Caught the upland bug...

ianpadron

WKR
Since moving out West in 2015, I've been diving head-first into all kinds of outdoor pursuits. Backpack hunting in the wilderness, swinging flies for steelhead, etc...but hadn't given upland a shot since I usually spend the winter months shooting ducks.

As I'm sure many of you can relate, I started to feel the pull of bird hunting and jumped right in.

Well, with a couple chukar hunts and handful of quail hunts under the belt for my trusty field golden Super Cooper and I, I might be selling some duck gear haha!

IMG_20201231_120241_688.jpg

slick

WKR
Is that a Franchi 48 AL?

Nice shooting, bird hunting with your dog is a good way to fill time between big game hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Good eye! It's a 20 gauge AL48...and it's the bomb.
Is that a Franchi 48 AL?

Nice shooting, bird hunting with your dog is a good way to fill time between big game hunts.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from my current 2 year old yellow lab that decided this fall he is gun shy, he still loves everything else about hunting just not the guns or noise they make, I can't imagine my retrievers being pleased with me giving up waterfowl. I do however get the appeal of upland, and my dogs have very much enjoyed it and excelled at it but there is something about waterfowl that makes early morning, wild weather and boat rides that later make you question your sanity all a good time and seeing a retriever do their thing just ices the cake for me.

I also like your franchi 48, I know the recoil would be excessive but is it 3" capable? Considering a light weight 20 for when we finally get a turkey hunt locally.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Aside from my current 2 year old yellow lab that decided this fall he is gun shy, he still loves everything else about hunting just not the guns or noise they make, I can't imagine my retrievers being pleased with me giving up waterfowl. I do however get the appeal of upland, and my dogs have very much enjoyed it and excelled at it but there is something about waterfowl that makes early morning, wild weather and boat rides that later make you question your sanity all a good time and seeing a retriever do their thing just ices the cake for me.

I also like your franchi 48, I know the recoil would be excessive but is it 3" capable? Considering a light weight 20 for when we finally get a turkey hunt locally.
I hear ya on the duck hunting. I'm just more selective now about going out only when conditions are "ducky". Sitting in the marsh freezing my ass off not shooting anything got old haha. Agree on the dog work, my Cooper is a duck grabbing fool, and is a big part of why I like waterfowling.

AL48s aren't 3" compatible, but I wouldn't hesitate to run some of the new 2 3/4" TSS loads through it for gobblers. Guys are stoning turkeys at 40 yards with single shot .410s loaded with 9 shot TSS and the pattern boards they post don't lie.

I'd put the AL48 in the top 3 for lightweight semi autos, especially the newer ones, highly recommend. It's like carrying a broomstick that can kill stuff lol.

slick

WKR
I also have a 20ga 48. Sweet shooter.

Looking to add a 12ga and send to Carlsons for a cut to 25” and threaded for external chokes.

Did find that late season Dakota roosters were flushing a bit wild and the 20ga 2 3/4 5s weren’t as lethal as I would have liked.

Since moving out West in 2015, I've been diving head-first into all kinds of outdoor pursuits. Backpack hunting in the wilderness, swinging flies for steelhead, etc...but hadn't given upland a shot since I usually spend the winter months shooting ducks.

As I'm sure many of you can relate, I started to feel the pull of bird hunting and jumped right in.

Well, with a couple chukar hunts and handful of quail hunts under the belt for my trusty field golden Super Cooper and I, I might be selling some duck gear haha!

View attachment 247736
I seriously love upland hunting. Next to chasing coyotes and maybe Elk, its my favorite thing to do. Also, I prefer hanging out with my GSP more than 99.9% of people. We spent 3 weeks in Nebraska and ND this year. I spent most of my time hunting with a browning cynergy feather, just because it is so light. But rotated a Franchi Affinity 3.5 and a Versamax into the lineup a few times.

27ABB211-EB6B-4B95-9E26-3F708D9821A8.jpeg3C47F737-D97F-41C4-8E7E-7FD321AAC905.jpeg460229D4-FBC7-4218-A85A-FB37E047CF76.jpeg

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I seriously love upland hunting. Next to chasing coyotes and maybe Elk, its my favorite thing to do. Also, I prefer hanging out with my GSP more than 99.9% of people. We spent 3 weeks in Nebraska and ND this year. I spent most of my time hunting with a browning cynergy feather, just because it is so light. But rotated a Franchi Affinity 3.5 and a Versamax into the lineup a few times.

View attachment 247866View attachment 247867View attachment 247868
Awesome photos, thank you for sharing! Love the coloring on your Shorthaired, don't see many like that.