caring for contacts while backcountry

gommer

FNG
Newb here. Been a few years since I've been backcountry. I'm prepping for backcountry hunts this fall and I now wear contacts.

How do yall care for them in the field. Pack in a bottle of saline and case, bring extra pair and/or glasses for backup are the most common options 8 assume, but wondering if someone has figured out a trick.

I'm slightly allergic to mine and require the peroxide cleaning daily, not excited to pack all that in. Thinking about packing in bag of dailys.

Thanks!

seww

WKR
I'd recommend dailys. Just toss at the end of the day, no need to clean.
Bring glasses as back-up.

I tried some contacts that you slept with, and they would bend your lens so that you had 20/20 vision for the next 2-3 days. That was nice! But they kind of hurt to sleep with, really hard, almost like glass.

Guess next thing is lasik...

OP
G

gommer

FNG
I'd recommend dailys. Just toss at the end of the day, no need to clean.
Bring glasses as back-up.

I tried some contacts that you slept with, and they would bend your lens so that you had 20/20 vision for the next 2-3 days. That was nice! But they kind of hurt to sleep with, really hard, almost like glass.

Guess next thing is lasik...
Thanks. I believe that's what I'll end up doing, bring in dailys.

Never heard of those you sleep in that temporarily correct, sounds pretty cool. I'll have to research those too

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I just packed two extras along with the case and a small bottle of the saline cleaner. I haven’t had any issues with my two trips. I could see where daily contacts could come in handy though considering your allergy.

seww

WKR
Thanks. I believe that's what I'll end up doing, bring in dailys.

Never heard of those you sleep in that temporarily correct, sounds pretty cool. I'll have to research those too
Seems like maybe they were only available in Europe. This was back in Sweden before we moved to the US.
They sure came in handy but I went back to dailys just because they were so uncomfortable to sleep in. Also felt a bit scary sleeping with glass in your eyes...

Moserkr

WKR
I pack a travel bottle of solution, a case, and an extra pair. Always bring glasses. If you need peroxide bring that too. I also bring soap for my hands to stay clean when handling. Daily's would work too, its just not fun either way.

OP
G

gommer

FNG
I pack a travel bottle of solution, a case, and an extra pair. Always bring glasses. If you need peroxide bring that too. I also bring soap for my hands to stay clean when handling. Daily's would work too, its just not fun either way.
Yeah, I heard that. Sucks getting old!

gburk

WKR
I’ve had a problem with peroxide freezing up over night and as far as I can tell it wrecks the lenses. Never quite comfortable after that. I guess it wasn’t cold enough to freeze new lenses in factory saline, since they were fine in the same temps. I won’t sleep in them, so my only solution, at least in cold weather, has been a pair a day which isn’t great. I will try storing in saline instead.
HTH

OP
G

gommer

FNG
Felt stupid asking this question, but glad I did. I wouldnt have thought about peroxide freezing and saline not.

Going with dailys with a small bottle of saline for cleaning/rinse if required.

Thanks

kpk

WKR
I wear Oasys and can sleep with them in without issue. I usually just use a few lubricating drops in the morning and they're GTG. I'll take them out and clean them overnight after 2 or 3 days. Usually pack quite a few extras - they weigh nothing and take up very little space.

fmyth

WKR
I switched to daily wear contacts. I bring a small bottle of saline and hand wipes to clean my finger before putting in a new pair each morning. I keep an extra pair in my backpack with an alcohol prep pad (clean finger) and a pair of glasses. Quarter in pic for size reference.

Attachments

• 20210408_131144.jpg
    20210408_131144.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 9

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use Acuvue Oasys........I've tried Dailies.....but haven't found any that give me the same clarity I get with the Oasys. And in the dry air at 11k feet with a little wind thrown in......it's hard enough to keep clear vision with contacts.

jmav58

WKR
I'm glad other people have the same struggle as me. Last year, I packed in a pair of backup contacts, pair of glasses, my normal pair of contacts and then a bottle of contact cleaner. I put the contacts in their cases and solution in my sleeping bag so it wouldn't freeze. Also, bring some soap or some cleaning wipes for your hands.

I've had contacts freeze in saline solution, so I ended up putting them in my sleeping bag with me at night. Why wasn't I blessed with 20/20 vision?

OP
G

gommer

FNG
I'm glad other people have the same struggle as me. Last year, I packed in a pair of backup contacts, pair of glasses, my normal pair of contacts and then a bottle of contact cleaner. I put the contacts in their cases and solution in my sleeping bag so it wouldn't freeze. Also, bring some soap or some cleaning wipes for your hands.
All those years I took my eyes for granted. Now I got a whole nother thing to worry about! Didnt even consider soap for cleaning hands before touching contacts like yall have mentioned.

JGTWI

WKR
Dailies are absolutely the way to go. I’m a glasses wearer most of the time, but wear contacts on the weekends when I’m more active and/or when I’m doing outdoor activities.

Regular contacts always used to be very uncomfortable for me unless they were fresh, so being able to put in a brand new pair every day was a game changer. If I wore them every day though I think the cost would be brutal.

wyodan

WKR
All those years I took my eyes for granted. Now I got a whole nother thing to worry about! Didnt even consider soap for cleaning hands before touching contacts like yall have mentioned.
Honestly, when I wore contacts, I just concentrated on only touching the exterior of the lens as much as possible. Rinse with saline and put in. Did it for 15 years or so. Sleep with the solution and your contacts case, it will keep it from freezing. I now have had the lasik, and it was totally worth it for me.