Can you make a living as a taxidermist?

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any taxidermists here? I am an artists and am interested in becoming a taxidermist. Seems like minimal start up costs. Can you make a good living at it?

def90

WKR
Not in Florida
Depends, once again depends on your reputation that you need to build up over time. I have a client that hunts all around the world and pays top dollar and sends all of his stuff to some guy that I think is in Texas even though he lives in Colorado.

People with money will pay money to get something done right. If you are good at what you do and know it, charge accordingly and write off the tire kickers.

def90

WKR
No different than any other artist endevour. No one is going to go in to a new artist at at tattoo shop and fork out $4k for a sleeve to someone without a portfolio and referrences.. but if you are good at what you do people will notice, your name will get around and they will travel across the country to pay you $4k for a sleeve.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Depends, once again depends on your reputation that you need to build up over time. I have a client that hunts all around the world and pays top dollar and sends all of his stuff to some guy that I think is in Texas even though he lives in Colorado.

People with money will pay money to get something done right. If you are good at what you do and know it, charge accordingly and write off the tire kickers.
Really? I challenge you to find any home with a mount in it. It’s just not something people do down here. Or is very rare at least, I know I‘ve never seen one. Hard to make a living with no customer’.

gelton

WKR
I have no experience in taxidermy but my observation is "making a living" is a very subjective term that is dependent on many factors like the location that you live and an income that is acceptable for you.

If I were considering something like this I would look at it as a side hustle while building my name/brand and then having a retirement income that might get you out of the rat race a little early.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Sure you can make a living, but a “good one” is very difficult. I’ll use a whitetail deer as an example since it is probably the most widely mounted animal (rough numbers);

form - $60
Eyes - $15
Ears - $15
Tanning - $80 (farmed out)
Misc supplies - $15 (paint, glue, etc)
Overhead - this is so dependent on your area, shop, etc but let’s be conservative and say $20

So, that’s $205 in supplies. Sure you can save a bit by doing tanning in house (maybe $10 in supplies but you have to add several hours of labor) and Bondo ears ($2 instead of $15). Me personally, I have about 15 hours in a standard shoulder mount. It I can get $550, which most people don’t want to pay for a quality shoulder mount, that leaves $345 dollars on the table. $345 / 15 hours = $23 an hour before taxes, healthcare, etc.

OP
B

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sure you can make a living, but a “good one” is very difficult. I’ll use a whitetail deer as an example since it is probably the most widely mounted animal (rough numbers);

form - $60
Eyes - $15
Ears - $15
Overhead - this is so dependent on your area, shop, etc but let’s be conservative and say $20

So, that’s $205 in supplies. Sure you can save a bit by doing tanning in house (maybe $10 in supplies but you have to add several hours of labor) and Bondo ears ($2 instead of $15). Me personally, I have about 15 hours in a standard shoulder mount. It I can get $550, which most people don’t want to pay for a quality shoulder mount, that leaves $345 dollars on the table. $345 / 15 hours = $23 an hour before taxes, healthcare, etc

form - $60
Eyes - $15
Ears - $15

So, that’s $205 in supplies. Sure you can save a bit by doing tanning in house (maybe $10 in supplies but you have to add several hours of labor) and Bondo ears ($2 instead of $15). Me personally, I have about 15 hours in a standard shoulder mount. It I can get $550, which most people don’t want to pay for a quality shoulder mount, that leaves $345 dollars on the table. $345 / 15 hours = $23 an hour before taxes, healthcare, etc.
Interesting. The guys around here charge $700 for an antelope size critter and they always seem to have more work than they can handle. I’ve had them turn down work because they are two years out. That seems like some job security to me. Maybe that’s just around here I don’t know.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Better question…can you have a life as a taxidermist? I know my taxidermist gets out and gets nice deer, but it seems like it’s difficult for him to be out during prime time when he’s expecting animals to be brought in. Also more difficult for him to make trips for hunting. This is in whitetail country though where people will bring in the whole head and don’t really care it out themselves, so they don’t have the freezer space at home. May be different in other locations.

Pretty sure every house I’ve been inside in FL has had plenty of mounts.

Dirtbag

WKR
Taxidermists in Colorado seem to do really well. My personal taxidermist told me he has his business worked out to make around $45-$50 an hour, is pretty selective on what he takes and still is 12-15 months out. He does great work and charges accordingly. a Good friends taxidermist is currently turning down new clientele. it seems its like anything else, you get in what you put out.

Better question…can you have a life as a taxidermist? I know my taxidermist gets out and gets nice deer, but it seems like it’s difficult for him to be out during prime time when he’s expecting animals to be brought in. Also more difficult for him to make trips for hunting. This is in whitetail country though where people will bring in the whole head and don’t really care it out themselves, so they don’t have the freezer space at home. May be different in other locations.

Pretty sure every house I’ve been inside in FL has had plenty of mounts.
This is pretty much exactly what I was gonna say.
I've noticed it doesn't seem like my Taxi gets out to hunt very much. And if he does it usually spring bear and idk that as many as those get brought in and he usually has more freezer room that time of year.
I've noticed another taxi runs hounds. I haven't talked to him much but id imagine part of why he does that because its also off cycle from big game season.

If I was gonna strike out on any kind of venture it would be one to build more hunting time then less.

Id imagine there is some kind of computer tech that you could mount a tablet on a walk in freezer and allow people to check in there own stuff if you were gone. But the cost would be high and you'd have to have a ton of cameras as some jackass would steal a set of trophy antlers.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
The taxidermist I use in Virginia seems to do pretty good, got a new toyota pickup, just bought a new shop for his growing business, happy home, etc. basically living the american dream, I'm sure he has a new washer and dryer. So I am 100% sure he is "making a living"

However like the one person before mentioned he doesn't get alot of time to hunt and fish, and he has to put up with people calling over and over again asking if there mount is done after a month or two even though he tells them its a bout a 1 year turnaround. Then there are people that pay their deposit that wont come pick up there finished product, which is what blows my mind.

So yeah he makes a living, a very aggravating living but he makes it

The taxidermist I use in Virginia seems to do pretty good, got a new toyota pickup, just bought a new shop for his growing business, happy home, etc. basically living the american dream, I'm sure he has a new washer and dryer. So I am 100% sure he is "making a living"

However like the one person before mentioned he doesn't get alot of time to hunt and fish, and he has to put up with people calling over and over again asking if there mount is done after a month or two even though he tells them its a bout a 1 year turnaround. Then there are people that pay their deposit that wont come pick up there finished product, which is what blows my mind.

So yeah he makes a living, a very aggravating living but he makes it

It's amazing how many hassle to get it done, then won't show up to get it once it's completed.

freddyG

WKR
You have to be good. Here my taxidermist is $1k for deer, $1800 elk. I took a whitetail to him last November. 24+ months before I it back. They are swamped, and I’m sure his prices will be going up soon.

Wow!! People are paying $1,000 for a Whitetail Shoulder mount? I had one done back in 2013 for $350. Looks like I am stayi with the Euros for long term lol

freddyG

WKR
Yeah, in droves. He is very good though. Fish and Game uses him on confiscated trophy animals. I have seen some of the competition’s $550 and under mounts, and am thrilled to pay him his asking price. You get what you pay for.