Caterpillar dozer made in Japan ?

That is interesting, I am an engineer for Cat, thanks for sharing the serial number plate. My buddy who is tractor product support says we haven't made TTT in Japan in a while. A lot of that has since been moved to Thailand for d5-d8 but that is only for the region. He was saying currently we import some d7-d8 to North America from Brazil. D9-D11 is all assembled in bldng SS in East Peoria, IL. I highly doubt there is any construction/mining equipment that size that has any single country of origin for parts. We try to keep stuff regional because logistically its more cost effective but it is impossible to do 100% of the time. Most of our large mining trucks are built in Decatur and just because Komatsu wanted to stick it in our eye they built their large mining truck assembly in Peoria, IL, our home town.

Sitting on a D11 right now. Not seeing the serial number plate.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Up armored Cat D9s in Fallujah ran over cars... houses... people... you name it. I bet those operators were giggling the whole time. Lucky bastards

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4134300A-3A74-4286-B016-618637199C39.jpegMy cousins just bought a VW GTI - assembled in Germany. He is a nerd and likes to see where the parts come from. Here is what he sent me:

20 years ago "Gray line machines" were more of a thing, machines built over seas, mainly for the Asian markets were getting imported.
Back in the mid 80's we bought a couple of used refurbished imported CAT 966 loaders. I want to say they were of Japanese origin but can't remember for sure??? At the time we didn't have any issues with the local CAT dealer supplying parts. They were the same as buying parts for all the existing CAT stuff we had. I left that industry some years later and don't know how it went with them after I left.

Back in the mid 80's we bought a couple of used refurbished imported CAT 966 loaders. I want to say they were of Japanese origin but can't remember for sure??? At the time we didn't have any issues with the local CAT dealer supplying parts. They were the same as buying parts for all the existing CAT stuff we had. I left that industry some years later and don't know how it went with them after I left.
I'm still around it and at this point Cat is still hands down the best product support of anyone. You pay for it, but you do for anyone. I had a late 60's cat grader that was still 100% supported. They'd get out the microfiche with a straight face and start looking up parts. Volvo is about the worst, if its more than 10 years old around here they must figure it should be in the scrap yard, absolutely useless.

I have a 1944 D7- 3t and 1942 D7-M. I can still get most of the parts and they still work. Old dozers keep farms running. However they are an exercise program for old guys.

Back