Case trimming/prep

Hello all,

What would you recommend to a new reloader for case trimming and prep?

It looks like there is a fast option in the Little Crow "World's Finest" that fit in a hand drill, or something that might be more fool proof like the Lee case length gauge and trimmer. But there also is likely something to be said for getting a mini-lathe type trimmer like the RCBS that comes with attachments for lots of common calibers.

Is chamfering something that should be done with extreme concentricity in mind, and should some sort of system that keeps the tools centered recommended, or can you just use a simple hand tool with good results?

What do you all use for trimming and case prep, would you recommend it, and why?

Thanks,
-pg

rayporter

WKR
back about '65 i started with a lee. they will work. over the years i have used several others like the redding and forrester and wilson. hunting ammo is done on a forrester and target is on the wilson.

i dont have a little crow so wont comment other than i am pretty sure it works.

just chamfer- a quick twist with a rocket style tool is all that is needed, dont obsess over it.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Frankford Arsenal case prep center is a great unit. I had a few Little crow trimmers and sold them.

Unckebob

WKR
I have the Little Crow and like it, but I got a deal on a Frankfort Arsenal Universal Case Trimmer.

For precision loads, I use a Forster mini lathe style.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve use the old hand crank Forster, and the lee trimmer was okay and is not expensive. They all work fine but are tedious.

Now im using the WFT type trimmers on a drill and they are excellent. I actually use the “WCT” (world’s cheapest trimmer) on everything except 223. Hand chamfer/deburr, no big deal.

I do so much more 223, and process pickup range brass so it’s a lot more trimming. Giraud tri-way is worth it here, chamfers/deburrs as it trims, but a few bucks more.

SippyCup

FNG
Frankfort arsenal universal trimmer has worked well for me so far. I’ve been using the Lyman hand tool for chamfering and deburring but that’s getting pretty old. I wouldn’t mind getting an all in one station at some point

I use the trimmer that came in my RCBS rockchucker kit. Been using it for 25 years. I chamfer with hand VLD tool.

If I was loading in huge bulk I might need something different but this does just fine for my volume.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Hardened-Scrapers/dp/B00HS7JEB4?th=1

I'll chime in for another +1 for the Frankford one. Extremely reasonable price for what you get. I've trimmed and prepped thousands of cases on mine from 223 to 300 Norma and still love it. One negative thing I'd say is the cutters do get dull after a while, but that's probably the case with any of them, and I've used mine more than a lot of people would I think.