Toughest vac seal bags

nn76858

FNG
Curious what brand of vacum bag rolls yall are using? I've noticed with my vacmaster bags im loosing my top seal a decent amount where the bag is folding some when I have meat in it and perhaps I'm getting a slight crease in bag? Or they could be just less tough in the freezer but seal is breaking after freezing within a couple weeks. I have a vacmaster sealer.....not a chamber and its a decent machine. Just curious if there was any brands of vac bags yall thought were tough or outperformed another brand......seems I had less problems with a seal using food saver brand bags.

jmez

WKR
I use food saver bags. I tried a few cheaper brands but had trouble with anything other than Food saver.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

JrCaps

FNG
Vacmaster 3 mil. I buy them on Amazon. If you put any bone in cuts just cover the sharp edges of the bone with folded over parchment paper so it doesn't puncture the seal.

Completely gave up on vacuum bags for game. I do not consume it quickly enough.

Saran wrap tightly then overwrap with freezer paper. Lasts forever
Yep, exactly. I have also found over the years that vacuum sealing works great for some things and not so much for others. Bone in cuts need to be covered with a bone guard. Bags used in a chamber vac seem to lose the seal easier. Best option is to seal it then heat shrink it. You need some really hot water or a heat chamber to accomplish this and who wants to mess with that?

I use a lot of different sizes of bags but all in 3 mil. Mostly for jerky, snack sticks, ham, and bacon. I vacuum seal premade meals before I go hunting and heat them up in boiling water at night. Works great for soups and stews as well and lay flat to freeze.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I've found that when I get creases in the seal, I packed too much in the bag. I have a chamber sealer. I buy all my bags, all 4 and 5 mil now from Vacuum Sealers Unlimited. I buy in bulk, almost always by the thousand and only when they are offering free shipping.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some bags are better than others, more importantly creases are no good, don't over stuff. I'll often run my sealer on "moist" (it heats the seal longer) and double seal a bag esp. if there was any moisture sucking through the seal as it sealed. Also I put stuff into bins so its not getting moved/shifted/knocked around alot.

I rolled the dice and tried out some premade 8"x12" bags this year and so far so good. I have rolls of bags too for packaging larger stuff but these work for a lot of my needs. I've only got a few months on these bags so far so I can't comment on multiyear yet for these ones. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096RBVQ8Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Completely gave up on vacuum bags for game. I do not consume it quickly enough.

Saran wrap tightly then overwrap with freezer paper. Lasts forever
How long does it take you to consume meat? Most stuff gets eaten in <2yrs for me but I have pulled out vac bags 3-4yrs old still doing fine, can't imagine needing longer than that?

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Some bags are better than others, more importantly creases are no good, don't over stuff. I'll often run my sealer on "moist" (it heats the seal longer) and double seal a bag esp. if there was any moisture sucking through the seal as it sealed. Also I put stuff into bins so its not getting moved/shifted/knocked around alot.

I rolled the dice and tried out some premade 8"x12" bags this year and so far so good. I have rolls of bags too for packaging larger stuff but these work for a lot of my needs. I've only got a few months on these bags so far so I can't comment on multiyear yet for these ones. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096RBVQ8Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

How long does it take you to consume meat? Most stuff gets eaten in <2yrs for me but I have pulled out vac bags 3-4yrs old still doing fine, can't imagine needing longer than that?
At last check, i have 2018/19 venison in the freezer.

When it comes to the seal, I almost always double up the time spent heating up the seal. Forces out any potential fluids that got in there. I also will do an additional seal after that as insurance. Ive done the meal/soup in a bag, reheat in water method for many years now, the double time and double seal method hasn't failed me yet. I would occasionally have a bag break open at the seal while being lifted out of water before doubling up.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Online company called "Out of Air" vacuum bags. I use them to package bbq for friends and family too. Super tough, great pricing, the roll material has a cutter built into the box. I believe they are available on Amazon now too. The absolute best pricing occurs around Black Friday typically with free shipping.

pirogue

WKR
My sealer is getting old, but I’ve found that the bags with one side similar to a grid type surface, don’t seal as easily as bags with both sides smooth.

For the most part I am in the camp of plastic warp and butcher paper for game meat just lost to many things to freezer burn in the past. That said we did pick up a new food saver sealer and bags this past season and used it for waterfowl and fish. Double sealed all the bags and so far no freezer burn / lost seals.
I would be interested in hearing from people using the chamber sealers though. Saw them in action in Alaska for fish and they were great.