Call insurance or no?

TFrank

WKR
I am not the voice to be listening to, but in my opinion insurance is for catastrophic stuff ( house decimated by fire type stuff). I try and deal with most things that come up out of pocket.

Not going to go on a tangent about how I feel about insurance in general….

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
If a claim was opened Yes it will show. Even if it is a $0.00 pay. I have been an agent for over 35 years. Each agent is not the same with how they deal with customers. Some give their best advice and let their customer make the decision while others just report any claim inquire. Over the years I have had people get mad at me for the advise I gave them. The what do I pay insurance for attitude. Then when it is said and done. It is common to hear I should of taken your advise.
In Arkansas companies are shutting their doors, packing their bags, and leaving the State left and right. I expect in the next few months there will be thousands of home owners not able to buy a policy.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is a legitimate claim to file, however, mold is paid on a limited basis. Also, I have heard that bleach is not the cure for mold. I would file the claim, but there is still a possibility it could be denied based on the determination of how long the problem has been present. I have been an agent for 32 years, but i am not a claims adjuster.
This is 100% accurate, a long slow leak is not covered. Also ya mold can be limited to as little as 1k. I also have been doing this for 30 years. Keep in mind 2 claims in a 5 years period is the end of decent insurance for a while on your home. Very few of the of carriers will even consider it so keep that in mind.

Lots of good advise, but I don't think I've seen any other agents comment that lots of companies offer "slow leak" coverage now as an endorsement, while it won't help on this one. It's certainly something to consider for the future, and could be part of your thought process moving forward.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Safeco, Travelers, and others, but I'm in Oregon. maybe it's a regional coverage
Here is how it reads on a normal home insurance policy. This would not be covered.

5. continuous or repeated seepage or leakage of water or steam, or the presence or condensation of humidity, moisture or vapor which occurs over a period of weeks, months or years.

There does appear to be some carriers now offering endorsements per a simple google search. However, I have not done personal lines in over 20 years so don't have any firsthand knowledge of who and where.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Thanks peeps. Doesn't matter about insurance any longer since they told me to get stuffed basically :)
I believe I found where the water is coming from, there's some poor caulking between the tub and wall and the water runs on the tub edge behind the tile and down to the floor.

Gonna re-caulk it, see if it helps and then tear up the floor a bit to see if there's any damage under the tub and then in with a new floor, easy peasy.