of the box dead accurate and always shoot better than me. That being said, in the past two years I've bought two rifles from Alamo Precision down in TX. I'm a lefty and they'll make me a gun exactly how I want. I'm not a reloader or long range shooter so they're in the lame vanilla calibers of 6.5cm and 30-06. Both rifles are hole-in-hole accurate, the fit and finish are pristine, the design and colors are what I chose, and their service is top of the heap.

If you're going to spend $3,000 I'd look at an option like that.

Wasting money trueing a R700 or buying a Tikka just to dump a bunch of $$ into it and still have a factory action is retarded.

Buy a quality action like an Origin or Coup De Grace and go from there. It costs a little more than a Tikka, and less than you'll spend unfucking a 700 when it's all said and done and you'll have a custom action machined to tight tolerances that prefits can be had for and far greater aftermarket support than Tikka.

idahodave

WKR
What makes the Seekins an even MORE obvious choice is that they will re-barrel your rifle for $500 when you shoot it out because its so accurate and fun to shoot. Try that with any other gun manufacturer.

Accuracy, weight, ergonomics, customer service, etc,...all make the Havak element (or PH2 if weight not an issue) simply the cream of the crop...by a LOT. The ONLY argument against them is the inherent 700 trigger "weakness"....and you'll forgive me if I say I think that's pole-vaulting over mouse turds with any rifle equipped with a TImney or TT...which the Seekins has.

You can PAY a lot more for a fully custom gun, but you'll be hard-pressed to convince me you're getting a "better" gun. If you want something non-mainstream like a 25 Creedmoor or .284 Win or whatever...then a "custom" starts to make more sense I suppose.

Just one dude's opinion, and you're welcome to yours to the contrary of course.

Dave

SloppyJ

WKR
I'm in your same boat trying to decide to build a Tikka 300wsm on a "long action" or just order a Kelbly Atlas or Origin action and build it myself in 300PRC. I think you gain a few things this way. My budget is also around what you've listed.

You have the ability to get whatever you want. I shoot left handed so that's a big deal for me. I can pick the exact stock and components that I want. The huge benefit to me is that I can buy prefit barrels and install them myself in my garage in a matter of minutes. This is what is pushing me towards building one over buying something factory like the Seekins or a Bergara Premier.

I actually enjoy putting them together and bedding the action. Spending that time with it and knowing that it's done exactly how I want it to be done means a lot to me. At the end, I know that rifle inside and out. I don't need the rifle right now, I have plenty, but I want a full "custom" type setup. I see the Seekins listed for around $2,800. I think I can be into something that I put together myself that will probably end up just a bit nicer than the seekins for around the same price if I shop around and maybe find a deal or two on a couple pieces. It will also be much more modular.

If your extremely budget minded, there are a few Savage CIP length actions out there that you can pick up for around $550 and shave about half the cost of an action right off the top.

If you stick with the 7PRC, you'll want the CIP length if you reload, which I imagine you do if you're wanting to spend that type of coin on a rifle. It's going to be hard to get the COAL you need with a Tikka action so you're looking at actions similar to what I listed above.

Good luck. I've been mulling this over in my head for a few weeks now and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. The advice I will give is when looking at actions, research prefits and stocks for that same action. That will narrow it down a bit.

Flyjunky

WKR
Are you looking to shoot a specific bullet and/or certain load parameters? If you do then having a custom makes sense.

My last two rifles, and my next one, were built with a specific bullet in mind and the chambers cut accordingly.

If you’re not getting that specific just go with a known manufacturer that offers the features you’re looking for. If you can’t find that then you’ve answered your question.

jg1418

Lil-Rokslider
Proof Research Elevation MTR rifle.

Pricey at around 3k for me but extremely happy with this rifle. Its amazing and very accurate with the factory ammo i am using.

Maybe others more experienced than me can add comments about the Proof Rifle.

Good luck

To be honest as someone who has had a couple customs built, I wouldn't overthink it at that budget. I'd just get a Seekins of your preferred flavor and go.