Camp high or low

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Oh for sure, go off of what you do know then, via scouting or e-scouting. I will say if I’m confident elk are in the direction I’m hunting, say I’m hiking uphill early so I have the wind. Move very very slowly if it is dark out, or wait until it’s about legal shooting light to move. No point bumping elk when you can’t shoot them yet
I made this mistake last year and was too noisy leaving my camp in the dark and spooked a large herd a few hundred yards away. Tough to get re-motivated after clearing the woods before it's even shooting light!

Hnthrdr

WKR
I made this mistake last year and was too noisy leaving my camp in the dark and spooked a large herd a few hundred yards away. Tough to get re-motivated after clearing the woods before it's even shooting light!
yep I have made it before too, hiking in the dark on trail is one thing, but bushwacking is a sure fire way to clear the woods out

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I pack in quite a ways with all our gear and set up a permanent camp for the 10+ days, so we aren't exactly traveling light on the way in. During the week just day packs. We have camped both High and low, but I much prefer low. Hauling/packing all our gear up to a high camp can be daunting. As others have mentioned, morning thermals and typical elk behavior are also somewhat a factor, but for me the biggest thing is, I never know where I'll be at the end of the day when the sun is going down. One time I went after some bugling elk - never got to them, but found myself in bottom of the valley by the time night was on me. I was rung out from hitting it hard all day, and it sure was depressing knowing I needed to slog back up to 10,000 ft in the dark. I was spent when I got there. On the other hand, if I finish the day up high and my camp is low, coming down is a breeze. I can make short work of getting back to camp downhill with much more energy to spare.

Last edited: