Care to share opinions on bear bows?

I just watched a video of a guy saying people will buy bear bows RTH packages and they can’t kill deer? Says they have to go crazy expensive on arrows to kill one. I myself thought he had to be wrong but anyone care to share their experience with bear bows. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
That may be one of the worst opinions I've ever heard. A bear bow is just fine. Never had one but I've had plenty of buddies who have and they killed deer and elk. And an arrow can't fix a bad bow, but a bad arrow can make a good bow bad.

OP
G
Thank you all. I thought myself it was ignorant. I’m looking to buy a bear so of course seeing someone say that raised an alarm

Wellsdw

WKR
I had an arena 34 some years back and it was a tac driver….. they just don’t hold their value, and bow snobs like to trash them trash them.

Eleven

FNG
I bought a Bear Divergent RTH package for my wife a few years ago. It is a great package and she shoots it very well. It got her into the woods very fast with very little thought (all the pieces were already on the bow). She’s killed 3 deer with it so far. I think the RTH packages are a great way to start someone out to see if they like it, to get them setup without a lot of ‘thinking’ and to not break the bank.

my 1994 bear special with green fiberglass limbs was pretty good at killing while using aluminum shaft shafts. I'm sure the rth will do fine as long as your cams are in time

Bear has some issues but they shoot arrows. The lower end stuff has some quality control issues and they do tend to be a bit heavy. However, I would be more than confident in taking a RTH bow and Walmart arrows into the woods and shooting fine.

fatlander

WKR
None of the ready to hunt packages from really any company are very good IMO. The accessories are as cheap as they can possibly be and the strings are usually abysmal. If you get a whole hunting season with your peep remaining in one place and no broken accessories, you got lucky.

Buying gently used high end stuff is the way to go. I’ve fully rigged out a few of buddies in the past few weeks with year old new in box or barely used year or two old flagship bows with killer accessories for less than the price of a new flagship bow from a shop.

PM me if you want some help getting in something. I’ll help you out. Depending on where you are, I can even do the setup and tuning.

One expense and hurdle you have to consider is not all shops are amicable to working on used bows. You obviously should expect to pay for their time to properly set you up and get your bow tuned, but some will make you feel like crap for buying them elsewhere, give you crappy service, or down right refuse to work on something they didn’t sell you.

One more caveat with a used bow is the vast majority of them aren’t going to have a warranty. It’s not really an issue unless you have an issue which is rare these days. Getting a bow half price, you’ll still come out ahead if there’s an issue down the road; just buy another one half price and put your really nice accessories on it.

OP
G
None of the ready to hunt packages from really any company are very good IMO. The accessories are as cheap as they can possibly be and the strings are usually abysmal. If you get a whole hunting season with your peep remaining in one place and no broken accessories, you got lucky.

Buying gently used high end stuff is the way to go. I’ve fully rigged out a few of buddies in the past few weeks with year old new in box or barely used year or two old flagship bows with killer accessories for less than the price of a new flagship bow from a shop.

PM me if you want some help getting in something. I’ll help you out. Depending on where you are, I can even do the setup and tuning.

One expense and hurdle you have to consider is not all shops are amicable to working on used bows. You obviously should expect to pay for their time to properly set you up and get your bow tuned, but some will make you feel like crap for buying them elsewhere, give you crappy service, or down right refuse to work on something they didn’t sell you.

One more caveat with a used bow is the vast majority of them aren’t going to have a warranty. It’s not really an issue unless you have an issue which is rare these days. Getting a bow half price, you’ll still come out ahead if there’s an issue down the road; just buy another one half price and put your really nice accessories on it.

My account doesn’t have privileges to DM just yet but best believe I’m taking your advice. Thank you, you may hear from me in the future.

fatlander

WKR
My account doesn’t have privileges to DM just yet but best believe I’m taking your advice. Thank you, you may hear from me in the future.

Shoot me a text. Be happy to help you.

Last edited:

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Apparently another one of those youtube experts voicing his own personal statement. Maybe he was talking about himself because he doesn't know which is the bow or which is the arrow.

I sure do like my bottom of the barrel, Bear Legend compound. I know there's nicer bows, but I took a break from archery for several years. When I decided to get back into bowhunting, that's the bow I decided on. Will I upgrade? Probably so, but it has severed me well the past few seasons.