Car Battery Question

This past summer i replaced both the batteries in my 2015 Duramax. the factory batteries lasted 7 1/2 years. replaced both batteries with gel glass mat batteries cuz I do occasional off highway driving and i push snow in the winter.

Took the truck in for alignment and the mechanic did a once over service and they did an amp test on the front battery and its showing 445 instead of something closer to the 800a where they're rated. These have only been in service for 5 or 6 months. Should I pull the Alternator and have it tested? Something is chewing into the battery and we're not into winter yet

Tmac

WKR
Those are agm type, right? If so they take a higher charge voltage than regular the lead-acid type. So if your alternator is not bad and there is no other problem, it could be your alternator is not suppling adequate voltage to bring them to a full charge. On some vehicles a special fuse can be added that tricks the alternator into producing higher voltage otherwise hooking up to a charger set for agm type overnight will do it.

Again, assumes you have agm type and no other issues. If so, worth a look.

BBob

WKR
Once upon a time the AGM batteries were pretty good but that went out the window a long time ago. Switched to Oddessey batteries for anything I really need to count on. I have a set that’s 14 years old in a Ram 3500 and still test good. Expensive but probably the only battery left that’s still using quality lead.

Once upon a time the AGM batteries were pretty good but that went out the window a long time ago. Switched to Oddessey batteries for anything I really need to count on. I have a set that’s 14 years old in a Ram 3500 and still test good. Expensive but probably the only battery left that’s still using quality lead.
Bob, those batteries look good. Almost like the ones I finished when I worked for North Star battery. The days I could get blemished ones for $10. Everything I had was running them

I always run AGM batteries from O'riley. I've had good success with them.

Stores pretty much everywhere for warranty, which is pretty hassle free.

Plus a couple of friends and I have a commercial account there, which saved me almost 25% on the last set.

ODB

WKR
My wife’s AGM battery lasted a whopping 3.5 years. Dead. Out of warranty. That was the third battery on her 2012 Highlander. My 02 tundra is only on its second battery.

Dunno. At this point I’m not seeing the benefit.

My wife’s AGM battery lasted a whopping 3.5 years. Dead. Out of warranty. That was the third battery on her 2012 Highlander. My 02 tundra is only on its second battery.

Dunno. At this point I’m not seeing the benefit.
They do better in the cold.

They do better with high loads.

They charge quicker.

I don't buy them for longer life. I have a lot of electrical drain on my truck and want the batteries that put out the most power.

turbine1

FNG
I've never used Odyssey batteries, but I have always had good luck using Interstate batteries.

ODB

WKR
They do better in the cold.

They do better with high loads.

They charge quicker.

I don't buy them for longer life. I have a lot of electrical drain on my truck and want the batteries that put out the most power.

Eh, my first hand experience is opposite your first point. When the battery says right on it. “2x the life of standard batteries” and the salesman echoes that “feature” one might expect more than barely 3 years out of it.