Can you quit ?

OP
B

Brooks

WKR
Just Tuseday my BIL who is 59 and has been smoking since he was 18 and seemed to be in great shape had a heart attack at his home. He is still alive and said he is done smoking cigarettes, said when you come that close to dying and all the doctors tell him it’s either quit smoking or cut your life short quitting is a no brainer.

WCB

WKR
Just Tuseday my BIL who is 59 and has been smoking since he was 18 and seemed to be in great shape had a heart attack at his home. He is still alive and said he is done smoking cigarettes, said when you come that close to dying and all the doctors tell him it’s either quit smoking or cut your life short quitting is a no brainer.
Hopefully he does but I worked with a couple guys that had the same thing happen and 6mo later they were puffing away.

DCAN

FNG
Quit the dip a few years ago due to insurance and high BP. Had been at it for 20+ years. Have noticed I get sick a lot less often now. If the doc told me I had something terminal, my first stop would be for a can of Kodiak and I'd have a three finger dip between every set of cheeks on my body before I left the parking lot. But I don't miss it or anything.........

ADower

FNG
I don't know anyone who has smoked thats actually quit for good. Seen people quit for a couple years to come back around.

okcaveman

FNG
18 years of dipping and smoking. Finally just said enough is enough. Been tobacco free for about 8 years now

gumbl3

WKR
Regularly worked 100 hours a week. Copenhagen got me through. When work slowed down I was doing something with my son, it must have been 155 degrees out side, we were dying but I kept pushing him cause I regularly worked outside and he needed to "toughen up". He called me a superhero cause I could work out in that heat. Next day I'm trying to hide putting a pinch in, in front of him. That was it, every time I think about buying another can I just try and be a superhero he can look up to.

I don't know anyone who has smoked thats actually quit for good. Seen people quit for a couple years to come back around.
You do now. Going on 45 years. My wife's dad went 69 years before he passed. People literally do it all the time. About 62% of those who ever smoked permanently quit.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
I smoked for 12 years, one day I decided to not stop at a gas station and pick up a pack of cigarettes and to see how long i could last. I lasted 5 years. Then I had a really rough day, got drunk, and bought a pack. I picked up smoking again for the next 2 years. My friend told me about vaping and I got into that for 3 years slowly weening myself off nicotine to the point I was vaping 0mg nicotine. I ran out of vaping juice and decided to see how long I could last before buying. That was 5 years ago.

I missing smoking cigarettes and vaping. I like puffing on the warm smoke/vapor. Every once in a while I will have 1 cigarette or a couple puffs of a friends vape when I have been drinking, but nothing on the regular.

Will_m

WKR
If anybody wants a sure fire way to quit, get rip roaring, black out whiskey drunk for a weekend. You’ll be sick as a dog hungover for at least three days and won’t even be able to smell dip. That will get you past the first three days of quitting, which I think is probably the worst of it. Good chance you’ll cut back on your drinking too. Two birds, one stone.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Y'all are a bunch of high rollers with all this copenhagen stuff. I was a poor grizzly guy for 10 years, quitting off and on during that time. Three things helped me quit. Moving to a place where a can of grizz was $9, dating a gal who wanted me to quit, and my whole mouth being sore all the time making me think my face was rotting off. The first year after quitting I still thought about it and craved it almost every day, second year maybe one a week. Been clean about 3 years now and don't think about it at all.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t want anyone to get caught up in the statistics of quitting or quitting for good. What I consider a success is that I no longer battle it every minute, hour or day of my life. It’s a non factor.

BadDogPSD

WKR
I've always been an avid non-smoker, but was a casual chewer off & on for about 20 years. Never chewed in the house or at work, just when I would be outside or driving.
I quit when my 10 year old son told me I was a hypocrite for chewing while being anti-smoking, stating both are bad for you. Missed it for a month or two, but was fine after that.

