California Treestand Hunting Advice Needed

I primarily hunt the D zones because I have access to some good land but like others have said, tree stand hunting is really designed for you to be in position at a location where you know the bucks will be coming through. Another thing to mention is that the muleys usually change their routine and trails at least monthly. Just because you are getting photos now doesn’t mean they will be there in a month. For California D zone hunting I would argue that you will have improved odds with spot and stalk unless you have consistent buck activity leading into the season. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its tough thing get any consistency in activity on public in any D zones... so many people pushing deer around - still hunting or spot and stalk have been my best results, I also get bored waiting in a stand 🤦🏼‍♂️

Well went and checked my cameras one final time before archery opens on the 15th and now have 5 legal bucks on cam. The 4x4 has 3 buddies with him now. A 3x3, 3x4 and 2x2. Then there is a separate wide 2x2 that came in. Hopefully I get lucky and come across them because they only seem to come in every 7-10 days.

Buck (or bear) down?

OP
fuelthehunt
Well unfortunately even with all the activities on cam looks like this season is ending empty handed. Thanks everyone who have advise. Had one opportunity opening day of archery and that was it.
He was a massive 4x4 that came in and bedded below me at 35yds with no shooting lanes or ways to make one. Stayed for 2 hours and then left the exact way he entered. 15mins later like a ghost he returned but right on top of my buddy and I. Spotted at about 12yds at first and slightly panicked. Made one tiny movement subconsciously and he busted me. 7yds away he locked eyes with me for about 3 secs and then snorted and ran off. Never to be seen on cam or anything else again.
A0E18CC3-0B64-4BF8-BFAF-F8EE36697EFD.jpg9D4E85BC-5143-49D7-8E43-102EAE2BF468.jpg

daddywagz

FNG
Got my first blacktail from a tree saddle this year, after thinking it would be a good way to go after deer in all the thick stuff we have in CA. I'm using a tree saddle to I can have some mobility, and I really like it so far. Keep in mind some of these fellows commenting are used to hunting in the rut... which is hardly a thing for most CA deer hunts. We get the pleasure of sweating our you-know-whats off in the heat while the deer are at acting normal. Good luck! My buddy got a deer from a stand in D-6 on public alpine land a couple of years ago.

Just some friendly advise. I made the decision to run a climber last year for bears and for this year's archery season. 1st and foremost, find a tree stand that you can sit/stand still in for hours at a time. At a bare minimum climb to at least 15' from the ground. Since we are in CA, we don't usually have the luxury of oak trees breaking up our outlines. Try to find a set up that puts you in a cluster, because believe it or not CA deer look up. Make sure your Bow is placed above your bow arm and in a place that minimizes movement. Anything that's metal or hard plastic that can make noise, try to silence it. Stay away from anything velcro. As for location, the best bet is to find either feed or water that bucks return to regularly. That puts the odds more in your favor. As for cameras, the more the better, and placing them strategically in areas that are holding bachelors will help you put the puzzle together. When you do decide on a spot/spots remember don't overhunt one spot. Have some options. be mindful of your approach and only use when absolutely necessary. Don't check your cameras too much. Don't piss on the ground either, bring in some bottles. These are some of the things I did and learned from my hunt this year. It worked out for me, and I took a dandy C zone buck from a 31 yard frontal. It was a frontal because I had to hold at full draw over a minute. I'm sold on tree stand hunting the archery season in our State. That is only if I've found an area holding bucks. Best of luck to you bro, it can be done.