Who else couldn't get Kenetreks to work

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 400 g Mtn Extremes for over a year now. At least 200 miles on mine. They are the comfiest, best fitting boots I've ever used. As long as I don't climb hills. The second I start hitting any sort of incline these boots destroy my heels. I've tried different lacing techniques. Ive tried 5 insoles now. My sheepfeet from my Crispis, Superfeet orange and trailblazers, and the Sole thick and medium insoles. I've tried different socks, 2 socks. Absolutely everything I could think of and as soon as I hit an incline my heels get obliterated. It sucks because the last and general shape of the boot fits me so good. I'm throwing in the towel with these. They just don't work for what I need them for. Anyone else find a possible solution?

They did not work for me either. I just prefer more flex in a boot. They really seemed to mess up my feet.
I have a pair of corrie hikers that seem to work alittle better.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, heel slippage can be a problem with the stiffer soled boots. I struck out with two pairs of Desert Guides(different sizes), but I have had good luck with Hardscrabbles.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, they were so comfy, but I had just the slightest amount of heel slippage with them on steep terrain. I switched to Crispi and have been happy.

Mikido

WKR
Love these threads. Every foot is different. Good fitting boots fit good out box. Don’t force it. (Mountain extremes happen to work for me from day 1)

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried Kenetrek twice and I guess my feet just aren't made for them. Crispi and Lowa never give me trouble.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anyone else find a possible solution?
Have you tried Leukotape?

When I elk hunt I'm going to be hitting the steeps. Every boot I've ever worn puts more pressure on my heels when I'm climbing. So I tape up with two layers on each heel on day 1 and it stays on until I'm in the shower on day whatever I get home. Never had a problem with blisters.

I’m having the same problem they are great until I’m starting with up an incline. I haven’t put the full 50 mile break in on them yet, I am probably in the 30 mile marker. At this point I just put lueko tape on my heels and hope for the best until the break in period. I’m nervous though that illl have the same experience you have had.

OP
B

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried Leukotape?

When I elk hunt I'm going to be hitting the steeps. Every boot I've ever worn puts more pressure on my heels when I'm climbing. So I tape up with two layers on each heel on day 1 and it stays on until I'm in the shower on day whatever I get home. Never had a problem with blisters.
I can't stand how Leukotape goobs up my nice socks. And imo, having to use it is more sign of a bad boot design or boot that doesn't work with you

Kenetreks we’re my first really stiff boot, and I had the same problem and quickly figured out that there’s a certain way to walk up a steep hill while wearing stiff boots, vs a more flexible shoe/boot. In my instance, the heel slip issue went away after the boots were broken in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CM

WKR
I've worn soles out on ~8 of Kenetreks and have owned/own probably 12 different pairs. 2 of them burned up my heels, one was a pair of Hardscrabble Hikers and the other was a pair of NI Mountain Guides. No matter what I did with those 2 pairs I couldn't get them to work. I am convinced that there was no amount of break in I could do to make those two pairs work. The other ~10 pairs have been great.

I am not sure what was different between the boots that work and those two pairs that didn't. I know 3 or 4 years ago they redesigned the heel cup to help with rubbing. Some of the ones that work for me were before that redesign though.

They destroyed my heels way after the 50 mile break in, I put 120 miles on them and finally had enough when I was packing an elk out. The are a great quality boot but SO many people have heel issues with them, I personally know multiple people with the same issue. Crispi's are my go to know and have been for a while.

BBB

FNG
I run a pair of CRISPI briksdaal as I love stiff boots. My Kenetrek are very comfortable but only wear them around town, the heel slippage is horrible on steep hills.

Hi everyone; just wanted to chime in and see if I can help. When it comes to heel lift, there are several important things to keep in mind. Ideally you want your heel to be snugly locked into the heel cup, blisters occur when the heel is able to lift out of the cup and rub against the back of the boot.

There can be several reasons the heel is able to lift out; it could be that the boots are too large, or that the boots don't have sufficient break in and flex in the midsole (we recommend 50 miles). Also, it could be that orthotics/aftermarket insoles are too thick and lift the foot up, preventing the heel from seating into the cup properly, or it could just boil down to the anatomical shape of your heel. Everyone's feet are unique, and we designed the boots to fit as many people as possible, but there are a few exceptions. No boot brand fits all feet so it is important that you try them on and make sure the fit is good before going on a big trip.

We can actually spot stretch heels, or bunions, or toe areas as well as overall width stretches. We can do this at any time, all you have to do is get the boots to us! This isn't the only modification we can do either, if you give our customer service team a call we can help you get your boots fitting properly and ready for your next hunt. We want you to be happy with your boots so don't ever hesitate to call.

Hi everyone; just wanted to chime in and see if I can help. When it comes to heel lift, there are several important things to keep in mind. Ideally you want your heel to be snugly locked into the heel cup, blisters occur when the heel is able to lift out of the cup and rub against the back of the boot.

There can be several reasons the heel is able to lift out; it could be that the boots are too large, or that the boots don't have sufficient break in and flex in the midsole (we recommend 50 miles). Also, it could be that orthotics/aftermarket insoles are too thick and lift the foot up, preventing the heel from seating into the cup properly, or it could just boil down to the anatomical shape of your heel. Everyone's feet are unique, and we designed the boots to fit as many people as possible, but there are a few exceptions. No boot brand fits all feet so it is important that you try them on and make sure the fit is good before going on a big trip.

We can actually spot stretch heels, or bunions, or toe areas as well as overall width stretches. We can do this at any time, all you have to do is get the boots to us! This isn't the only modification we can do either, if you give our customer service team a call we can help you get your boots fitting properly and ready for your next hunt. We want you to be happy with your boots so don't ever hesitate to call.
Kudos to Kenetrek for participating in the forum! Boot’s definitely are not a one size fits all solution, but this is great to see.