Can Colorado OTC Elk Last Forever?

tdhanses

WKR
Seems like a valid argument but take this into consideration. You spend 500 a year to support local business and 8% tax on that 500 to support the state of colorado? As a resident I spend that in a couple of days between gas, groceries, home, income tax, going out, etc. if that’s the arguement then my tag should be free and yours should be 5k. That’s not even bringing into consideration the cost of living in Colorado which is right in line with the most expensive states in the country at this point. Gas is 3.50, houses are 600-800k, etc etc.

If you’re smart you live in Kansas, the Dakota’s, etc and save 10s of thousands and then spend an extra 550 in a tag every year.

So the “we bring it money” isn’t a good arguement when you’re talking to residents that bring in money every day, not 1 week a year.
You mean live in western KS, lol, eastern KS is getting expensive.

tdhanses

WKR
Observational, but I do see a lot of NR hunters in town during all seasons, even during lunch hours of open seasons, but also at hotels, grocery stores (this one is huge, local groceries even sell dry ice), laundry mats etc. the local sporting good store is a Sitka, Mystery Ranch, Swaro, Heather’s Choice and Crispi dealer. Being a town of less than 20k, I doubt the resident population justifies stocking the minimum orders on any of those brands and there are guys who walk in there and buy Sitka head to toe, a pair of crispi boots, a MR backpack and a pair of Swaros (and probably never actually see an elk either).
According to my parents the population of Pagosa Springs doubles in the spring to fall as the NR come to their 2nd homes. Without NR Pagosa would be a ghost town.

tdhanses

WKR
I think CPW is gonna start by making all NR archery tags Draw. With population growth, habitat fragmentation, and high NR hunting pressure eventually CO will likely Cap the number of OTC rifle tags along with higher fees. Something's gotta give.
Truthfully all tags for all seasons need to go draw But don’t be shocked it it goes draw for R and NR and no more building points if you hold a tag even from the leftover list.

Hnthrdr

WKR
No worries they will settle this when the 2025 info comes out. From what I saw for public comment, not that they pay attention to it. Overwhelmingly it showed draw for Nr and otc for res… but it might all go draw. Either way changes need to happen.

tdhanses

WKR
Draw for R, ya right
with the number of tags available and the % breakout every R would draw a tag every year if they play it smart.

I’m also for losing all points if you have a tag, leftover or not for everyone, you get a tag points go to zero.

tdhanses

WKR
No worries they will settle this when the 2025 info comes out. From what I saw for public comment, not that they pay attention to it. Overwhelmingly it showed draw for Nr and otc for res… but it might all go draw. Either way changes need to happen.
And that is a start, I’m all for NR being draw.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Rumor is that they're being dropped off in Radium as we speak. 8 CPW trucks with crates and a helicopter. Could be BS but we'll see.
Let the rumor machine start… haha I’d believe it if I saw pictures

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
I would have become a woof lover if one of those damn mutts had the cohones to bite the deceiver and chief of Co or his first man…

Right? The rapture on Polis's face when he opened the door, big yikes. His husband is a huge animal rights lefty so I'm sure things will be extra spicy tonight at the Governor's mansion.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Right? The rapture on Polis's face when he opened the door, big yikes. His husband is a huge animal rights lefty so I'm sure things will be extra spicy tonight at the Governor's mansion.
If they really loved them they would have released them in Boulder where they live… unleashing a plague on the west slope is Bs… wonder if they find some collars floating down the Gunnison or the black in a few weeks. I’m pissed as a front ranger, can’t imagine what the old basin boys are feeling especially ones whose livelihood depends on cattle