Burns Not on Maps

Have you ever found a burn that was not on any burn layer? Came across this area in Colorado last year that looked like a relatively fresh burn, though I’m no expert on how to judge freshness. Probably observed 10-15 acres of burn sign but I’m not sure where it stopped. Just about every log laying down on the ground was at least partially turned to charcoal and there was a lot of growth on the forest floor that was not typical for that type of canopy.

Side note: despite all the growth, we found very little sign in this area, and it was a pretty isolated patch of ground.

E2EE1F91-A67A-4333-AFA2-81B20009557F.jpeg
3479A2CD-6D05-4BCC-BACB-51828D0ACA71.jpeg

The small trees are not burned, I would not consider that fresh. Its is probably older then burn data.
I would say that burn is older then the 5-6 ft trees.

OP
G
The small trees are not burned, I would not consider that fresh. Its is probably older then burn data.
I would say that burn is older then the 5-6 ft trees.
Ya. I almost didn’t post that picture because I had the same thought. The top and other side of the ridge (south facing) was pretty much devoid of anything taller than what was in my hand and that’s where I could see the deadfalls all burned up. You could see 100-200 yards through the trees. My guess, regardless of the age of the fire, is that this pic was at the edge. Didn’t take any pics of the main area.

Ya. I almost didn’t post that picture because I had the same thought. The top and other side of the ridge (south facing) was pretty much devoid of anything taller than what was in my hand and that’s where I could see the deadfalls all burned up. You could see 100-200 yards through the trees. My guess, regardless of the age of the fire, is that this pic was at the edge. Didn’t take any pics of the main area.
Imo that is more bedding cover.

Is there anywhere with grass close buy?

Did the south face have grass?

OP
G
Imo that is more bedding cover.

Is there anywhere with grass close buy?

Did the south face have grass?
There was some private ground .5-1 mile away that they fed on. The private was almost all grass so I know they went to public when done feeding but we couldn’t see from the glassing spot exactly where they exited and couldn’t find it on the ground either.

Wellsdw

WKR
Possibly a small fire that skunked around just ahead of a rain front? I noticed pine cones weren’t involved nor small trees (as stated above) Also probably not large enough or little to no resources were used, so never entered into mapping software

CMF

WKR
Does anyone know how to get updated satellite imagery for burned areas? I know google earth as of Sep.2022 was not updated from an Oct. 2020 fire. The burn showed up on Onx burn layer, but the satellite imagery was not up to date. It would be nice to look for pockets that may have survived and may provide bedding cover.