Calling all Toyota aficionados

Billinsd

WKR
I high centered on a tree stump this last year with my old '89 Toyota. So I just dropped it into 4wd and let the front pull me off it.
You are lucky, when this has happened to me the front wouldn’t pull me out. I or one time my dad dug out the big rock or tree stump. It sucks when one rear wheel doesn’t move, because all the power goes to the spinning wheel. A locker puts power to both wheels and you either get out, dig in deeper, or break something.

Billinsd

WKR
Of course “it’s better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it”.

FI460

FNG
I have a 2022 TRD OR and I'm coming up on 35k trouble free miles. Truck has been great. The panoramic view monitor on the TRD OR package is awesome. It has cameras all around the truck and renders an overhead view on the 13" screen.

I'll echo what a lot of folks said about the 22+ doublecab. I was originally looking at 2nd gen double cabs and test drove a 3rd gen when they hit the lot in 2022. It's considerably worse than the 2nd gens in that backseat. My fiance is 5' tall and her knees hit the center console in that thing.

ETtikka

WKR
Had a 2015 Tacoma, put 175k hard miles on the truck. Pulling trailers, bed loads of mulch, soil, seed, fertilizer.. A lot of off roading as well.

Moved on to a 2018 Crewmax Tundra and haven’t looked back. I wanted a 6.7 Powerstroke, but the 5.7 Tundra with 4.33 gears tows my landscape trailers just fine.

As far as the Tundras… 2008-2021 are the best. The 5.7 is significantly more powerful than the 4.7 payload and towing capacity wise. The 4.7 is a bulletproof platform, but I view it as a larger Tacoma, as it’s towing capacity is about 4,600# The 5.7 Tundras are right at 10,000# towing

The 2018 Tundra was the last year Toyota offered a factory transmission cooler. Toyota claims the Aisin* transmission doesn’t “need” a cooler… if you tow regularly or drive in mountain country, you need one.

2019-2021 Tundra’s have apple carplay etc if that suits your fancy.

Crewmax has a 5.5’ bed, the Double Cab has a 6.5’ bed. I wish the Crewmax offered a 6.5’ bed…

Toyota hasn’t ironed out all of their kinks with the new 3.5L twin turbos on the 2022-2024 trucks so far. Still seen a couple 2024 and late model 2023 Tundras needing new motors.

I’d buy a 2018 5.7 Tundra personally. They’re truly tanks.
This is a good executive summary

The double cab with 6.5’ bed is great unless you have frequent tall passengers in the back.

The 4.6 is what replaces the 4.7 around 2010 I think, the 4.6 is same as 5.7, just shorter stoke.

The early 5.7 and 4.6 did have issues with oil leaks ( cam tower and timing cover) , but this is an issue with any large dohc timing chain honestly, the gasket surface is HUGE.

If you can find one with good maintenance records , I would not let higher miles hold you back