Maven rs1.2 2.5-15x44 user drop eval

OP
H
Good shooting. 06-ish recoil in a 8-1/4 to 8-1/2 pound rifle, for 30 rounds, is not insignificant and would have whooped my ass (and has). Curious to know your setup for doing this test (off pack, off bipod, rear rest. etc.)
I shot prone off my backpack and used a wadded up 1996 St Louis Rams towel as a rear bag.

I think the system is much more accurate than my 2" 30rd group. I have trouble with consistency when I get that many rounds in shooting prone without taking a decent break between shot strings.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What do you think the chances are it still functions as it should with the slightly bent turret and what is the most common failure mode mode of this?

I would spot bed the tang and lug with 5min JB Weld, remount everything and go forth to slay. The scope holds zero. If you don’t have issues rezeroing, it’s fine. .1 mil shifts without a bonded chassis is very hard to detect and eliminate.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
Nice job! Takes some cajones to drop on that surface! But now you know you have a solid system.

sndmn11

WKR
Because I was distracted from my work, I decided to go ahead and check level on my scope.

Definitely shifted poi. I first eyeballed it looking at my rifle, and the scope looks like it's canted counterclockwise looking from rear.

Put a level on it and the action. This is definitely not how I set it up a few weeks ago. I'll remount the scope, and try again.

View attachment 672492
Unscrew the cap and see if the brass spindle moved.
Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 4.11.07 PM.png

OP
H
Update.

The turret is bent, but the scope is not broken and functions as it should, as far as my shooting ability can tell.

I went out today and did the following without touching the scope except for twisting the elevation turret after last weekend's debacle to make sure it still works:

1. Zero check 10 rd
2. Zero adjust verification 10 rd
3. Tall tracking test 10 rd each setting
4. RTZ 5 rd

A caveat with the zero check is that today was at the range, shooting from a bench. I shot off a sandbag using a rabbit ear thing as my rear. Generally, prone to bench will change my zero a bit, but not very much.

Below are two target's from last weekend on left and today's 10rd zero check on the right. Bottom left target is 8 rd zero adjust verification and 18" drops. Zero was very close to bull. Top left target involves 36" drops that bent my turret and also obviously knocked something out of alignment. Right target is zero check today. Obviously, the zero is off by about 0.2 right and 0.2 down. Today is very close to the last drop test shots I did. Keep in mind, the zero shift could be from the stock/action shifting, but considering I bent the elevation turret ... Likely from the scope.

1000000725.jpg

Adjusted 0.2 mil up and 0.2 mil left. Then shot 10. It looks like it adjusted fairly closely, but is a little more than a mil further left than it should be. It's possible that during the drops, something bound up and didn't come loose with shooting, but adjusting the windage turret released it, so it's now sitting where it originally was before dropping it at 36". It's hard to say... Just guessing here. I put a small dot with a pen where the group center is.

This also contains the RTZ shots. 5 rounds, 210ish mils dialed between shots. All inside the same group from zero adjust verification.
1000000726.jpg

Tracking test. I'd planned on doing 10 mils at 100 yds, but I didn't realize that at the range the berm in front of the targets would block my lower bull from view. I improvised and with a couple of extra bulls I put on the board. They looked like a hair over 7.5 mils. I dialed 7.5 mils for some reason. Should have been 7.6.

I had put two bulls 10 mils apart on the target, drew a straight line between, and made sure it was plumb when mounting the target. This ended up being a line I used to make sure my reticle was plumb.

Shot 1 at lower target. Dialed 7.5 up and shot aiming at lower target. Dialed back down and repeated. 10 rds on each target. I used the 36" target line as a plumb line to make sure my reticle was plumb since I didn't have one on the target I was aiming at.

Target bulls are 27.5 on center. I drew the lines after getting home to see if the scope tracks vertically and give and indication of where it should have adjusted to and where it actually adjusted to. The top bull is a little left of the plumb line, so try to ignore the top bull itself. The X on the top is the actual bull location (but a little high).

Expected distance between poa/poi is 27.0 inches. Actual distance between poa/poi is 27.3. the 7.5 mil dialed group is about 1/8" left of the plumb line. Probably within my shooting error.

Vertical tacking error is 1.09%. Not bad considering I suck at shooting and I nearly broke my scope being a dumb F*%+ last weekend.

1000000723.jpg

1000000722.jpg

Overall, I think the scope is pretty spot on for my accuracy, despite my best efforts to break it. Maybe these results would be different with a better shooter and collimator. I don't know. I'm satisfied and don't plan on abusing Maven's warranty and CS. Kudos Maven, please do this with your RS.2. now I need to go throw it around some more.

1000000721.jpg

Attachments

• 1000000723.jpg
    1000000723.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: