California Bighorn Sheep hunt 2020

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy drew the fundraiser bighorn sheep tag for The Southern Californian Desert. No one in our small group has hunted sheep. Im doing as much research as I can. If anyone has info or can throw out some people to reach out to that would be great. Once in a lifetime hunt for my friend for sure. We plan on a DIY hunt and he is going to make time to make multiple week long trips. Thanks for the help.

Rob5589

WKR
Wow, like winning the lottery. I recall reading about the hunt several years ago. The overwhelming recommendation was to hire a guide in order to make the most of the rare opportunity. Good luck!

Depending on the zone drawn, he might be the only person hunting the zone. I'd be happy to help. But my advice is to get out there and start now. He needs to absolutely know how to judge a legal ram.

OP
Western_hunter87

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the zone drawn, he might be the only person hunting the zone. I'd be happy to help. But my advice is to get out there and start now. He needs to absolutely know how to judge a legal ram.
its for 2 zones and it looks as though a longer season unless i am mistaken. For clipper/marble mountains and unit 1 and also south bristol i believe unit 8. each unit is 200+ sq miles. about an 8 hour drive . but i need to get down there for sure and start getting a sense of the country and where water sources are and should be able to find some.

That country has guzzlers. See if you can find some maps of their locations. Talk to the sheep foundation, they put them in and maintain them. But, you buddy is not going to kill a ram by water. But a cam on the water sources will let him know what is in the neighborhood.

OP
Western_hunter87

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
That country has guzzlers. See if you can find some maps of their locations. Talk to the sheep foundation, they put them in and maintain them. But, you buddy is not going to kill a ram by water. But a cam on the water sources will let him know what is in the neighborhood.
lol I dont plan on killing one by water but it gives a good spot to hit the peaks and glass. i need somewhere to start. I am contacting biologists sheep foundations. and anyone else i can find that has hunted those units.

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I won that tag last year. I was able to start hunting before the other hunters and the first few weeks they were still in the rut. Make the most of a once in a lifetime tag.

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy drew the fundraiser bighorn sheep tag for The Southern Californian Desert. No one in our small group has hunted sheep. Im doing as much research as I can. If anyone has info or can throw out some people to reach out to that would be great. Once in a lifetime hunt for my friend for sure. We plan on a DIY hunt and he is going to make time to make multiple week long trips. Thanks for the help.
How did that hunt go? Any pics?

OP
Western_hunter87

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
How did that hunt go? Any pics?
The Hunt went amazingly awesome. Ill have to upload some pictures I have. We glassed Sheep every morning from camp. Had minimum or 1 or 2 stalks a day. My buddies rifle scope mount broke on day 2... Good thing i brough my rifle as well as a backup. Day 5 My buddy rich ended up getting a shot at a good ram and missed him at 220 yards freehand. Hiked into the next valley and got on another shooter. Richard went all the way to the bottom to go around i called him back to the top as i felt the sheep were going to feed right to the saddle we were glassing from. He raced his butt back to the top and ended up shooting his sheep at 65 yards with my .308 browning. It was an awesome experience and his 9 year old son was with us for every step of it. Its these kinds of hunts that change you whole outlook on adventure and mental strength.