Canada and covid

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
The sheep outfitters I spoke with had little to zero confidence the border would be re-open this year. I would expect the moose outfitters are of the same mindset.

WCB

WKR
I'm just not seeing how it would be open...I have a Alberta Moose hunt booked (actually was supposed to go last fall but obviously that didn't happen. As of right now I am not getting a vaccine so if that is the requirement probably won't be going. I'd take a test within a certain time period of getting on the flight but probably just walk away from the hunt if a vaccine is required.

If it is not open this year not sure there will be too many outfitters to go to. Bet the hunting will be good for sheep though with 2 years of rams not taken.

gbflyer

WKR
Depends on if our government on the US side plays hardball on this whole Buy America business. Biden wants to include Canadian products in that. I didn’t vote for him but I agree with him there. There are just too many things we don’t produce here, and getting waivers for Buy America on pubic projects is a friggin nightmare. I hope the COVID blockade will be part of the discussion.

Living in SE Alaska, trips through Canada are both necessary and enjoyable for my family and many of my neighbors. The folks I have met in the YT are the finest kind, as well as in northern BC.

All that being said, if the cruise industry is any indication, y’all will be hunting somewhere other than Canada. Sad.

Last edited:

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I am an Albertan, and a moose outfitter.
I'm feeling pretty optimistic the border will be open by the summer.
Spring bear will be a no go, Justin Trudeau has the border closed until April 30th right now. So that will make it tight for lots of guys state side to make it up here on a few weeks notice for bear hunting. So hopefully with vaccine roll outs in the US & Canada Biden and Trudeau can agree on opening the border.

I'm not sure how many hunting and fishing outfitters can go another year without any revenue.
I know for myself I have been blessed with a successful career in the Canadian oil patch, which is keeping me afloat right now.

jaslam

FNG
I do think that the border between US-Canada will be open again for leisure travel by late summer. Hope the global community work out the travel passport details quickly.
Israel, UAE. China are all starting the "pilots" right now as they are somewhat more vaccinated than others. With Chinese mandating to take their own vaccine to be a pre-req (Ouch).
I think Canada now is still doing the 3 days hotel quarantine for the travellers plus arrival and 10 days testing but I think that will eventually drop or reduce in a few months. If you ask me, 3 days of hotels plus testings are very reasonable. I gone thru couple of 21 days mandatory quarantine within the last year, not fun.
Canada's vaccination program is a bit slow to start. I think once Canada get to 1/3 or 1/2 of the population having the first shot of vaccine (it's at around 6% now), there will be more conversations about opening hopefully by June.

Southeast

FNG
I'm booked for a September BC hunt as well and expect to be in limbo at least into the summer.

During a recent podcast (March 8, link below) the director of the Guide Outfitter Association of British Columbia said a couple things that caught my attention.

"Without a vaccine you are not coming in 2021 to Canada".

About the border opening, "It's really no better than 50/50, and that's for the fall".

Podcast video

rwbowser

FNG
The vaccine passport thing will get interesting. Down here in Florida our governor just said he’s taking executive action to ban vaccine passports in this state. I’m curious to see what that’ll look like in practice. I got covid back in January 2020 in NYC. It was 2 weeks of feeling awful, coughing constantly, shortness of breath etc. Lousy but lived fine. My best friend got the vaccine and had to go to the ER with facial swelling/numbness two days later, after a day of feeling, in his words, worse than he’s ever felt in his life. And he was a Marine. My assistants mom had to be hospitalized after hers as well. I had a 2020 Newfoundland hunt booked, pushed to 2021 and now looks like it might be pushed to never if the government says I need a rushed vaccine to go. If they’ll allow religious exemptions sign me up but I don’t think the people in charge of these decisions are very sympathetic to strongly held Christian beliefs.

Got the Vaccine as soon as it was available. No problems. The sooner everyone does it the sooner it will all be over. It’s for the greater good. I don’t see the big political problem people make out of it.

I will be traveling to hunt all over so I will take advantage of a vaccine passport no problem, hopefully some good options and increased trophy quality with a lag year of hunting!

rwbowser

FNG
No, like eradicating small pox, polio cutting down measles, mumps, rubella, shingles, hepatitis etc. millions lives saved
I’m personally not opposed to taking vaccines and I’ve had several, as have my kids. With this one my issues are how rushed it was, that the manufactures all got waivers of liability, that the very studies showing the great efficacy of the vaccine also showed how rare it is to have serious complications from Covid, and, lastly, that I’m a traditional Catholic and the P, M, and J&J vaccines were all developed using aborted fetal cell lines.
I respect that others can make decisions for themselves about it, but I don’t like that this opinion doesn’t seem to flow both ways. Everyone I know who isn’t getting it says it’s up to the individual so do what you think is best. Everyone I know who is getting it keeps telling me it’s up to the government and we need to do what the government says is best. The government that is opening our southern border for untested immigrants yet supposedly cares about stopping the spread of covid. The government that says voter ID is somehow impossible and racist but says a vaccine passport isn’t. I hope that those of us who love freedom will stand up and let our feelings be known to our representatives or next year we will be a little further down this slippery slope, until we are too deep to climb back out.

WRO

WKR
No, like eradicating small pox, polio cutting down measles, mumps, rubella, shingles, hepatitis etc. millions lives saved
Pretty much every major genocide event in our history was propagated in the name of the greater good by its author.

This has nothing to do with vaccines..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much every major genocide event in our history was propagated in the name of the greater good by its author.

This has nothing to do with vaccines..

What does it have to do with?

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just not seeing how it would be open...I have a Alberta Moose hunt booked (actually was supposed to go last fall but obviously that didn't happen. As of right now I am not getting a vaccine so if that is the requirement probably won't be going. I'd take a test within a certain time period of getting on the flight but probably just walk away from the hunt if a vaccine is required.

If it is not open this year not sure there will be too many outfitters to go to. Bet the hunting will be good for sheep though with 2 years of rams not taken.
Lots of rams being shot. Sheep outfitters are selling hunts to Canadains. I know lots of Canadians that are going on "COVID" hunts

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Everytime someone says the greater good trumps personal freedoms, my hackles rise..

In a couple posts above, you equated the "greater good" argument in favor of vaccinating the populace against COVID-19 to historical arguments justifying genocide. Do you mean this or were these posts in jest?

WRO

WKR
In a couple posts above, you equated the "greater good" argument in favor of vaccinating the populace against COVID-19 to historical arguments justifying genocide. Do you mean this or were these posts in jest?
No I didn't, you suck at reading comprehension..

If you want to get vaccinated, do it..

Don't request my freedoms be held hostage because of your fears.