California Treestand Hunting Advice Needed

OP
fuelthehunt
Checked cams again and exactly one week later he returned to the same bed and I can see the growth in his antlers.

IMG_4012.jpg

MeatBuck

WKR
Never too late.

Just remember that deer can smell where you've been days after you've been there - don't start laying down trails that they will avoid for the rest of the year.

You can also use trail cams to teach deer to stay off trails - say the trail forks, put the cams on the one that's hardest to hunt and the deer should use the other one. That's a given with whitetails, not so sure how touchy mule deer are.
Funny I use a deer trail to get out of my stand location and have deer tracks on my boot tracks about every other time. I don’t think they so much stop using as they just use at night if pressured by humans.
Even walking out on same trail I walked in on I’ve had tracks over mine.
Other times I’ve been winded at 500yds and they run for the next county and I never see them again.

The thing about the mule deer and blacktails is they can feed just about everywhere and can go a day or more without water if feed is moist enough. Or they’ll use multiple water sources if available or only water at night so movements are largely unpredictable. Almost have to get right in their bedroom so when they do move it doesn’t have to be very far for you to get an opportunity. On the flip side of that they can have multiple beds so finding bedroom can be tough as well. Wind is the other factor in that type country, likes to blow in circles or if your like me it blows at your back no matter what direction you’re facing. Once you get the stand location narrowed down Maybe think about ozonics for scent control.

Thanks man!! That's a very nice buck got. Went and checked cams and the 4x4 came back again and bedded in the same spot exactly a week later.
Right on! Try and stay on him, you never know what small or big changes can happen between now and season opening. I've had things dialed in like clockwork before (or so I thought), only to have everything go to hell after season opened up. Try to survey the surrounding area and think, if you were that buck(s) and couldn't live there anymore where would you go? That mindset and preparedness can help out with plan B and C when A doesn't pan out.

OP
fuelthehunt
Funny I use a deer trail to get out of my stand location and have deer tracks on my boot tracks about every other time. I don’t think they so much stop using as they just use at night if pressured by humans.
Even walking out on same trail I walked in on I’ve had tracks over mine.
Other times I’ve been winded at 500yds and they run for the next county and I never see them again.

The thing about the mule deer and blacktails is they can feed just about everywhere and can go a day or more without water if feed is moist enough. Or they’ll use multiple water sources if available or only water at night so movements are largely unpredictable. Almost have to get right in their bedroom so when they do move it doesn’t have to be very far for you to get an opportunity. On the flip side of that they can have multiple beds so finding bedroom can be tough as well. Wind is the other factor in that type country, likes to blow in circles or if your like me it blows at your back no matter what direction you’re facing. Once you get the stand location narrowed down Maybe think about ozonics for scent control.

Right on man! Ya one of my biggest worries is actually wind. I'm pretty sure that I am in his bedroom. This is most likely the deer I spotted once on this hill last year and I got him coming to the exact same bed twice now a week apart at the same time of day. There are also a couple beds just slightly down the hill that are super fresh as well. Thinking maybe he uses those sometimes and my cam wasn't catching him. I turned the cam slightly downhill in the direction he's come from to see if maybe he's using those beds as well.

OP
fuelthehunt
Right on! Try and stay on him, you never know what small or big changes can happen between now and season opening. I've had things dialed in like clockwork before (or so I thought), only to have everything go to hell after season opened up. Try to survey the surrounding area and think, if you were that buck(s) and couldn't live there anymore where would you go? That mindset and preparedness can help out with plan B and C when A doesn't pan out.

Thanks I will stay on it for sure. What changed once season opened? Ya I'm really trying to learn the area. Anytime I try to think like a deer I just see nothing so I don't think I'm a very smart deer lol. I set a couple more cams as well to see if I can see him moving on other parts of the trail and maybe catch more of what he's doing and see if there is a better location to set up a game plan for.

Here's a new picture of him I pulled from the video showing him getting ready to bed. I've only killed one buck so far and don't even want to say how many years it took me to do that. This buck would be a dream come true for sure.

IMG_4016.jpg

Thanks I will stay on it for sure. What changed once season opened? Ya I'm really trying to learn the area. Anytime I try to think like a deer I just see nothing so I don't think I'm a very smart deer lol. I set a couple more cams as well to see if I can see him moving on other parts of the trail and maybe catch more of what he's doing and see if there is a better location to set up a game plan for.

Here's a new picture of him I pulled from the video showing him getting ready to bed. I've only killed one buck so far and don't even want to say how many years it took me to do that. This buck would be a dream come true for sure.

View attachment 198111
Lots can change. Weather, hunting pressure, feed/water sources, any other human activity, etc. In my experience chasing these guys here, when the velvet comes off, their patterns and habits change too.

OP
fuelthehunt
Lots can change. Weather, hunting pressure, feed/water sources, any other human activity, etc. In my experience chasing these guys here, when the velvet comes off, their patterns and habits change too.

Ya for sure. Well my hope is to find him during archery while the velvet is still on and hopefully similar patterns. I've hunted the area before and haven't had any other pressure directly in there.

akrem44

FNG
Practice shooting in the same situations you would see out there. Try and find as much foot traffic as possible on a intersection of where they are coming and set up there. it helps to have multiple stands so if the wind is blowing a different way that morning

We're probably going to setup some blinds for archery bear this weekend. If you're consistently getting bears on camera I'd think about setting up a stand for them and maybe you'll get a deer to come through. Not sure what your priority is though.

