Build vs Buy Custom Rifle

rootacres

WKR
+1 Build what you want

Buy the action of your choice. Pick up an action wrench and barrel vice and you're basically good to go aside from the go / no go gauges of the caliber you select.

I would try to land on an action that is off a rem 700 footprint. The sky is the limit for drop in options on stocks and triggers. If you decide to change calibers, burn up a barrel or want a switch barrel it's as simple as ordering in a different barrel and doing the swap yourself.

For a forever rifle I'd build on an origin or similar custom action that has prefits available, unless you have a 700 that has sentimental value.

But nothing wrong with a seekins from what I've heard.

Last edited:

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think buying a gun to dump money into it makes a lot of sense. If you true an action your looking at probably $300 plus, then if you don’t get a prefit barrel your looking at another $800 for a barrel blank and another $300 at least to chamber it. $100 to thread it. Only thing you’d really be paying for the rifle to keep would be the stock in the initial price of the gun.

Likely better off going custom and getting exactly what you want or just buy a rem 700 action and get it trued…but in the end you will pay darn near the price of a lower end custom action once all said and done.

In conclusion, your better off buying a higher end rifle and leaving it as is or just go custom, other wise you will be throwing good money at parts that will be replaced or throwing it toward gunsmithing that gets you close to the custom price anyway without getting 100% what you want.

If you don’t want the “hassle” of full custom you could get prefits and watch videos of how to do everything yourself. Or with your $3k budget, you likely can get a heck of a nice gun off the shelf

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR
I’ve been going around a ton in my head on the very same questions between a seekins ph2, Springfield waypoint or building off a tikka. I’m pretty well decided on a 6.5 prc just not sure spending any more than I have to is worth it especially when I’m just wanting a maximum 500-600 yard gun

TexLuke

FNG
It’s already been said but I’ll agree that I wouldn’t even think of buying a rem 700 with intent to have it trued and rebarreled any more. If I had one sitting around, maybe. But it doesn’t make sense to sink several hundred into one when you could buy a custom action for 7-900$.

I love tikkas, and own or have owned over a dozen but I wouldn’t buy one of those just for a donor either unless I found one way cheap (which you don’t any more). If you have one they’d be great to use but again it doesn’t make sense to go buy one for $700+ just to use the action. But It might make sense if a guy plans to use the factory stock or can sell the takeoff parts for enough but not just for the action..

Custom actions are reasonably priced nowadays and just make the most sense IMO..