California wolf pack expanding

If they stay, and expand, this is going to get real interesting, considering the condition of some of our herds, elk, deer, and sheep. Get ready to foot the bill once again for re-introduction. But I believe given time, the wolves will start to concentrate on the spring to fall food supply of ant trail hikers and backpackers in many parts of the Sierra. They will do what comes natural, separate them (they will have to defecate at some point) and feed. I've said it before, considering we do not have the environment(s) of the past, when wolves were here naturally, this is just one huge experiment. Eventually, for this state, I think there will eventually be a public pyridium shift.

Well that just depressing...between them and the mountain lions, the deer nu.bers are going to suffer, and went that great to begin with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Its very frustrating. Between the already low deer and elk numbers and not managing the predators here to any degree this is a recipe for disaster. I'm not totally against wolves or any other predator but they need to be managed just like any other species. Our deer and elk numbers just cannot handle another unchecked apex predator.

I don't believe they will populate as quickly as pro wolf people hope. California doesn't have the feed sources (deer, elk) like the other states do that wolves currently reside in. Don't get me wrong, they're here to stay but I don't believe they'll expand their territory rapidly between lack of feed and people taking matters into their own hands because of lack of support from the very agencies that re-introduced them.

I live 30 minutes from newly spotted Wolves and not surprised. I swear I saw one in timber last fall and my son and I followed large dog prints for half a mile on a logging road with no human prints with it. Good wolf terrain here in north sierras and south cascades. Aim straight boys!!!

I live 30 minutes from newly spotted Wolves and not surprised. I swear I saw one in timber last fall and my son and I followed large dog prints for half a mile on a logging road with no human prints with it. Good wolf terrain here in north sierras and south cascades. Aim straight boys!!!

Lif, I was hunting c archery a couple years back and ran into very large dog tracks on logging roads up around where the Shasta pack would be. Instantly thought wolves. It's a real shame we are going to be dealing with this now.

Nothing against the California hunters, but I'm glad that there are wolves in "blue" states where they will raise hell and folks there can experience the reality of wolves rather than the Disney like ideal.

Next up, Grizz. Not that it will actually happen, but I'm sick of people advocating predators in my back yard when they won't tolerate them in theirs.

Our youth and the younger generation of hunters are the ones that are really going to pay the price for california's emotionally driven game management practices.........

Nothing against the California hunters, but I'm glad that there are wolves in "blue" states where they will raise hell and folks there can experience the reality of wolves rather than the Disney like ideal.

Next up, Grizz. Not that it will actually happen, but I'm sick of people advocating predators in my back yard when they won't tolerate them in theirs.

It won't make a difference to the morons voting for this stuff. They never leave the city, closest they will come to the damage being done to the ungulate population is their TV.

We already have a group advocating for the return of the grizzly, they've been around for years.

Lif, I was hunting c archery a couple years back and ran into very large dog tracks on logging roads up around where the Shasta pack would be. Instantly thought wolves. It's a real shame we are going to be dealing with this now.

Had one run across the road in June on a dirt road that paralleled 44. Dad and I both said wolf. Was dark and huge. Reminded me of the wolf from Balto...same shape. We sped up but it was gone and it was fairly open. He crossed 44 on a ridge between two sage flats where the antelope were.

Your ill will is misguided. Californians who advocate for this sort of thing generally won't get to the outdoors to experience the impact and would deny they did. There was a prominent article in the LA times a year or so ago highlighting the fact that the state's deer herd has declined 50% in the past 25 years and there was no appreciable response from the proponents of the policies that caused this.

There isn't enough deer/elk in that area to keep them there. I had heard about two years ago that one if the biologists in LNP had a photo of one on the eastern side of the park.

Back