Camera help!!

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to post this in the photography section but noticed the limited replies and hoping to get more here. So... I'm looking to get a camera as a christmas gift for the girlfriend. I am looking for something in the intermediate range, something under $1000 with a lens preferably. We both have experience with a Canon Rebel T5 and an older Nikon SLR (can't remember the exact model).

My questions are, mirrorless, dslr, full frame, crop frame, and what models I should be focusing on?? Weight and size aren't to big of a concern but it is something to consider as we do backpack and hunt quite a bit.

The rebel is a great beginner DSLR in my opinion but I would like something that could produce better quality images and have room to grow as a photographer. She's a great photographer to begin with and a fast learner at that.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Frosty82

WKR
If you are a Amazon Prime Member and have their CC...they have some smokin deals right now. If you are willing to spend a little more money you could step up into a Canon EOS-R or 5DM4.

Mirrorless for sure.

I really dig the Fuji X series. The controls are old school analog style, fantastic for quick change of setting, very intuitive. Great for someone who’s actually into the art of photography and finding their own style.

The X-T30 comes with a lens for under 1k and body is under 1lb. Check it out. Fuji makes great glass too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I would focus more on lens than camera IMO. getting a $900 value camera and a $100 lens most times = $100 set up.

Wrench

WKR
Canon lenses are easily found used for cheaper than anything else. I personally run nikon, but to do it over, I'd go sony and never look back .

OP
S

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! I’ll check them out. I definitely agree with the bad lens= bad setup.
Mirrorless for sure.

I really dig the Fuji X series. The controls are old school analog style, fantastic for quick change of setting, very intuitive. Great for someone who’s actually into the art of photography and finding their own style.

The X-T30 comes with a lens for under 1k and body is under 1lb. Check it out. Fuji makes great glass too.

In regards to the mirrorless vs DSLR debate, what do you like more about the mirrorless? How’s the quality in terms of low light situations? Color balance? Etc...

yhc

WKR
I recommend you visiting DP Review forum to look at their forum and ask your questions there. Lots of serious amateur and professional photographers participate in the forum.

Regards,

ODB

WKR
You wanna grow? Fuji x100f.

The “limitations” of a fixed 35mm lens is actually liberating and an excellent teacher.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or, to keep it simple just call Doug @gr8fuldoug at Cameraland, give him your budget and intended use and trust his expertise... Cameras are a research nightmare that takes you from a $300 budget to a $5,000+++ wish list in nothing flat!! LOL He is very competitive with prices, they knew their stuff, and he supports just about every forum I visit (including this one!) : )

PJG

WKR
one thing to consider is; are you going to print out your photo's are larger prints or are you simply going to use electronic photos to email and share with friends? If you are printing large prints then you might consider something along the lines of a full frame (mirrored or mirrorless) and a higher megapixel sensor. If you are simply emailing electronic photos to share with friends and family then you might not ever be using your sensor to the full potential of what is was designed for.

ODB

WKR
Here’s a pic of the southern cross from Kenya taken with a Fuji x100f at ISO 25,600. Handheld leaning against the land cruiser (you can see the snorkel to the right), no IS on these lenses. I was surprised how good it looks.

jspradley

WKR
I would recommend a used higher end crop sensor camera and a photography class.

Don't overlook used!

You can score a Fuji Xt-1 for around $300 and it's a legitimate weather sealed professional camera. Pro cameras aren't any more difficult to use than "beginner" cameras so don't be afraid to go big!

Reactions: ODB
Don't overlook used!

You can score a Fuji Xt-1 for around $300 and it's a legitimate weather sealed professional camera. Pro cameras aren't any more difficult to use than "beginner" cameras so don't be afraid to go big!

Imo DSLRs are similar to cell phones. 10 years ago they were making leaps and bounds every year but now a 3-5 year old camera still holds up. I just bought a used camera that five years ago would have cost $1500. I paid $200. Shutter count was sub 10k and it looks and acts brand new. Way more fun than a new entry level DSLR imo.

OP
S

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Great ideas here! Thanks for the help! Thankfully we’ve both been accustomed to DSLR and their functions, and she’s had a few classes on photography already. The only thing that has deterred me from “professional” camera’s is the price and when it comes to cameras I always had the mind set newer was better, but from the sounds of it camera tech hasn’t advanced that much (thankfully!) that’ll make it easier on the wallet for sure.

jspradley

WKR
Yeah man image quality honestly hasnt improved much over the past few years. Newer cameras may have neat bells and whistles like better low light performance, more frames per second and nifty autofocus but lenses are where the real quality comes from and those pretty much peaked a few years ago.