gabenzeke

WKR
I've chewed for 15 ish years. Wish I could quit. I once hiked 7 miles out of wilderness to run to town for a few cans when I tried to quit while on a hunt. It's a tough thing to stop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I've chewed for 15 ish years. Wish I could quit. I once hiked 7 miles out of wilderness to run to town for a few cans when I tried to quit while on a hunt. It's a tough thing to stop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I don’t know your situation, but I quit after 26 yrs with Chantix. I had no side effects and haven’t looked back since!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I smoked from age 18 to 50, tried many times to quit. When I turned 50 I had decided I had to QUIT. I was smoking at least 2-3 packs a day. I quit, hard for a while but was so pleased with myself I kept going. I smoked a cigarette once in a while (maybe 1 a month) now I can’t stand the taste of them. So happy I quit, I’m 66 now.
I still drink to much but I blame that on the wife and kids!🤣🤣🤣

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
Many very interesting stories here. My congratulations to all of you quitters. Some say it’s easy. Some claim it’s half impossible
I’ve never been influenced from peer pressure and always avoided the trendy.
Near 60 years ago I remember those vacation trips in the car with my dad who smoked. I’d be curled up on the floor in the back seat complaining about how my dad’s cig smoke was making me sick. He would reply that he had the window ‘cracked open’ on those 4 hour trips.
My other siblings and I sometimes stole an open pack of dad’s cigs and would write skull and crossbones and other messages on his cigs and mix them back in the pack. We got cussed out good one time when he offered a cig to a client and it turned out to be one of our ‘special’ offerings. He was a salesman at that time.
Long story shorter.... dad finally quit cold turkey at about 60 years old after his doctor removed one of his lungs. After, we asked him how hard it was. To our total amazement he told us it was a piece of cake. Boy, that made us kids mad! We harangued him for 20 years and THEN he says it was easy.
To this day I hate cig smoke. I applaud you all who give up nicotine. I never thought I would see the day of an anti smoking work environment, but here we are.
One thing I could never understand about ‘dippers’ is, how in the hell could you EVER find a girl to kiss? Good Lord, that would be like kissing a woman who ate.....ummm, you fill in the blank. Just can’t imagine it.

Biery14

Banned
In 1998 I enjoyed smoking cigarettes and dipping Copenhagen. I’d been doing it for a good 10 years then one day I was in a store and told the cashier I wanted a pack of Marlboro and threw down a 5 dollar bill, she looked at it and said they are $5.75 a pack. I gave he another .75 cents and left. I thought I would have paid her $20.00 for them...I need to quit ! A month later we were going to elk hunt in the wilderness and camp up there for 7 or 8 days. I thought if I am going to quit that is the time to do it so I didn’t take any tobacco with me at all. It was an archery hunt in a hell hole of a wilderness and one tough week for sure. When I got back down to town I thought about buying a pack of cigarettes or a can of Cope but kept thinking I just went 8 days without it maybe I’ll buy some tomorrow but not today. It’s been awhile now, I haven’t had a smoke or a dip since September 10th 1998. Did you quit ? How’d you go about doing it ?
I quit over 10 years ago, it wasn’t linear. It took several failed attempts and finally just being sooo fed up with the crutch. I spent two weeks zoned out and feeling alien in my head. Another year slightly down and just the feeling of losing a friend. All in all so glad to be away from it. I work in a hospital and see the repercussions daily and don’t want that at all. Good luck to you

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I chewed Copenhagen for 20-ish years, tried to quit no less than 20 times. I wish I could say what it was that was different and made it stick, but I really can’t. It’s now been close to 20 years since I have quit.

A nasty and very addictive substance it is.

I was a smoker, never dipped. I was on a short 20 minute lunch break trying to cram down a peanut butter and jelly sandwich so I would have time for not one but two cigarettes before returning to the production floor for work. I got choked on the pb&j and almost croaked right there in the break room. When I finally got it coughed up I reached for a smoke. I thought here I am reaching for a smoke that will kill me after about choking to death to get to it. I carried the half pack that was left in my pocket for a week but never smoked another one. Aug 24, 1985 was the last light up for me. I was about a pack and a half smoker for 14 years. No more.

ncstewart

WKR
Dipped for 13 years or so. Quit when my oldest son was born. Didn’t want him picking up bad habits from me. The way I did it was every day I put my 5.50 for a can in a jar so I could see it. Didn’t take long before I had a lot more tag money! I still put the cost of a can in my savings for my yearly tag money. It’s now 7.25 a can which equals several tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk