Cameron Peak Fire Flash Flooding

Risk of flooding goes up exponentially after a wild fire. Happened in Lyons, Waldo Canyon, Manitou, and several other areas after major fires. A strong thunderstorm over a burn scar is almost certain to cause flash flooding. They haven't had much time to do any real mitigation to creeks and streams or any aerial reseeding or mulching. There's no vegetation to hold water and soil. The moonscape after the fire is also hydrophobic/sheds water instead of absorbing. Debris flow is also a major problem, all that burned vegetation ends up washing downhill.

ndforbes

FNG
That really sucks. It reminds me of a few years ago when that fire hit the canyon, it flooded, and the Poudre's banks were covered in ash and black soot for a long time. Then another flood hit and it cleaned it all out and sent it to Kansas. I hope everyone got out safely. Scary times in the west. If it isn't wild fires that cause you problems, it is flash floods.

Vandy321

WKR
I'm guessing those Chukar CPW planted in Poudre didn't fair too well with the fire either...anyone CO firm or deny?