Maven rs1.2 2.5-15x44 user drop eval

I completed a drop eval with my Maven RS. 1.2 scope today.

Rifle is Tikka with a factory stock free floated and vertical grip
Action screws degreased and loctited and torqued to 65-in lb
Scope rings are sports match. T084 with the screws Degreased and loctited. Rail screws torqued to 45 inch pounds and bring cap screws torqued to 25-in lb.

Cartridge is 30-284ai, basically a 30-06, shooting 185 juggernauts at about 2, 800fps.

I used 1.5 in circles for the Target.

The drop surface was probably too hard. The ground was frozen, solid dirt and rock mixture. I used a foam therm arrest sleeping pad. I completed the 18 inch drops solely on that, and after seeing how much the rifle bounced, and how hard the ground is, I put my windshield sunblocker underneath for the 36-in drops. For the first couple 36-in drops, I only had the windshield sunblocker doubled over. The rifle still bounced like crazy, so on the triple 36-in drops I doubled over the windshield sunblocker again and that seemed to help a little bit.

I first did a 30 round group to get the group size and zero. Group size is about 1.75 , possibly closer to 2 in in one dimension.

1000000681.jpg

I adjusted the scope 0.1 right and 0.1 down, then shot five to confirm.

1000000682.jpg

I then did the 18-in drops. Once on the left, then shot around. Once on the top, then shot around. Once on the right side, then shot around. I used the same target as the zero confirm. These were done using only my foam sleeping pad. No failure at all with the 18-in drops.

1000000685.jpg

I then did the single 36-in drops. The rifle bounced like hell. The surface was probably too hard for how little padding I had. After the first drop on the left side and the subsequent shot, I decided to shoot two more before dropping again because it seemed like there could have been a shift. You can see shots two and three were a little closer to center. I then put my windshield sunblocker doubled over underneath for extra padding. The rifle still bounced pretty hard on the next two drops. I then did a drop on the top side, and a single shot, number four. Then a drop on the right side, and a single shot, number five. They look like they are all in the zeroed cone of fire based on the 30 round group, but the first shot could be on the edge or slightly out.

1000000686.jpg

Drop surface for the top and right side 36-in drops

1000000683.jpg

I then did the 3x36-in drops on each side with a shot after each side. For these drops, I doubled over my windshield sunblocker again for extra padding (4 layers now) and the rifle still bounced pretty well. The surface underneath is probably too hard. There is a second shot for the right side because I had a single round left.

1000000687.jpg

It's possible something shifted to the right after the first couple of drops at 36 in. The edge shots are on the very edge of what would be the 30 round shot cone, but if there are no shift I would expect them to be closer to center of the target.

Next time I go out, I will shoot 5 to 10 shots without touching the scope to see where they land. Draw your own conclusions, but to me it looks like there was a slight shift to the right.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Next time I go out, I will shoot 5 to 10 shots without touching the scope to see where they land. Draw your own conclusions, but to me it looks like there was a slight shift to the right.

Good job on doing it. The reason for the 30 rounds is to find the true cone- regardless of what it looks like, if the shot lands within the cone it counts. All of those shots are inside your original cone.

OP
H
Got some measurements on it.

Largest dimension is about 2.4 across outside edges.

The one shot on the right looks like it's marginally out. I'd call it a shift. We'll see what my zero is next time.

1000000689.jpg1000000692.jpg1000000694.jpg

Bluumoon

WKR
Thanks for another data point.

You already identified what I would suggest. Your surface looks even harder than the one I dropped my Maven on initially, mine was cringe worthy. Would recommend looking closer at the suggested surfaces again to avoid breakage. Would be nice if we could have a standard/approved pad to test drop on. I switched to a semi stiff foam dog bed (Astral pfd foam dog bed) about 4-5" thick and would have zero qualms about repeating drop tests on it.

OP
H
Thanks for another data point.

You already identified what I would suggest. Your surface looks even harder than the one I dropped my Maven on initially, mine was cringe worthy. Would recommend looking closer at the suggested surfaces again to avoid breakage. Would be nice if we could have a standard/approved pad to test drop on. I switched to a semi stiff foam dog bed (Astral pfd foam dog bed) about 4-5" thick and would have zero qualms about repeating drop tests on it.

Yea I had planned on taking a thick pad with me and forgot to grab it. The sleeping pad and windshield mat were the only items I had in the vehicle.

I'll check zero w 10 next time and also take a thick pad with me to redo the drop test if needed. If the zero is good without adjustment, I'll finish the eval with return to zero testing and tracking testing.

It is possible that with that hard surface and the first 36" drop that I shifted either the scope in the rings or action in the stock. I'll check the scope/action level today to see if any scope movement is detectable. Even though the action is torqued to 65 inlbs w thread locker, that is a possible failure point because Form said he's observed small shifts in the factory stock even when mounted that way. It sounds like it takes permanent bonding to prevent poi shift from action/stock movement.

If I get too anxious about it, I can mount my swfa 3-9 on it and see what happens. I haven't drop tested that scope, but it may help in diagnosing if it is a scope shift or action stock shift.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cartridge is 30-284ai, basically a 30-06, shooting 185 juggernauts at about 2, 800fps.
Not to highjack but did you go this route to shoot long heaviers in the tikka chassis while maintaining a standard bolt face? IE compared to 300wsm for instance. More of a unique caliber so just curious. :)

That's great that you're testing your own scope instead of relying on someone else's drop-testing. I'm very interested in the Maven for my next scope since I need one more for hunting.

OP
H
Not to highjack but did you go this route to shoot long heaviers in the tikka chassis while maintaining a standard bolt face? IE compared to 300wsm for instance. More of a unique caliber so just curious. :)

100%.

I was shooting a Tikka 30-06 and wanted to shoot the 200gr bullets while maximizing powder capacity and keeping bullet of of powder column... Tikka mag COL is an issue at 3.35ish being max.

So, if you take the Lapua 284win case and AI it, you get about 70.25 gr water capacity, which is a touch more than what 30-06 usually is stated to be (68gr H20 capacity) and you can shoot 200gr from a Tikka mag keeping the bearing surface above the neck/shoulder junction.

Here's a 200gr eldx seated w bearing surface just above neck/shoulder junction. COL is 3.220. Unfortunately, I didn't spec my reamer to be able to load these 200gr eldx. I used 200gr game kings, which are shorter and they're unobtainable. So I need to get it throated at some point to test the 200gr eldx.

If I had a LA gun, like a sako s20 30-06, I'd AI that chamber, throat it out to seat appropriately, and I bet you'd have huge powder capacity.

1000000698.jpg1000000700.jpg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cool. I get where you were coming from, I have a tikka 280AI but its on the M695 action which has a longer COAL allowance than the T3/T3x, otherwise it'd be the same issue. I am putting a regular 284win barrel on one of my tikka T3s soon (waiting for it still) for the same kinda reason (good case capacity while fitting the T3 length well).

Anyways, back to the scope drops! ;)

OP
H
Because I was distracted from my work, I decided to go ahead and check level on my scope.

Definitely shifted poi. I first eyeballed it looking at my rifle, and the scope looks like it's canted counterclockwise looking from rear.

Put a level on it and the action. This is definitely not how I set it up a few weeks ago. I'll remount the scope, and try again.

1000000703.jpg

ljalberta

WKR
Is your top turret level? I’m guessing yes if you’re going it this way, but I know my SWFA 3-9 top turret has a wicked cant to it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Be careful on leveling the turret after dropping, bending a turret isn’t unheard of.

And really, really pay attention what you are dropping it on. Dropping scopes on the hard ground most are doing it in will break scopes.

100%.

I was shooting a Tikka 30-06 and wanted to shoot the 200gr bullets while maximizing powder capacity and keeping bullet of of powder column... Tikka mag COL is an issue at 3.35ish being max.

So, if you take the Lapua 284win case and AI it, you get about 70.25 gr water capacity, which is a touch more than what 30-06 usually is stated to be (68gr H20 capacity) and you can shoot 200gr from a Tikka mag keeping the bearing surface above the neck/shoulder junction.

Here's a 200gr eldx seated w bearing surface just above neck/shoulder junction. COL is 3.220. Unfortunately, I didn't spec my reamer to be able to load these 200gr eldx. I used 200gr game kings, which are shorter and they're unobtainable. So I need to get it throated at some point to test the 200gr eldx.

If I had a LA gun, like a sako s20 30-06, I'd AI that chamber, throat it out to seat appropriately, and I bet you'd have huge powder capacity.

View attachment 672469View attachment 672470

200.20x Berger! Way shorter bearing surface.

OP
H
Is your top turret level? I’m guessing yes if you’re going it this way, but I know my SWFA 3-9 top turret has a wicked cant to it.
It's no level any longer as shown in the picture. When setting up the scope initially, I used the pictured level on the turret and set up a laser level to project a plumb and level line on the wall to match the reticle up to in order to verify that the turret cap was actually level to the scope reticle.

Be careful on leveling the turret after dropping, bending a turret isn’t unheard of.

And really, really pay attention what you are dropping it on. Dropping scopes on the hard ground most are doing it in will break scopes.

I'll get out the laser level later to check the reticle against the turret. Hopefully it's not bent.

Drenalin

WKR
Good shooting. 06-ish recoil in a 8-1/4 to 8-1/2 pound rifle, for 30 rounds, is not insignificant and would have whooped my ass (and has). Curious to know your setup for doing this test (off pack, off bipod, rear rest. etc.)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I want to proof a couple setups and also flush out some suspect scopes I have on hand, I salvaged some foam from a camper mattress the kids complained was too soft (bottom out), was planning on using 5" of that as a crash pad since I'm normally shooting on hard pack dirt. Sound suitable?

Bluumoon

WKR
I want to proof a couple setups and also flush out some suspect scopes I have on hand, I salvaged some foam from a camper mattress the kids complained was too soft (bottom out), was planning on using 5" of that as a crash pad since I'm normally shooting on hard pack dirt. Sound suitable?
You happen to have a paco pad ? I'd be concerned about too soft of foam and still contacting hard earth, could put Paco under or over the camper mattress. In other words don't be me.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Probably not. You don’t want it to bottom out, nor be so soft it absorbed all the force. You are looking for something that resembles wet sand on a beach. Really soft grass and dirt (golf course, manicured lawn) with a shooting mat over it works fine.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Probably not. You don’t want it to bottom out, nor be so soft it absorbed all the force. You are looking for something that resembles wet sand on a beach. Really soft grass and dirt (golf course, manicured lawn) with a shooting mat over it works fine.
Hmmm this might be a good base (IE the soft grass) to put something a bit stiffer over so its not too soft but should definitely avoid too hard and bottoming out/bending a scope. I sewed a 500D case up quick to stuff that foam into so that will stiffen up things somewhat, I'll play around with dropping some stuff on it. I got a 3' breaker bar that can be my mock rifle initially. :p

OP
H

She's bent!! A small amount. I verified it with laser level matched to reticle, took the turret locking cap off (has a couple of raised nicks) and checked level of the uncapped turret. It's a bit off.

Looking closer at the turret, you can see the slight tilt to the left looking at the gap between turret and scope tube.

It seems to spin just fine. No binding, etc.

The scope itself is ever so slightly canted CCW. Such a small amount that it could be within my error when I mounted it and it didn't move during testing. I will leave it mounted as is for now.

What do you think the chances are it still functions as it should with the slightly bent turret and what is the most common failure mode mode of this?

In the next week, I'll check zero, test RTZ and live fire tracking per your field eval method.

Hopefully, there's no issues. I don't want to use/abuse Maven's warranty for being a dunce.

1000000705.jpg