What kind of stand are you running? Never seen one. Not a whole lot of them used in Nevada.

OP
fuelthehunt
Practice shooting in the same situations you would see out there. Try and find as much foot traffic as possible on a intersection of where they are coming and set up there. it helps to have multiple stands so if the wind is blowing a different way that morning

Good advice. I have a couple other cameras out hoping to catch where he's moving more. I have two stands but only one set of climbing sticks. I might hunt a different area in the morning and come into this spot mid day for the evening hunt.

OP
fuelthehunt
We're probably going to setup some blinds for archery bear this weekend. If you're consistently getting bears on camera I'd think about setting up a stand for them and maybe you'll get a deer to come through. Not sure what your priority is though.

What kind of stand are you running? Never seen one. Not a whole lot of them used in Nevada.

That's awesome. Ya getting a good amount for sure. Deer is priority but won't pass on a good bear.

I bought them off craigslist. One is a XOP and the other a muddy.

OP
fuelthehunt
Is there a certain style those are? Hang on?

Yes the ones I have are both hang on style. This is my first time ever using them so it will be a learning experience as well. My gut is telling me to go with the stand though so I think that will be my plan. Checking cams one last time Saturday before season opens in two weeks. If he's back on the cam I will definitely set a stand there. If not I may attempt still hunting the area since glassing/spot and stalk isn't much of an option on this hill.

Yes the ones I have are both hang on style. This is my first time ever using them so it will be a learning experience as well. My gut is telling me to go with the stand though so I think that will be my plan. Checking cams one last time Saturday before season opens in two weeks. If he's back on the cam I will definitely set a stand there. If not I may attempt still hunting the area since glassing/spot and stalk isn't much of an option on this hill.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

T_Nelomz

FNG
I hunt mainly whitetails in Wisconsin also I spend a lot of time in stands. The main things to consider in that hilly country is to learn the thermals and to locate set ups that use the thermals to keep their travel routes scent free. I saw someone mentioned how deer can smell where you've been for days because scent is left behind. You should consider a mobile set up with climbing sticks and a hang on stand you can pack in and set up and take down quickly and easily. Virgin sits are usually the best. Stands get burned out after repeated hunts and will go cold after a few sits. I have an XOP vanish stand with 4 Beast sticks. With a lineman belt I can hang my stand and be hunting in about 20 minutes. I've been able to sneak within 50 yards of bedded bucks doing this. For tips on mobile set ups check out The Hunting Public on YouTube and the Hunting Beast Facebook group and forum. They have tons of info on mobile hunting set ups. Or PM me if you want.

OP
fuelthehunt
I hunt mainly whitetails in Wisconsin also I spend a lot of time in stands. The main things to consider in that hilly country is to learn the thermals and to locate set ups that use the thermals to keep their travel routes scent free. I saw someone mentioned how deer can smell where you've been for days because scent is left behind. You should consider a mobile set up with climbing sticks and a hang on stand you can pack in and set up and take down quickly and easily. Virgin sits are usually the best. Stands get burned out after repeated hunts and will go cold after a few sits. I have an XOP vanish stand with 4 Beast sticks. With a lineman belt I can hang my stand and be hunting in about 20 minutes. I've been able to sneak within 50 yards of bedded bucks doing this. For tips on mobile set ups check out The Hunting Public on YouTube and the Hunting Beast Facebook group and forum. They have tons of info on mobile hunting set ups. Or PM me if you want.

Thank you very much for this info!! That sounds like a great idea. I have a lone wolf hang on stand with some XOP climbing sticks along with the linemen belt. I've watched some of the hunting public stuff before and will try to figure out some more and hope I can translate it to hunting here.

T_Nelomz

FNG
Thank you very much for this info!! That sounds like a great idea. I have a lone wolf hang on stand with some XOP climbing sticks along with the linemen belt. I've watched some of the hunting public stuff before and will try to figure out some more and hope I can translate it to hunting here.
Best of luck! Mobile treestand hunting is a fun rabbit hole to go down! The modifications people do to their gear to make packing in and setting up stands is astounding. I forgot to mention to check out DIY Sportsman Youtube channel has lots of great videos on gear modifications regarding mobile treestands. as well.

OP
fuelthehunt
Well went and checked my cameras one final time before archery opens on the 15th and now have 5 legal bucks on cam. The 4x4 has 3 buddies with him now. A 3x3, 3x4 and 2x2. Then there is a separate wide 2x2 that came in. Hopefully I get lucky and come across them because they only seem to come in every 7-10 days.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 20

T_Nelomz

FNG
Well went and checked my cameras one final time before archery opens on the 15th and now have 5 legal bucks on cam. The 4x4 has 3 buddies with him now. A 3x3, 3x4 and 2x2. Then there is a separate wide 2x2 that came in. Hopefully I get lucky and come across them because they only seem to come in every 7-10 days.
Just make sure to post pics of your trophy in this thread for us! waiting for opening day is like Christmas morning.