Bulletproof Sandbag

So just before the winter rains I filled ten 6' long sand snakes with Quikrete gravel (harder than sand to leak out when they get old) and they are great. Nice even distribution of weight in the bed and smoothes the ride out too. But for flooding rains I need even more weight and have some extra bags that bring the total weight in the bed to 600lbs. Problem is, the bags aren't gonna hold up much longer. I don't want more snakes and much of the time these will be stored in my tool shed however, I do wanna place em in something that won't eventually rot and fail after sitting in the elements for a while. I also want to keep the general shape of the 50lb bags as they are good for securing cargo. I loooked at various plastic bags and ruled them out. I don't wanna spent coin on dry bags but there must be something in between that will last...............................right? Any suggestions? Gotta be tough so they can be tossed around in the bed.

muleman

WKR
Make a rack for tractor weights. The weights will last the rest of your life...

Maybe some rubbermade type boxes?
Make a homemade heavy duty cordura bag?
My favorite though is get some ar500 steel plates and make some hanging stands for them. Then you'd have targets wherever you go.

bmart2622

WKR
My FD made some out of old 5" supply hose. Very durable and you know it will hold up to the elements, it does involve some sew8ng though.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Gorilla tape the pi$$ out of them. I did it with those same Quikrete bags to make pack weights and for winter in the truck. Throw them in the back of the truck when not in use. Not the cheapest tape, but can hold the shape you need and, thus far, have been pretty bomb proof. I do use a lot of tape on them though.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The uv from the sun is the most problematic for the bags degrading need to cover them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
I like the fire hose idea. No need to even sew it. Just use a plug and a couple of hose clamps.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I don't wanna make more snakes, the sandbag shape is often helpful for securing items in the bed. And yes, the UV is my enemy (live in So. Cal) and I don't wanna use anything valuable enough to be theft-worthy. Might swing by the Army-Navy store.

Last edited:

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Go to the local tire shops and ask if they have any inner tubes with holes in them (that they are throwing out). I have a few sandbags that ride in my trucks made from these and they are great, way tougher than the old USGI sand bags I had before I made these.