Can intestines fall out of a running deer!?!?

Hman0217

FNG
Hello friends,

took a shot right around dusk today and the deer hunched up and ran off. By the time I went to look for her, it was pretty dark in the woods. For 20 minutes, I couldn't see any blood trail and then I see intestines. About a handful, with what was still fresh blood. The intestines weren't hot but it had been 20 minutes and they weren't totally cold either. Obviously it sucks that I might have paunch shot her and now have to wait til morning to go search, hoping the coyotes don't get there first. But is that even possible? This was a mechanical 2-inch 3-blade broadhead so it has ample cutting surface. But could it have severed the intestines in a way that caused some of them to fall out? Or did something else coincidentally get killed down there shortly before I took the shot? Definitely have predators around here.

Yes, I’ve seen it happen with large mechanicals on a shot that is back and low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hman0217

FNG
Bummer... does the 12-hour wait still apply when intestines aren't even in the deer anymore?

Rob5589

WKR
Absolutely. My buddy gut shot one few years back and we found pieces on intestine stuck on bushes. He was a mess when we got to him and my buddy finished him off.

JohnIrish

FNG
I have seen it happen with a rife shot... deer tried to jump a barb wire fence and intestine stuck on the fence. So not surprised it happened with a broadhead.

Yes. A hunt I will never forget (it was disturbing): around 15 years ago a friend shot a button buck whitetail at around 30 yards with his 270 winchester. He had a poor hit--low and towards the back. The deer ran around 30 yards with his intestines coming out the whole way. It was mostly gutted when we walked up to it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

264win

WKR
When I was a new bow Hunter, I had this happen with a more than quartering away shot. My fixed blade cut a 6”-8” incision along with 3 ribs going in.
Tracking it, after about 30 yds we found the gut pile, like enough to fill a 5 gal bucket.
My buddy and I looked at each other like WTH ?
Thought someone had found my deer, gutted it and hauled it away.
After a minute we spotted the deer 20 yds away dead and fully gutted. Lol

lif

WKR
My wife did it with a rifle couple years ago. It didn’t want to die right away but luckily it couldn’t hop fences, which made it easier to finish it off.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A friend tried shooting a muley buck at the apex of its jump over a fence. Low shot grazed its abdominal muscle so when it hit the ground some gut fell out but did not detach. It staggered 200 yards into a coulee where we finished it. The blood trail looked like a foot wide swath of paint all the way. Nasty.

LostArra

WKR
As I released a shot at a doe from my longbow, my poorly secured two piece bow quiver slid down the limb and my arrow hit the deer in the flank. I had arrows on the ground and a deer running off with a wagging arrow just in front of her rear leg. I got down to retrieve my arrows and walked around a thicket where she had gone to find her dead with her gut unzipped from my Ace two blade and her intestines on the ground. It looked like someone had demonstrated how to use a gut hook knife. I used up a lot of luck on that day and never used that quiver again.

wytx

WKR
I shot a deer low one time, found intestines right away in a bush, followed quietly from far behind for a bit till I found the entire stomach on the ground. Backed out til morning, found the deer about 300 yds from stomach, completely gutted from the shot. Not pleasant for the deer or me. I'll never get that sight of the stomach on the ground out of my mind.

Bluumoon

WKR
My first buck as a kid. Grandfather gave me a talking too for taking a poor shot as we were tracking the intestine trail. I swore all I could see was the head neck and front shoulder. Shot front shoulder, exited in front of off side rear leg, soft ball size exit wound, pretty graphic as a kid.

Beendare

WKR
I've seen it happen with Deer, Hogs, elk and hog dogs cut by a big boar [carried her out wrapped in a wet T shirt and the vet fixed her right up]....and a few shots where the intestines blocked the exit hole.

Internal pressure can do some crazy stuff. Saw a Javi shot high in the backbone facing my buddy earlier this week.........and there was Excrement coming up out of the entrance hole which was high where its neck meets the body.

hflier

WKR
Not a deer but one time me and my son came across a woman that had jumped her horse over a stump and slit him stem to stern. Horrifying, guts fell out hanging two feet down. Helped her until help arrived to transport to the vet. Don’t know if that horse survived, but that’s something you don’t want to see twice.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cur dog

FNG
I have seen it with a low behind of rib cage hit with a bow and back bottom of sternum with a rifle on deer and antelope they die fast.

I had happpen this year when tree stand hunting. Deer quartering toward me at 15 yards shot was a little high and exited back by his junk. Guts were hanging out when he ran off. Found him 80 yards away after an hour. Lucky I guess.

Beendare

WKR
Internal pressures do some crazy stuff. My buddy shot a javelina a week ago with a crossbow frontal. The javi dipped a little (those cossbows are loud) and it caught him in the back just behind his neck. The animal went maybe 20 yds but had gut excrement pushing out of the entrance hole way forward.

its worth noting that those internal pressures or the lack of help us as bowhunters on a through and through shot to collapse the lungs Fast.