Case 1830 Skid Steer Opinions

I've been keeping an eye out for a small-to-medium sized skid steer and came across a Case 1830 at a seemingly good price. I intend to use it for light landscaping work around the house and material handling (scooping mulch/compost, skidding saw logs when I get my mini-mill running, moving lumber stacks). It's a little smaller than what I would consider ideal for my needs, but I do have access to some larger equipment for heavy lifting. From the limited info I've been able to dig up, consensus seems to be that the factory Renault/Continental gasoline engine in an 1830 is underpowered and unreliable. The one I'm looking at has been swapped to an Isuzu diesel. For anyone who might happen to have experience with one of these machines, help talk me off the fence (on either side).

I don't have experience with an 1830, have used a few 1840's.

Small machines, unless it's an absolute steal I'd look for something a little bigger. It will handle moving loose material, but is not going to be ideal for digging, or even skidding. Easy to move around tho.

I'd go bigger myself.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
In the industry, other than Backhoes, CASE stands for “couldn’t afford something else.”

Kind of a joke but also not really.

I’ve had the luxury of operating just about every brand machine for heavy equipment. Lately it’s been skid steers.

For a large machine need I’d recommend the Takeuchi TL12. For a small to medium sized I’d recommend the Kubota SVL65/75 or Takeuchi TL8/10.

Around here the machines that seem to keep going are something like a bobcat 753, 763, or 7753.

I they were really popular for their size and cleaning out poultry houses. Use to be some of the smaller case machines, I remember the old t-handle machine, but they seemed to not be around much anymore.

In the industry, other than Backhoes, CASE stands for “couldn’t afford something else.”

Kind of a joke but also not really.

I’ve had the luxury of operating just about every brand machine for heavy equipment. Lately it’s been skid steers.

For a large machine need I’d recommend the Takeuchi TL12. For a small to medium sized I’d recommend the Kubota SVL65/75 or Takeuchi TL8/10.

Any longer term experience with the Kubota 97-2?

OP
Mighty Mouse
I don't have experience with an 1830, have used a few 1840's.

Small machines, unless it's an absolute steal I'd look for something a little bigger. It will handle moving loose material, but is not going to be ideal for digging, or even skidding. Easy to move around tho.

I'd go bigger myself.
Seller is asking $6500, which I think is fair for that model but not really a bargain. If he'll come down to $5000, I would take a gamble on it...then probably end up regularly cussing it for being too small and myself for not listening to my betters.

It would be easy to tow around behind a half ton pickup though.

OP
Mighty Mouse
Then it would fit right in amongst my Case 855 track loader, Case IH 1594 tractor, and various other patched-up budget equipment;)

I would like to stay under $15k, which means old, small...or Case. Any thoughts on Bobcat skid steers? I've seen some Bobcat 7xx, 8xx, and Sxxx models within my price range. Most of those models have Kubota engines in them.

OP
Mighty Mouse
Around here the machines that seem to keep going are something like a bobcat 753, 763, or 7753.

I they were really popular for their size and cleaning out poultry houses. Use to be some of the smaller case machines, I remember the old t-handle machine, but they seemed to not be around much anymore.
Good to hear. I've been considering those Bobcat models you mentioned. An 873 popped up last week for $10k that I would have taken but somebody beat me to it.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been around those case skid loaders for over 40 years mostly 1845s A,B and C’s no experience with 1830 they’re really small but the 1845s have been very reliable and are much easier and simpler to work on than bobcat I think that 18 series skid loader was one of the best machines case made it’s a shame they quit I own a 1845C now with over 8k hours on it

I would like to stay under $15k, which means old, small...or Case. Any thoughts on Bobcat skid steers? I've seen some Bobcat 7xx, 8xx, and Sxxx models within my price range. Most of those models have Kubota engines in them.
Had quite a bit of time in bobcats. Mostly 7's and S's. If you can find a 763 with relatively low hours or a recent rebuild and has everything you're looking for you'll be doing pretty good. I'm assuming 15k will only get you high hours if you buy as recent as the S series but could be wrong.

Biggest complaint others seem to have with bobcat vs CAT is the foot controls vs everything with your hands. I learned on Bobcats so going back to them is like riding a bike for me but I know other legitiamte heavy equipment operators w/ 70,000+ logged hours that still despise bobcats for no other reason than the controls. Newer-ish models have joystick controls but the era you're probably interested in (financially) will probably have foot pedals.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I wouldn't want a bobcat tracked machine over just about anyone else....but they have the wheeled machines figured out.

I too am impressed with the kubota and taks.

Beendare

WKR
I prefer Tacheuchi track machines, superior to Bobcat…and cheaper here in our area.
Bobcats are pretty good when only a year or two old…but then repairs added up for me.

The track machines have a lower center of gravity and better traction- great on hillsides.

The older Bobcats and lesser machines have too many nagging issues that are very expensive to fix…thats IF they can diagnose it.…many times they can’t.

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
I would stay with a diesel motor. I just seen a Case 1840 not too far from me in Indiana for $6k. Has some hours, but I hear the Case 1840-1845 could run for ever..