Utility Tractor vs. Skid Steer

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Debating what to get...

I currently have a JD4300 tractor with loader. The JD is about 32hp.
My current use is bush hogging, tilling, discing, wood processing, grading driveway, etc. General front loader use. The tractor is great, however, there have been several instances where I needed more power, more lifting power, or the tractor has just been too big for a smaller space.

I am debating on selling the tractor to get a 40+hp skid steer for all heavy loader work and getting a smaller tractor for tillage, mowing, etc. general small tractor work. Then have the best of both worlds? Or get an older 50+hp tractor with loader, but then again, may be too big.

Ideas, suggestions, ?

Weldor

WKR
Keep the Tractor, buy a skid steer. 2 is always better than one. My 480E still saves the day, but there are times I need my buddies skidsteer to get in tight spaces.

Wrench

WKR
An 8-10k skid can do an amazing amount of work. A 6k can still throw a 6' brush mower that makes a 3pt mower look like a toy.

If you're loaded on 3pt implements, plan that into your game....if you're borrowing or renting, know that any skid mount implement is designed for far greater duty than 3pt.

I loved my 7860 cub tractor for mowing and snow removal....but our skid (s175) simply does more work faster and with ease compared to the tractor.

I would look at workload. For years I did everything on my place with a 35 hp ford tractor. Circumstances brought me to a 95 hp 4wd tractor. I found more tools available on the used market and larger which helped me complete tasks faster. Skid steers are handy but for me are better leased for short periods of time.

I farm 15 acres of my land and another 60 acres of my neighbors on shares. Sort of the community's farmer.

WTFJohn

WKR
Debating what to get...

I currently have a JD4300 tractor with loader. The JD is about 32hp.
My current use is bush hogging, tilling, discing, wood processing, grading driveway, etc. General front loader use. The tractor is great, however, there have been several instances where I needed more power, more lifting power, or the tractor has just been too big for a smaller space.

I am debating on selling the tractor to get a 40+hp skid steer for all heavy loader work and getting a smaller tractor for tillage, mowing, etc. general small tractor work. Then have the best of both worlds? Or get an older 50+hp tractor with loader, but then again, may be too big.

Ideas, suggestions, ?

They are different machines with different purposes, at least around our place. The CTL/skid steer gets used a lot more than the tractor does on a daily basis, but when the tractor is run it is for hours on end with a single/few tasks.

Tractors are great at performing work behind the operator in a (mostly) straight line over a large(er) area, and the loaders are usually good enough to get the job done for other tasks. CTL/skid steers are great for working in 360* and tight(er) spaces since the attachment is right in front of you, and with the quick attach plate + machine hydraulics you open up a whole world of attachments that are game changers for productivity.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking of a case 1845c or bobcat 753/763. Then an older ford 23hp+ tractor. I had a ‘53 Ford Jubilee before the JD and it was a fun tractor.

Last edited:
Hate to come off as a know-it-all but I have been selling hydrostatic transmissions for 44 years to manufacturers. At one point I called on 8 skidsteer loader manufacturers. I specified the propel and other hydraulic systems on all of them. All that said I hate the damn things in spite of the fact it kept the kids in shoes.
Skid loaders rip the hell out of the turn, scuff up surfaces, and are difficult for inexperienced operators to operate. I fully understand the uses and productivity they offer but for the hobby farm, rural household etc guy then no.
Look hard at an articulated loader. There are many new offerings now from manufacturers with most of the advantages of a skid without the disadvantages. Bobcat L28, Deere, JCB, MAC, Avant etc
Most accept skid loader attachments, better maneuverability, ease of operation.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Hate to come off as a know-it-all but I have been selling hydrostatic transmissions for 44 years to manufacturers. At one point I called on 8 skidsteer loader manufacturers. I specified the propel and other hydraulic systems on all of them. All that said I hate the damn things in spite of the fact it kept the kids in shoes.
Skid loaders rip the hell out of the turn, scuff up surfaces, and are difficult for inexperienced operators to operate. I fully understand the uses and productivity they offer but for the hobby farm, rural household etc guy then no.
Look hard at an articulated loader. There are many new offerings now from manufacturers with most of the advantages of a skid without the disadvantages. Bobcat L28, Deere, JCB, MAC, Avant etc
Most accept skid loader attachments, better maneuverability, ease of operation.
I'm on a budget! LOL..
Also wouldn't throw out the idea of a 50+hp tractor w/loader and no skid steer.

KHNC

WKR
I just finished this debate in my head. Had a Kubota 37hp tractor with loader last 3.5 years. Bought a 74hp New Holland SS 6 weeks ago with plans to keep both. Sold the tractor last week. Here's why i decided to sell.

