Carry your bow or sling

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I have usually carried my bow but have a had a few horror stories recently how strings have popped or came off the cams when packed in. Curious what everyone is doing to see if I should get a sling or grab it or something of the like to avoid scenarios that I listed.

BK

LFC911

WKR
Carry when season is open/legal shooting hours or strapped to my pack if walking in/out when season is closed or it's before/after dark.

Trapline

FNG
I use a sling that I can shoot without taking it off my bow. I still have the bow in my hand and can free up that hand anytime, but weight is on my shoulder. I beat the crap out of that Hoyt,

IMG_4051.jpeg

j_volt

WKR
I like carrying. I get nervous with my bow flailing around.

It is advisable to practice carrying 7 pounds in one hand for extended times prior to doing it for a week.

Jbxl20

WKR
I usually have it in my hand while hunting. But navigating steep, tough terrain I like my Montana bow sling on the pack and kuiu bow cover on the strings when packing in and out. I have a sling a ling and it’s ok as well but if you’re already wearing a pack then the Montana bow sling with the hooks is where it’s at.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I strap it to the pack when hiking in and out when it’s dark. I usually carry it by the riser or lay it behind my neck across my shoulders. Having a longer stabilizer is nice because it rides over your shoulder and you can keep the bow from falling off by hanging onto it it….Just like carting your kiddo around on your shoulder.

DanimalW

WKR
I usually have it in my hand while hunting. But navigating steep, tough terrain I like my Montana bow sling on the pack and kuiu bow cover on the strings when packing in and out. I have a sling a ling and it’s ok as well but if you’re already wearing a pack then the Montana bow sling with the hooks is where it’s at.
100% agree. I still hold onto the bow while it’s on the sling hooks to steer it through shit. Just have to remember to flip the front hook over your shoulder once you take the bow off.

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
I strap it to the pack when hiking in and out when it’s dark. I usually carry it by the riser or lay it behind my neck across my shoulders. Having a longer stabilizer is nice because it rides over your shoulder and you can keep the bow from falling off by hanging onto it it….Just like carting your kiddo around on your shoulder.
This is what I do. Weight sits on the top of my backpack. Although, sometimes I feel like a bull between tight trees.. turning sideways etc haha

100% agree. I still hold onto the bow while it’s on the sling hooks to steer it through shit. Just have to remember to flip the front hook over your shoulder once you take the bow off.
This^ x3 recommendation for the awesome Montana bow sling. Before it arm fatigue was a significant issue from 5 days in of a 10 day elk hunt. Not any more!

I carry during hunting hours but have a small bow hook attached to the left side of my pack which works great. I can rest it on there when hiking to take some weight off as long as it’s not too steep. It’s also nice to hang the bow so I can use two hands glassing and stabilize my binos a bit.

Carry it in a Kifaru Gunbearer while packing or hunting mountain game. Have not damaged it there yet.

Did wreck a string and limb hand carrying thru a rock slide years ago. Was stone sheep hunting on a DIY backpack hunt. Spare bow was in the truck a two day hike away….end of sheep hunt.

I use and like a Cabelas neoprene string, cable and cam cover on occasion….KUIU version is too short the 35” Prime. Don’t like the sling strap on it so I put covered bow in the Gunbearer when/if in the thick willows.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Carry it in a Kifaru Gunbearer while packing or hunting mountain game. Have not damaged it there yet.

Did wreck a string and limb hand carrying thru a rock slide years ago. Was stone sheep hunting on a DIY backpack hunt. Spare bow was in the truck a two day hike away….end of sheep hunt.

I use and like a Cabelas neoprene string, cable and cam cover on occasion….KUIU version is too short the 35” Prime. Don’t like the sling strap on it so I put covered bow in the Gunbearer when/if in the thick willows.
I have been trying to find photos of this set up as I have a gun bearer. Do you happen to have any pics of this? Also where do you attach the top clasp on your bow?

Luked

WKR
Learned my lesson last season with it strapped to my pack.
In an OTC unit walking back to camp in a small field bow strapped to the pack and 6 elk popped over the hill 70 yards in front of us. 2 bulls and 4 cows. Someghing had spooked them and they ran right at us. They stopped for a split second then took off. When they took off i had gotten to the ground on one knee pack off and bow in hand reaching for an arrow and they were gone.
If i had been carrying it could have been a shot opprotunity.
Learned my lesson ill carry it from now on.

Jethro

WKR
I have been trying to find photos of this set up as I have a gun bearer. Do you happen to have any pics of this? Also where do you attach the top clasp on your bow?
I’ve been thinking about this lately too. I’d like to see photos if anybody has some.

Tagging in @roosiebull. I know he carries his bow in a bearer.

zpearo

FNG
I was just considering getting a kifaru gun bearer for rifle season. Now that I hear it's good for a bow too, I think I'm fully in on the idea

Attachments

• EC3EE4B4-1E96-4479-BCE0-218BC7D68F3F.jpeg
    EC3EE4B4-1E96-4479-BCE0-218BC7D68F3F.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 94D6C622-3A5D-40B1-B3AD-854C82BF3F67.jpeg
    94D6C622-3A5D-40B1-B3AD-854C82BF3F67.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 3C92DBC1-0B71-4781-8C4E-05A84F8CA70C.jpeg
    3C92DBC1-0B71-4781-8C4E-05A84F8CA70C.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 66

Zdub02

WKR
I use a sling just to protect strings and cables as I'm busting brush a lot of the time.

87TT

WKR
Learned my lesson last season with it strapped to my pack.
In an OTC unit walking back to camp in a small field bow strapped to the pack and 6 elk popped over the hill 70 yards in front of us. 2 bulls and 4 cows. Someghing had spooked them and they ran right at us. They stopped for a split second then took off. When they took off i had gotten to the ground on one knee pack off and bow in hand reaching for an arrow and they were gone.
If i had been carrying it could have been a shot opprotunity.
Learned my lesson ill carry it from now on.
Can't catch a fish unless your hooks in the water.

I'm going to be investing in the Spider system. Hands free seems simple enough., Perfect for hanging a bow while in a tree stand. I did the self tapping garage hanger for many years and there are at least 15 trees in Northern VA that have a garage hanger sticking out the side about 25ft off the ground