Cabelas Bargain Cave Petition

colonel00

WKR
I’ve seen a lot of bargain cave sadness, but can’t help thinking that if that’s where everyone was buying from Cabelas that there surely wasn’t much, if any, profit for Cabelas.

I haven’t seen a single post from anyone saying they were making purchases from Cabelas at full price.

I think that their prices being higher than the rest is what was/is going to be the cause of any demise that may happen, not the lost sales from the bargain cave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was plenty of profit left on most of those items in the cave. Especially anything that was Cabela's branded. My buddy could still get better employee discounts on the cave items which means there was still meat on the bone.

Plus, again, the whole point is to get people on the store. I bought plenty of stuff on impulse at regular price while I was there that I never would have actually driven to the store to buy on their own.

jmcd22

WKR
Scheels needs to expand with more stores, if I remember there's one in Minnesota and then Kansas City? But that's as east as they go? My last trip to Billings I went to both Scheels and Cabela's and after leaving Cabela's I asked my why I even bothered.

Scheels customer service is awesome the people know a thing or two about the products they sell.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
There's a Scheels in SLC.

The Cabela's in Boise is slammed all the time for some reason. I would rather go to Sportsman's.

OP
Clearedhot1
There was plenty of profit left on most of those items in the cave. Especially anything that was Cabela's branded. My buddy could still get better employee discounts on the cave items which means there was still meat on the bone.

Plus, again, the whole point is to get people on the store. I bought plenty of stuff on impulse at regular price while I was there that I never would have actually driven to the store to buy on their own.

Exactly! Or adding another full priced item to the online shopping cart to get over the free shipping threshold.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I’ve seen a lot of bargain cave sadness, but can’t help thinking that if that’s where everyone was buying from Cabelas that there surely wasn’t much, if any, profit for Cabelas.

I haven’t seen a single post from anyone saying they were making purchases from Cabelas at full price.

I think that their prices being higher than the rest is what was/is going to be the cause of any demise that may happen, not the lost sales from the bargain cave.

I've spent thousands in store over the last several years.

I would typically take advantage of club coupons and sales but didn't buy all that much in the bargain cave. I've noticed huge decrease in club coupons since BP took over. I'm not interested in paying full BP retail.

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
The cave will never be the same. I believe the main reason is the new return policies put in effect a year or so ago. Their previous policies were set up for massive consumer fraud. I've heard guys talking about buying high end optics, wall tents, boots and other items on credit. Using it for the season and then returning it for a full refund. Those are the items that are no longer being bought and returned that would eventually end up in the bargain cave.

colonel00

WKR
The cave will never be the same. I believe the main reason is the new return policies put in effect a year or so ago. Their previous policies were set up for massive consumer fraud. I've heard guys talking about buying high end optics, wall tents, boots and other items on credit. Using it for the season and then returning it for a full refund. Those are the items that are no longer being bought and returned that would eventually end up in the bargain cave.
Yeah, the return policy was quite lax. However, I can't say that I saw a lot of gear that looked like it had a ton of wear in the cave. Boots maybe but then again, you have to wear them a bit to see if they work for you. Still, I'm sure plenty of people too advantage of the policy.

On the flip side, a buddy of mine would return a pair of duck waders just about every year because they would develop leaks. Sure, they were getting use but they shouldn't fail within a year of use.

Mostly I've been amazed at what appear to be partial returns. Like a fly rod case that only has the reel or a reloading kit that's missing the press. That's just dumb if they are taking those things back. Maybe the rod broke and they're trying to get a few bucks for the reel but that's just an example.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Not much of a "cave" shopper but used to spend a bunch at Cabelas every year. Now it is all the BPS crap. Cabelas was a great in between the BP junk and higher end gear from more boutique dealers. I am finding better stuff and prices at Sportsmans Warehouse now.

It’s funny to see this post, I was literally in cabelas in east grand forks today disappointed that the cave was gone. Although I was able to Pepsi challenge a few 10x42’s.

A agree with above about scheels. Top notch customer service, decent credit card reward points.

They also price match anyone including online prices, just show them your phone and the ad and they wrote you a price match ticket....not sure too many people know that they do that.

Sodbuster

WKR
I canceled my cabelas card and rarely shop there these days. There was a reason I didn't buy much from BP even when I lived a mile away from the very first outdoor world.

The people living in Springfield are lucking out though. Everyhthing once sold in all those bargain caves is now going to be in the BP outlet store.

I live there and yes it is but not at outlet prices,

seawolfxix

Lil-Rokslider
The BassPro/Cabelas merger has really made the two stores in KC unattractive to me, although i still spend money there. I find my self headed to Scheels in OP more than the other two. Do you ever get up to Rogers?
Scheels and Rogers are the best stores in KC right now. RIP Cabela's & Bass Pro

Mike 338

WKR
Cabela's is dead and gone.

This ^^^

When one company buys another, it's because they think they can manage it better. Maybe they instantly double their size but retain a single corporate office, improve purchasing power, improve margins, centralize distribution, so on and so forth. It's a exercise of how to get blood from a rock. That's fine. Everything has a life and Cabela's had theirs. Bass Pro has served their market well enough and although I haven't seen a thing I wanted to buy when cruizing their store in Springfield MO, lots of other people were buying something. It just opens the door for the next big thing, or should I say the next good thing.

colonel00

WKR
Retail stores in general are dying. Honestly, clothing is there only thing that you need to visit a store for to try on and that is going by the wayside too.

It would be an interesting poll to have on here to see where people shop more now. Online vs brick and mortar retail. Large national chains vs small cottage/ mom and pop type stores

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
You guys lamenting the loss of "deals" in the bargain cave never attended one of their early sidewalk sales.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Clearedhot1
You guys lamenting the loss of "deals" in the bargain cave never attended one of their early sidewalk sales.

You’re damn right I did! Forgot about those!

Cabelas is dead, bass pro buyers are all about everyday and outwear, not actual hunting wear. Only plus on the merger is Capital One pings you any time you charge your card. Don’t have to check most my apps until it pings.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 38, married, with 2 young kids...hard working/hunting/camping class. Phenomenal memories and deals had in The Cave. They had me as a repeat customer online and it was mandatory pit stop whenever I drove that direction. My 5 year old loved the taxidermy and all of us sport their logo. Without the cave, they have become just another big box retailer.

I know about the merger, blah blah. I don’t want to see it totally die, and I don’t want to be the dad that talks about Cabelas like my parents talk about Sears.

Can somebody smarter than me come up with a petition to bring back The Cave that we can cumulatively vote on and send them? They need to know they’re losing their base.

From a concerned someone,

Kyle

Cabelas Boise - way too much UA and Bass Pro crap.

wyosteve

WKR
Just read on another site that Bass Pro has closed all corporate facilities in Sidney. Only thing remaining is the retail store. Gonna really hurt that small town. Cabelas downfall imo was when they went public. The bottom line/corporate mindset led them down the hole. Cabelas was still profitable, but not to the extent the corporate shareholders thought it should be. Sad, but everything changes!

Reactions: KJH
Closed my Cabelas card last week. Got an email survey on why I closed it. That was fun. Betcha nobody reads it or gives a shit.

jmez

WKR
A lot of people will need to close them before they give a shit.

$4.5 billion portfolio.