Skid Steer has QD plate to run 3pt landscape rake or blade. All you have to do is spin it around and drive foward. Same as operation in reverse with tractor. Allows me to keep both implements i use all the time on tractor. Can still use my grapple on SS. Bought a fixed heavy duty root rake blade for skid steer. No way tractor is running that thing. Got a 72" rotary tiller for SS at half the cost of tractor. (didnt have one for tractor either) Bought a 72" brush cutter that will whack 4" trees with no problem. All these implements allow me to scrape driveway, remove leaves from food plots or atv trail. Clear briars and saplings up to 4" . Dig most any roots , the tractor wont do it. Tooth bucket on SS will do 4-5 times what the tractor would. I can till my plots now. Also, I use the Skid Steer to maintain my backyard MX track as well. Does it all. It is hard on grass though. It will dig it up with treads. You wont be doing any finish mowing with SS.

Wrench

WKR
I had a case w4 and a 763 at the same time. If you're a novice, you can get in a lot of trouble with an art machine. They require respect in the pinch and working close to anything due to the swing.

Skid steer would be awesome to have if money is no object, but the only time I have needed one, it was cheaper to pay someone to come in for 1-2 days and do what needed to be done. Tractor with a 3rd function on the FEL and a root rake grapple is mighty handy.

Whatever you do I would keep your JD4300. They don't make em like they used to, and it's nice to have dedicated mower, spreader, or disc and not have to change 3 pt attachments as much. What are you doing where that JD4300 is too big?

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Skid steer would be awesome to have if money is no object, but the only time I have needed one, it was cheaper to pay someone to come in for 1-2 days and do what needed to be done. Tractor with a 3rd function on the FEL and a root rake grapple is mighty handy.

Whatever you do I would keep your JD4300. They don't make em like they used to, and it's nice to have dedicated mower, spreader, or disc and not have to change 3 pt attachments as much. What are you doing where that JD4300 is too big?

JD4300 is too small. Not enough power at times. Ive had to borrow a skid steer several times for some lifting power and help in the woods. Dont get me wrong the JD4300 is a nice machine, but I cant justify having both, if I do get a SS. The hood has almost completely cracked apart from clearing brush and cold weather, so be nice to have an all metal machine.

taskswap

WKR
Why not just own the machine you use the most and rent the other, instead of trying for an all-in-one? I'm working on a homestead and rented a Case TV370B, track loader, from my local rental company for $390/day. Pricey but that sucker will lift 3800lbs and do it over rough ground too. I used it to unload pallets of concrete (3400+) on a job site and it was perfect for that - but probably 80% of the rest of my work I can do with a machine half that size. So I've been using the rule of "buy what meets your 80%, rent the rest". YMMV...

KHNC

WKR
I have found the skid steer will do nearly everything a tractor will do. Realized that after a TON of research on implements available. Skid will also do many things a tractor can only dream of, and with less wear on the skid steer than it causes on a tractor.

JD4300 is too small. Not enough power at times. Ive had to borrow a skid steer several times for some lifting power and help in the woods. Dont get me wrong the JD4300 is a nice machine, but I cant justify having both, if I do get a SS. The hood has almost completely cracked apart from clearing brush and cold weather, so be nice to have an all metal machine.
Check out the New Holland Workmaster and Powerstar series if you have a NH dealer nearby. Make sure to get the 3rd function on your FEL

They are doing 0% APR for 60 months through 12/31

1703190612782.png

KHNC

WKR
Thats huge tractor for woods use. May be a bit hard to navigate to some hard to reach food plots.

Run 870 bobcats and a 110 hp dual wheel tractor at work.
Used a 4x4 25-50 hp tractor many times on my own land.
The 25-30 was a joke with a 45-50 being a real good sweet spot.
Get no cab and 4x4 with quick detach loader.
I would pass on skid steer because of price and im not buying one with alot of hours.If your not mulching timber all the time or doing construction stay with the tractor.

Thats huge tractor for woods use. May be a bit hard to navigate to some hard to reach food plots.
You do have to be careful, but you need the tractor to work the foodplot, so the assumption would be you have already cleared a trail for the tractor to fit through or the food plot wouldn't be there. But if you get a bigger tractor, chainsaws and pole saws can open up a trail mighty quick.... Or....

I got a guy with a 200 HP skid steer with metal tracks and a mulcher attachment. He will run that thing from sun up to sun down (in the summer) for $1,200/day. You want to talk about stuff getting done, I mean this thing is a beast

skid steer.jpg