Calling all Toyota aficionados

Kindo

WKR
So I’m just getting back into the truck market and I’m pretty sure I’m sticking with Toyota. I’d like a Crew Max setup and leather would be nice but not a total deal breaker.

I’m wondering:

What years do you recommend or stay away from?

How many miles is truly too many with these? I know a lot goes into how/when maintenance was done so I’ll try to be as thorough as I can.

I’m not overly picky on body style other than I’d like the “newer” generation that is considerably larger.

Lastly, I might have a lead on a 2016 Dodge Ecodiesel with around 90k on the clock. Any input on that?

Thanks!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm not aware of any bad years on the 3rd Gen Tacomas. Perhaps avoid the first year (2016). They are naturally aspirated not tunned hot, so pretty easy on engines. Well cared for with 100K or less miles and I would consider it a very safe bet. Compare prices, when I bought new was cheaper than anything used with under 50K miles.

Of course, engine cycles are really more important than miles as most of the wear occurs with expansion and contraction from warming up and cooling down. A truck driving 400 miles a day in a single trip will be in better condition for its miles than one driven the same distance in 10 mile trips.

If you have or want power, you will not like the Tacoma. It gets the job done, but is not sporty, especially with the additional 1000 pounds on the 3rd gens. I don't think I would get a 4 cylinder 3rd gen, my 4 cylinder 1st gen was great though.

The TRD Off Road trim gets you some nice upgrades, rear locker, better breaking unit.

I’d stay away from 22 and 23 Tundras. The 2024 seems to have fixed most everything bad from the new generation quirks. The older generation are all pretty much bulletproof as well. I have a 2024 and like it a lot.

Long Cut

WKR
Had a 2015 Tacoma, put 175k hard miles on the truck. Pulling trailers, bed loads of mulch, soil, seed, fertilizer.. A lot of off roading as well.

Moved on to a 2018 Crewmax Tundra and haven’t looked back. I wanted a 6.7 Powerstroke, but the 5.7 Tundra with 4.33 gears tows my landscape trailers just fine.

As far as the Tundras… 2008-2021 are the best. The 5.7 is significantly more powerful than the 4.7 payload and towing capacity wise. The 4.7 is a bulletproof platform, but I view it as a larger Tacoma, as it’s towing capacity is about 4,600# The 5.7 Tundras are right at 10,000# towing

The 2018 Tundra was the last year Toyota offered a factory transmission cooler. Toyota claims the Aisin* transmission doesn’t “need” a cooler… if you tow regularly or drive in mountain country, you need one.

2019-2021 Tundra’s have apple carplay etc if that suits your fancy.

Crewmax has a 5.5’ bed, the Double Cab has a 6.5’ bed. I wish the Crewmax offered a 6.5’ bed…

Toyota hasn’t ironed out all of their kinks with the new 3.5L twin turbos on the 2022-2024 trucks so far. Still seen a couple 2024 and late model 2023 Tundras needing new motors.

I’d buy a 2018 5.7 Tundra personally. They’re truly tanks.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 2nd Gen Tundra. 2013, Crew cab, Rock Warrior package. Bought it in 2018 with 90K miles, and it's sitting at 185K miles today.

Drives great, no major maintenance issues. The 5.7 V8 has all the power I need.

Gets about 15mph to the gallon on average. I do wish the fuel tank was bigger. Tank is like 22gal, I'd like a 35+ gal tank on the truck. 5.5ft bed takes a little getting used too but hasn't caused me issues with anything I do.

I'm all about buying a truck and driving it til it's no longer useful. Planning on keeping mine until at least 300K miles.

Jbehredt

WKR
‘16 got a bigger fuel tank which is nice. ‘18 got adaptive cruise which is also nice. Lost the trans cooler though so if you’re gonna tow heavy I’d add one. Kits are available. I hope my ‘20 lasts the rest of my driving career. Watch out for rust. Basically the same platform since ‘07. Watch out for the little engine. It’s not bad but it’s not the mighty 5.7 either ;).

Long Cut

WKR
‘16 got a bigger fuel tank which is nice. ‘18 got adaptive cruise which is also nice. Lost the trans cooler though so if you’re gonna tow heavy I’d add one. Kits are available. I hope my ‘20 lasts the rest of my driving career. Watch out for rust. Basically the same platform since ‘07. Watch out for the little engine. It’s not bad but it’s not the mighty 5.7 either ;).
2019 lost the transmission cooler.
I own a 2018 and it has a factory transmission cooler

Stay away from the ‘16 ecodiesel. I had a ‘15 and it was awesome, but only because I had a GDE engine and tranny tune (pre-EPA compliant). I also knew a diesel tuner that helped me deal with the dealership when I had problems. After several “service electronic throttle control” errors and visits to the dealer without resolution (40k miles) I was able to get the intake and injectors replaced under warranty. I got my tune shortly afterwards that turned off the EGR. The ones that weren’t tuned had a host of problems.
  • Engine fires- the turbo line runs under the exhaust manifold and is susceptible overheating, leaks and fires
  • The “slow death foam” they put on top of the motor, valve covers, and around the fuel pump to quiet the diesel volume is a huge heat sink that cooks electric connections and seals
  • The EGR quickly (as soon as 35k miles) soots and cokes up the intake and chunks can break off and destroy the top end
At 90k you’re risking some potentially expensive issues. These trucks are known for having tone ring failures in the tranny around 100-110k miles. The part is around $50, but labor to install it can run up to $3k.

Edit: I forgot to mention, without a tune, these trucks are absolute dogs

Last edited:

dusky

FNG
I love my 2021 Tacoma. A Tundra hybrid is awfully appealing - great power and over 20mpg. But hearing how the recent years have suffered, i would wait or get the 2018, maybe. Long beds are a must for me.

WRO

WKR
Depends on budget, but the 5.7 is pretty much bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreeDog

FNG
I think the 16-21 years are the best option. 16-18 if you need a transmission cooler. Those model years all have the larger fuel tanks. I had a 16 and currently have an 18. Awesome trucks.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks for the input so far! I’ve got two kids who love hunting and we do all sorts of trips together. I’m really torn between the crewmax and the 6.5’ bed…

I don’t think I’d bother with anything but the 5.7.

Thanks again!

JFK

WKR
17’ Tundra here. I’m at 95k trouble free miles. They are solid trucks.

I have a 2020 1794 currently…I love it. I normally hate black trucks, but it looks pretty good with the brown leather and I got it ceramic coated which helps.