Buying insoles to try boots on with

Anyone ever done this? A few months back I bought and returned a bunch of boots to try on in sizes 9.5 and 10. I settled on the Crispi Nevadas in 9.5 as fitting the best as far as heel slip and sitting in them for a while. The 10s were very close though, and since it seemed like the stock insoles in the Crispis were kind of cheap, I'm wondering if with aftermarket insoles the 10s would fit better. Thicker insoles might take up that small amount of space in the heel pocket that was allowing my heels to slip a tiny amount. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and buying some insoles and using those in the boots I'm trying on.

Also I've gained about 20lbs since then on a bulk. Likely will lose some over the course of the season, but I'm wondering how that affects boot sizing.

I like the Superfeet brand insoles. I’ve been using this brand for more than 20 years and come from a backpacking/hiking background. Since you mentioned that you’ve gained some weight and you think that the insole height might be an issue, you can check into the different options they offer for insole height and stiffness.

You can get them at most good sporting goods stores, or camping stores like REI. If you go to a hiking/backpacking place, they’ll usually help fit you for what will work best for long hikes and carrying loads in a backpack.

OP
T
I like the Superfeet brand insoles. I’ve been using this brand for more than 20 years and come from a backpacking/hiking background. Since you mentioned that you’ve gained some weight and you think that the insole height might be an issue, you can check into the different options they offer for insole height and stiffness.

You can get them at most good sporting goods stores, or camping stores like REI. If you go to a hiking/backpacking place, they’ll usually help fit you for what will work best for long hikes and carrying loads in a backpack.
I hate not purchased any new boots yet so I can vary what insoles I do with what sizes. Greens are pretty much the standard for Superfeet insoles correct?

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Same boat as you. Foot measuring device says wide 9.5's. I went with the Crispi Nevada's in a 10W with the green superfeet and they've felt great since day one.

A half size up with superfeet insoles will probably feel real good on your feet.
I think size "E" would fit a 9.5 or 10 in superfeet sizing.
I'd pick those up first and then take your insoles ion with you when you try on boots for sure.