Butchering question- hanging from a gambrel hoist

mi650

WKR
We butchered our own for about 10 years, took a break from it for a few years going back to a butcher, started back up doing it ourselves a couple years ago. I do the outside work, then bring it inside for my wife to grind, vac seal, etc.

I've always hung them from a gambrel hoist in my garage, used to have a cheap manual one, now that I'm old, fat, and broken, I use an electric hoist from Cabelas. Regardless of which kind, I've always had a problem with the deer moving around or spinning while I'm trying to work. Wasn't as much of a problem when my son lived at home and helped.

I've never come up with a good idea to help hold them still. Tie a front leg off to something while I cut the other off, but then what for the other side? Tie off the neck? I don't think that would keep it from spinning.

Anyone have a good solution? An extra pair of hands would be ideal, and my wife would do it if I asked. I don't want to ask her though, she's more broken than I am.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
Between my knees, hips, and back, I physically can't.

I wasn't kidding about being old, fat, and broken. :ROFLMAO:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I had a similar problem with my meat pole (heavy metal pipe) in Missouri. I fashioned a metal clamp on device that secures one side of the gambrel directly to the metal pole. Sorry, I have no pictures but it works well.

Tod osier

WKR
We butchered our own for about 10 years, took a break from it for a few years going back to a butcher, started back up doing it ourselves a couple years ago. I do the outside work, then bring it inside for my wife to grind, vac seal, etc.

I've always hung them from a gambrel hoist in my garage, used to have a cheap manual one, now that I'm old, fat, and broken, I use an electric hoist from Cabelas. Regardless of which kind, I've always had a problem with the deer moving around or spinning while I'm trying to work. Wasn't as much of a problem when my son lived at home and helped.

I've never come up with a good idea to help hold them still. Tie a front leg off to something while I cut the other off, but then what for the other side? Tie off the neck? I don't think that would keep it from spinning.

Anyone have a good solution? An extra pair of hands would be ideal, and my wife would do it if I asked. I don't want to ask her though, she's more broken than I am.
Have the woman hold a leg. It isn't that big an ask. She can sit in a chair and hold with one hand and drink a coffee or beer on the other.

Don’t hang it from a gambrel while you break it down unless you secure it from moving. Hang it from one hind leg and let the other just hang out to the side or tie it to the other leg till it’s time to break it down. I hung WG for over 30 years from one roller hook and tied the other leg up. Cut the string when it’s time and that’s the first leg to come off.

If you tie one side of the gambrel off tight it will help a lot. It also is pretty much out of the way.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
Have the woman hold a leg. It isn't that big an ask. She can sit in a chair and hold with one hand and drink a coffee or beer on the other.
Up & down the stairs getting to and from the garage is an issue, but she has to do it anytime she leaves the house so it's not insurmountable.

OP
mi650

mi650

WKR
Don’t hang it from a gambrel while you break it down unless you secure it from moving. Hang it from one hind leg and let the other just hang out to the side or tie it to the other leg till it’s time to break it down. I hung WG for over 30 years from one roller hook and tied the other leg up. Cut the string when it’s time and that’s the first leg to come off.
I could probably come up with a hook or something for this. I've used the gambrel because it's what I have.

JrCaps

FNG
You could always hoist it from the neck with a winch how the south Texas guys do with nilgai.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
If you have gutted it in the field, lay it on a stainless steel table to quarter it. No need to hang it.

For a rope pulley, I attached an eye hook to a beam in my garage wall to tie off. Moving forward I’m going to a chain hoist to avoid the rope pulley issues, harbor freight has a chain hoist that stops and can be easily tied off for extra precaution. 65 bucks. Used one in Montana with elk this past season and it was easy for one person to do the hoisting and setup.

Many years ago I modified a single tree to a preferred length. The critters can't fall off of the hooks.

To keep it from spinning I use some baling twin and attach a front leg to a stable feature (tree in the woods or a nail in the barn). I cut deer in halves and elk in quarters for convenience.