Can't eat dehydrated meals

sivart

WKR
Just can't choke them down anymore. Had to eat too many over the last 30 years.

Need suggestions for replacements.

How long will a salami and cheese sandwich last in a backpack?

def90

WKR
I use MREs. I get the Sopakco low sodium ones from surepak-12.com. they are a little smaller than the standard MRE, probably the equivalent of the TOTM meals.

They have the heaters and everything in them so no having to tote around a stove and gas I guess unless you need your hot coffee or something.

Have you tried rehydrating them?
Sorry! Couldn't resist.
Salami will last a while unless it's super hot out. If you have a vacuum sealer do individual servings and keep then wrapped in a puffy inside pack as opposed to top of lid where sun heats it up more.
Have you done Ramen or idahoan potatoes? Can mix those tuna packs (foil envelope), salami, jerky, bacon bits etc into them and is a nice change.
Simple boxed stuffing with an added in meat source is awesome and super cheap too.
Good luck.

Just make your normal meals at home and dehydrate them. Rehydrate in a quart ziplock bag or vacuum sealed bag. Another is to just pour contents right into your boiling cup and simmer the dehydrated meal in that. You can make pretty much anything you want.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I do eat the hell out of ramen and idahoan potatoes. I also eat those tuna ready to eat packages. I may have to invest in a vaccum sealer.

Backyard

WKR
I have eaten that crap once in 30+ years backcountry hunting and camping. Years ago it took some imagination and a dehydrator to make meals. Hamburger Helper with dehydrated burger was one. But now there is so much “just add hot water” entrees and other instant food in the grocery store, the options are endless. And light for backpacking too.
Next time you go shopping start looking on the shelves, keeping in mind the fuel needed and the ease of preparation. You’ll be surprised what you’ll find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Just make your normal meals at home and dehydrate them. Rehydrate in a quart ziplock bag or vacuum sealed bag. Another is to just pour contents right into your boiling cup and simmer the dehydrated meal in that. You can make pretty much anything you want.
This is what I do. There are lots of resources out there and a few threads I've seen here on Rokslide for the same.

For lunch I do a medium tortilla (lots of people do a bagel instead), peanut butter packet, honey packet, pre-cooked bacon and a cheese stick. The pre-cooked bacon comes sealed and several packets will last indefinitely in your pack. I get I think two lunches out of one packet and have never had an issue with the pack being opened for a day. Same for cheese sticks if you keep them cool and out of the sun.

Last edited:
When backpacking I usually do tortillas as well. I also carry those little Mayo packets and mix it in with a pack of tuna or chicken and spread that out on a tortilla. Individual packs of cheese sticks or string cheese are great as well. One of my favorite meals I make at home is Shepard’s pie. Make it at home and dehydrate. I add a good amount of veggies and meat to the potatoes and spice it up with some green chile.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Just dehydrated a big batch of spicy Indian chicken and going to cook a venison neck roast tomorrow and dehydrate that. I use Mylar bags from Amazon and those little moisture absorbing packets, and it’s just like a Mountain House only it actually tastes good. You can make your favorite meals and for the most part they will dehydrate and rehydrate just fine and taste waaay better than a MH or an MRE. Chili Mac, Spaghetti, pot roasts, chicken and rice dishes, etc. they all do really well when you do them yourself. You have all the control about what’s going in them. I’ll never eat another Mountain House or similar meal.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This. Very simple and very good.

MrBlonde

FNG
+1 for dehydrating your own. Got sick of mountain house but started doing my own and it’s night and day difference. If you aren’t feeling that, look into thru hiking meal ideas. Similar to hunting as far as calorie expenditure and even some no cook options.

Drenalin

WKR
The best "backpacking" meal I've had is Shin chicken ramen with a single serve packet of olive oil and a foil packet of chicken. I'd take that every time over any freeze dried or dehydrated meal I've tried based on taste.

Instant potatoes and lil smokies are good, but I have to have had a really long day to eat all those potatoes.

I occasionally do sandwiches on naan bread, or PB and honey Uncrustables (it takes two), but in general I don't care for bread on a backpacking trip. I'll carry half a block of cheddar, a 3-oz bag of pepperoni, and a 3.5-oz bag of Fritos for a meal - it ends up being a lot of food and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. On trips up to 3 days, I haven't had the cheese or pepperoni get weird on me. Similarly, I like the little snack boards they sell in the grocery store, over by the Lunchables.

lintond

WKR
Just can't choke them down anymore. Had to eat too many over the last 30 years.

Need suggestions for replacements.

How long will a salami and cheese sandwich last in a backpack?

Might benefit from making your own dehydrated food. It tastes different then freeze dried.

You're eating the wrong dehydrated meals if you dont like them. I literally think I could live off of the meals we get.

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Dried sausage will last months in your backpack. Easy to make yourself. Add mustard packets and tortillas...you're set

rayporter

WKR
a metal cup and a couple fuel bars { or a jet boil} and you can eat a lot of fresh food for lunch.

mac and cheese with a spam slice chopped up
ramen
oat meal
mashed taters
hot coffee!!!
noodles and burger
bagels or tortillas
string cheese
microwave bacon

hit the shelves and find what you like.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
MRE, If it has not been mention. they really are pretty good, vast improvement over the years. I live in So. Ca. and keep them in my emergence supplies.