California D6 public land

New here but not new to hunting. Packed in opening day 4 miles back in, set up my tent and had about 2 hours to glass to finish off the evening. With about an hour left of light a 3x1 with a tumor hanging off the side with 1 steps out of the buck brush qbout 350yrds away. Im still in board shorts and a blue t-shirt and left my bow back at camp which isn't too far away, about 100yrds so I ran back to get it. Didn't have much light left so I made my move and got above him. I dont think I've ever had a stock in California where the wind didn't swirl on me but this time it stayed perfect. Shot him at 58yds down hill while he was getting a drink out of the creek. Double lung and he ran about 30yds and that was it. I quartered him up, packed him out that night, left camp there and headed back home. Monday me and a buddy hiked back in to the same canyon and spotted a nice 4x4 running with a 2x2 and 3x2 but it was almost dark so we were going to find them the next morning. But when we woke up we couldn't see a quarter of a mile due to all the smoke. We tried to wait it out for another 2 days but it just got worse. For those wondering our camp elevation was 11,000ft and the deer were hanging out around 11600 and we were glassing down from a glassing spot at 12100ft

Attachments

• 20200824_070513.jpg
    20200824_070513.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 20200816_015453.jpg
    20200816_015453.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 154
Strong work, nicely done! I was in D6 a week ago and we couldn't find the bucks, just does and fawns. Smoke for us was the worse in the evening. It would blow out overnight and mornings just had a little haze, only to return again in the evening. Definitely not ideal. Congrats again!

That is cool! Congrats on the buck!
You might want to check your elevations though. Maybe your altimeter isn't calibrated properly. As far as I know there isn't an 11,600ft peak in that area, the highest one is just under that number. I'm pretty sure 12000+ is unattainable in that zone. Then again, I've been wrong before.

OP
M
Muley buck there's a few that are 13000ft in d6. Some of them are named but most aren't. But I agree there's not as much super high country up there as I would like

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
That is cool! Congrats on the buck!
You might want to check your elevations though. Maybe your altimeter isn't calibrated properly. As far as I know there isn't an 11,600ft peak in that area, the highest one is just under that number. I'm pretty sure 12000+ is unattainable in that zone. Then again, I've been wrong before.

Having hunted/fished/hiked the Stanislaus and wilderness areas in D6 my whole life and own every map I can’t seem to figure how I’ve missed 12-13000 ft peaks. I must be crazy... Or We’ve just been fooled by a troll who’s first post on a public forum is stating unit specifics for the world to see..

Having hunted/fished/hiked the Stanislaus and wilderness areas in D6 my whole life and own every map I can’t seem to figure how I’ve missed 12-13000 ft peaks. I must be crazy... Or We’ve just been fooled by a troll who’s first post on a public forum is stating unit specifics for the world to see..
Right??🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
M
Unit specifics for the world to see? That has to be a joke when you're talking about a unit with 10,000 plus tags

Hahaha I meant 12000ft not 13000ft. Fat fingers little buttons. Sonora peak I believe is 11500 and its not the tallest
Correct, Sonora Peak is not the tallest. It is also under 11500ft. There is not a place a person can stand on the ground in Zone D6 at 12000ft elevation. Hey man I'm not trying to beat you up here, but facts are facts. A simple Google search can easily be done to verify this information.

OP
M
Correct, Sonora Peak is not the tallest. It is also under 11500ft. There is not a place a person can stand on the ground in Zone D6 at 12000ft elevation. Hey man I'm not trying to beat you up here, but facts are facts. A simple Google search can easily be done to verify this information.
Oh no no hard feelings here but we will have to agree to disagree because I've stood on it

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Lol ok, decades of ground surveying and digital satellite data must be full of shit and you’re right? Just trying to make sense of your thinking...what device are you using that tells you you’ve been at that elevation?