Buying my first used boat today...

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
After inquiring on dozens and looking at a few used bass boats up close, I think I've found one I'm going to be buying today. Making a 2 hr drive to see a one owner 2005 G3 HP180 (w Yamaha 115 4 stroke). In the colder temps we're having today, chances are I won't get to hear the motor crank over... Boat's a one owner and looks super clean, around $10Kish. My son and his best buddy (I'll be their driver) will be getting started fishing state High School tournaments. The used boat market is ridiculous, I've missed out on several by being a day (or 5 minutes) late. This is what we're looking for. Any major concerns or cautions?

I think you’re good. We have five G3’s for our guests to use up in AK. They can go self guided if they chose. The boats handle well and are practically indestructible. Have had a grizz or two get into them and tear up the seats and the floor once, but you probably don’t need to worry about that.
We run 90s on ours

Moserkr

WKR
Not sure why you cant crank the outboard over in cold temps on muffs or a can. They are usually built to drain and dont need near the winterizing that an i/o does. That would concern me. You could at least check compression without fully firing her up too.

One thing to be concerned about in that era of G3 is transom rot. They used treated wood in the transom. The chemicals used to treat the wood don't mix well with the aluminum hull. Eventually you'll end up with blistering paint and then holes in your transom. Do a search online about it and you'll see it's very common. Be cautious.

Moserkr

WKR
One thing to be concerned about in that era of G3 is transom rot. They used treated wood in the transom. The chemicals used to treat the wood don't mix well with the aluminum hull. Eventually you'll end up with blistering paint and then holes in your transom. Do a search online about it and you'll see it's very common. Be cautious.
Wow that is not good. Good intel right there. No way to check either without removing the motor and transom.

When I rebuilt my aluminum boat the transom had a lot of pitting just from the zinc hardware my PO used. Mine was a 1979, not a 2005 though. I would tear that wood out immediately upon purchase and replace which at least is easy. Consider it a manufacturer defect (mistake).

Wow that is not good. Good intel right there. No way to check either without removing the motor and transom.

When I rebuilt my aluminum boat the transom had a lot of pitting just from the zinc hardware my PO used. Mine was a 1979, not a 2005 though. I would tear that wood out immediately upon purchase and replace which at least is easy. Consider it a manufacturer defect (mistake).
In the case of my G3, it wasn't easy. All welded. Finding someone to do the work was tough, and in the end it wasn't worth the hassle. Put a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure many of the G3 boats are just fine. But there's a significant amount in that era that weren't.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Agree w/ @Red Letters … no way I would purchase without turning over and letting it run with the muffs or one thing I’ve done is put the foot in a garbage can with water..

I strongly strongly encourage you to actually run it . Even as cold as it is.. A lot of problems will manifest (missing / skipping, carb sticking)..

Sorry to bust your bubble but advice coming from experience, tears and beers trying to figure out things

OP
tp308

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
In the case of my G3, it wasn't easy. All welded. Finding someone to do the work was tough, and in the end it wasn't worth the hassle. Put a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure many of the G3 boats are just fine. But there's a significant amount in that era that weren't.
Best way to inspect the transom while I’m there?

OP
tp308

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a way I can inspect the transom while I’m there?… complete boat newbie here

ChrisA

WKR
Is there a way I can inspect the transom while I’m there?… complete boat newbie here
Never been around a G3 but look for bubbling paint on transom, swollen areas on transom, discoloration or stains around and below scuppers (drain holes) and engine bolts, take a screw out or cap off the top of transom then poke around with screwdriver or awl feeling for soft spots.

Not sure why you cant crank the outboard over in cold temps on muffs or a can. They are usually built to drain and dont need near the winterizing that an i/o does. That would concern me. You could at least check compression without fully firing her up too.
I bought a boat once without checking compression. Started and idled great on muffs. Once on the water wouldn't power up.... One cylinder only had like 40psi. Lesson learned

Any boat purchase should always be contingent on a survey by a professional boat surveyor and sea trial. A refundable 10% (of agreed upon purchase price) deposit holds the boat until the above can be successfully completed within the agreed upon timeline. If a seller has an issue with any of that, walk....

Best way to inspect the transom while I’m there?
Look for bubbling paint. That's the early sign. Later on down the line you'll see water seeping from the transom, and even hole or pits where it corroded away. Search the problem, you'll see many responses on what people that have bought G3s have dealt with on this issue.

Being that you are a complete boat newbie, take the other posters advice and hire a surveyor. Idk the cost, but it's probably under $500. They'll check the boat over, find things wrong to point out to you and give a 3rd party assessment of what is going on with the boat. Sometimes they'll even assume some liability if there's something wrong they don't catch. If the seller balks at wanting to do this, walk away. You'll find another.

Afhunter1

WKR
I never winterized my outboards. Pull her out of water and lower unit to drain then park her in yard until next trip and it gets cold here in PA. 15* out right now. I have an IO now so I gotta baby it and I hate it. Thinking of putting a bracket on it and a outboard just so I can fish year round again.

Congrats on the boat!