Burris FF 3-9x40mm Drop Eval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is a partial eval mainly focusing only on the zeroing and drop portions. This scope is old- 2004’ish. It has been used quite a bit. I have gotten a bunch of requests to do normal, sort of older common hunting scopes, and the Burris FF and FFII have been among them.

Scope and weight: when
IMG_6900.jpeg

Turrets:

IMG_6901.jpeg

Reticle:

Simple BDC type.

Zeroing:

Scope was mounted as standard with Vortex Pro rings. The rings were degreased and installed with 30 in-lbs on base screws, and 18 in-lbs on ring cap screws.

Bore sight, one shot, adjust, next three on the center orange dot. Adjusted right .75 MOA.

IMG_6910.jpeg

Drop Evaluation RTZ and “Tracking”:

For an explanation see- Scope Field Eval Explanation and Standards

The “test” consists of three 18” drops on a mat- one left/right/top with a shot to check zero after each drop. Then the exact same thing repeated from 36”. Then three drops on all three sides for nine drops on the last part- 15 drops total. This is not “abuse”. The 18” drops are a joke really. The 36” start showing something. And when a scope make/model consistently goes through the whole thing without losing zero, and makes it through the high round count portion, failures in actual use are almost unheard of.

This one was conducted on soft soil.

The baseline 30 round group with this lot of ammunition was 1.6” at 100 yards.

No issue at all through the single 18” and 36” drops. The 9x36” drops at the end caused a major shift high and right (shot marked 8). Shot three more without adjusting- those are below shot 8.
IMG_6911.jpeg

Adjusted off of the last three, and shot at the far right dot on the zero target-
IMG_6912.jpeg

IMG_6825.jpeg

IMG_6830.jpeg

IMG_6832.jpeg

Conclusion:

The Vortex Pro are suspect as similar zero shifts from the 9x36” drops have happened with three scopes now- all dramatically high impacts. Also on another scope eval, a base screw broke on a set of PMR rings. NF 1” rings are on the way.

The scope itself is generally known as a relatively durable inexpensive option. It was known as a pretty durable scope for the type back when it was bought, and over the 20 years that I and others have used it- I have not seen any major issues with it. It’s cerua lenient a long range scope, and I would need to see more of them go through heavy use to fully state anything, but for me, with this specific scope and don’t have any issues using it for hunting where it fits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.