Building my optics arsenal

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Glassing warriors,
I’m Trying to get it right the first time, money is the the last factor in my decision but should obviously still be considered. I’m Planning on a set of 10x’s 18x’s And 85mm.

10x binos- I’m curious if the 10x50 razor will compare to SLC 10x42’s? I would pick the slc’s Over the new 10x42 razor UHD’s because I’m really not a huge fan of vortex. However if I can get the 10x50’s for half the price of the Slc’s it may be worth it.... ultimately I want the best performance

18x binos- I’m choosing 18’s over 15’s because I want them to compensate for a 65mm scope. I do not glass well with scopes so I’m choosing binos for better glassing over performance. So, for this category I’m most likely going to give the new 18x56 UHd’s a chance after speaking with Cody from Gohunt unless there are some other suggestions.

85mm scope will most likely be Swarovski however I’m strongly considering Zeiss as well.

I am not knowledgeable of Leica but would definitely consider them in either category.

Please,
Lend me your thoughts!

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Swarovski is a far better optic than a Vortex. There's a reason why everyone asks "How does this compare to the Swarovski"

It would be our pleasure to discuss optics with you when you have time. Please give us a call.
I'm back in the store 1st thing tomorrow, and everyday till Christmas. Have a great Thanksgiving.
OH, and don't eat too much at dinner, save room for dessert :)

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
Swarovski. Once you start using them you won’t want to use anything else. They are just amazing optics.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
The Swarovski is a far better optic than a Vortex. There's a reason why everyone asks "How does this compare to the Swarovski"

It would be our pleasure to discuss optics with you when you have time. Please give us a call.
I'm back in the store 1st thing tomorrow, and everyday till Christmas. Have a great Thanksgiving.
OH, and don't eat too much at dinner, save room for dessert :)

Doug are you with Swarovski?

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
"ultimately I want the best performance"

Then you need to forget about every other brand except the big 3. I would add Zeiss sf 10x42 to your list and consider those over swaro for the fact that they have a larger field of view at 1000 yards.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Swarovski. Once you start using them you won’t want to use anything else. They are just amazing optics.
Agreed I’ve been around Swarovski plenty just never personally owned it. Im truly curious on how the 50mm HD’s stack against the 42mm SLC’s. Obviously Swarovski is superior but 50mm also has a wider field of view which I’m definitely a fan of

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
"ultimately I want the best performance"

Then you need to forget about every other brand except the big 3. I would add Zeiss sf 10x42 to your list and consider those over swaro for the fact that they have a larger field of view at 1000 yards.
I hands down agree which is the only reason the HD 50’s are even being considered

My opinion and worth what you paid for it.

1st: Don't get cheap or value minded on the 10x. You will use these well over 90% of your glassing time. I repeat don't cut any corners on these.

2nd: Don't cut corners on the 10x, These will be your go to glass 90% of the time.

3rd: You will use the 10x 90% of the time, don't cut corners!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Beendare

WKR
Those 10x SLC's are $1599 now ...saw them somewhere on sale now. Great glass and pretty much the staple for out west- either those or the EL's.

I've used the Vortex 18s....and opted for the Meopta 15s instead [from Cameraland] The Swaro 15s are a tiny bit better....but at 2x the price. On a good tripod these big binos kill a scope, IMO.

A scope is my least used piece of gear.....

If money is truly no object....get the Swaro BTX/95mm. My guide buddy has those and there is nothing on the planet that compares.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Those 10x SLC's are $1599 now ...saw them somewhere on sale now. Great glass and pretty much the staple for out west- either those or the EL's.

I've used the Vortex 18s....and opted for the Meopta 15s instead [from Cameraland] The Swaro 15s are a tiny bit better....but at 2x the price. On a good tripod these big binos kill a scope, IMO.

If money is truly no object....get the Swaro BTX/95mm. My guide buddy has those and there is nothing on the planet that compares.

Moneys itsnt an issue until we start talking about 95mm BTX and EL’s 🤣😬. I’m not to that point in my life yet but I also want to buy the best that I am able to.

Tyglick

FNG
Swaro all the way. In my eyes. Best glass I’ve ever looked threw. I’ve got the el range 10x42 and atx 95mm. And am very happy with both. I used to have Leica 10x42 rangefinder binos and to me Leica and vortex are very similar. So if you are thinking that route. I’d say vortex and save some money. I would also recommend to get the 1.7 magnifier with swaro spotter. You will be thousands in so what is another $380?

Just to throw a wrench in things... 12x50 EL as a do it all bino is deadly. The expansive view is incredible. Pair that with a Kowa 77 or 88 spotter and go find some critters.

Money is the least factor? Sounds like you've already made your decision.

If you are only behind optics a few days a year and don't study things in too great of detail, don't waste your money on Swaro. If you make a living behind them, or inches matter most, buy the Swaro.

Remember, the most satisfaction you'll ever get from whatever optics you buy is the first time you use them. After that, utility goes down from there and the greater the cost, the higher the depreciation rate.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
If you are only behind optics a few days a year and don't study things in too great of detail, don't waste your money on Swaro. If you make a living behind them, or inches matter most, buy the Swaro.

Good advice. I looked through the Meoptas and the Swaro's and there was a difference, but not huge. I'm going to get the Swaro's, mostly because I'm an idiot.

BrentH

WKR

They are pretty much on sale everywhere right now, including Cabela’s. Combine that sale price with some gift cards discounted 14%, and 12% cash back from Active Junky, a guy can get some SLC’s for a hell of a price in the end.

tdhanses

WKR
Doug are you with Swarovski?
No he is a sponsor and will give you a great deal and you won’t deal with a more humble straight guy. I’ve bought a ton from Doug over the years, just say I’ve given him a budget and instead of taking it all he found me what I was looking for at half my budget. Now that was not for swaro but for my kids optic/@s.

Now Vortex shouldn’t even be on your mind if you want to do it right once, they are not top tier optics.

If anyone every sold their swaro to get cortex it’s because they needed money. You’ll see plenty of vortex in the classifieds of people going to swaro because they can finally afford it.

Swaro, Kowa, Leica and Zeiss are all that should be on your radar, imo.

Last edited: