Butchering a Moose

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen this video a couple times since it came out and thought it was the best video I’ve seen on it!

Made it about half east through. Good watch. Will finish tomorrow.

I liked how he put the game bag on the front quarter, but doesn’t that leave the shoulder end (and a ton of surface area) exposed? Maybe that is addressed later on in the video. If not how is that dealt with later on?

Good video Brad. For this season I decided to add a dedicated boning knife to my toolkit. The video is pretty clear about the advantages.

I'd like to emphasize.......don't get in a hurry to cut the legs off as that leverage is so important.
I can see the advantages of that, but I can't stand seeing hooves on a quarter once it's in a game bag. Ever try using a meat hook? I grew up in a butcher shop and the first step after getting an animal in the cradle is getting the hooves off. Dirtiest part of the animal. I get extremely bothered seeing some youtube or internet hunter going on about how they hunt for their quality meat and they got a game bag with a feces/bacteria covered hoof sticking out the top in the rain and all that crap is running down the meat.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Better yet sliding the bag over the hoof that is going to touch the meat? I couldn’t make it much past that part. Very little I do the same as the vid but whatever works for you.

VernAK

WKR
I can see the advantages of that, but I can't stand seeing hooves on a quarter once it's in a game bag. Ever try using a meat hook? I grew up in a butcher shop and the first step after getting an animal in the cradle is getting the hooves off. Dirtiest part of the animal. I get extremely bothered seeing some youtube or internet hunter going on about how they hunt for their quality meat and they got a game bag with a feces/bacteria covered hoof sticking out the top in the rain and all that crap is running down the meat.
Agreed....no longer important to retain the leg once it's off the moose IMO.......The leverage is for turning the carcass over.