Cell Phone Coverage

hikenhunt

WKR
All my hunting buddies used to have verizon, a couple switched and now its much harder to get a hold of them. The Verizon coverage is worth it IMO.

hikenhunt

WKR
May I ask what plan you are on? I cant find verizon service that cheap for two phones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not who you quoted and not quite sure the plan we are on. I've been with verizon long enough to get some sort of loyalty discount.

2 phones, 1 cellular apple watch, 4 GB shared, autopay, $106/month

Not who you quoted and not quite sure the plan we are on. I've been with verizon long enough to get some sort of loyalty discount.

2 phones, 1 cellular apple watch, 4 GB shared, autopay, $106/month

Yeah, I was with Verizon for 15 years and my bill just kept going up and the incentive to stay with them, so I thought was going down.. I was paying $175 a month for two phones and 12gb of data. I went to tmobile and have unlimited everything for $95 but the service is garbage... does not work anywhere but metro areas.

Shooter45

FNG
In NW Wyoming and use Verizon. Have been with them for over 15 years and found them to be the best coverage for me across the US specifically when you get out of bigger areas. Verizon has contracts with the Govt and gets more satellites than others I thought. Have tried Sprint and T-Mobile and the coverage was horrible. Better price, but coverage was horrible. AT&T and Sprint are good if you travel around the World as they have towers everywhere and you get service everywhere. Verizon wants to charge me and additional $10 a day to use my phone when gone so it doesn't get used.

Verizon also offers a substantial discount for LE/MIL if it applies to you. My bill is still expensive with 4 phones but the discount cuts it off a lot.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I switched from AT&T to Verizon years ago because coverage area was way better in areas i frequented .

Laramie

WKR
Straight talk here. Cheap, no contracts, and runs on Verizon towers. $35 per month unlimited (first 5gb are 4G and then lower speed after that). The areas I hunt, it doesn't matter who you have. There is just no service through 90% of the mountain.

Extrapale

WKR
Sprint here in Oregon. I have had Verizon in the past and Verizon work phones.

I am sticking with sprint. The coverage is very comlarable for the areas I spend time. The tmobile merger has me concerned though.

In other states I have seen Verizon be better out in the boonies. Hard to justify for a couple weeks a year.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one using total wireless? It uses Verizon’s network. I’m paying $58 a month for 2 lines. We share 30g of 4g data. Unlimited talk and text. No contract, had it for 4-5 years, no issues

Laramie

WKR
Am I the only one using total wireless? It uses Verizon’s network. I’m paying $58 a month for 2 lines. We share 30g of 4g data. Unlimited talk and text. No contract, had it for 4-5 years, no issues
Contract required?

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
Contract required?

No contract. You can get a new phone number or keep your own, Which we did. They have phones you can buy or bring your own. I just brought our existing over or bought a new one direct from apple.
You have to do some of the leg work to get it going but once it’s down, it works great. And it uses Verizon’s network. I’ve had no issues.

Mosby

WKR
I have Verizon because it is significantly better in coverage. My neighbor has AT&T. Areas that he can't make or receive calls, I can. He had some weird plan last year when we hunted western Colorado. He couldn't make a phone call for a week unless we drove into town and sat outside a hotel for some weird reason. His phone would have been useless in an emergency.

I hunt several different states a year. Stuff happens and the ability to make a phone call is critical. It can save a long walk. I can save money somewhere else.

pkgtot66

FNG
You need cell coverage to keep gps going and tracking correct? Sprint network for me and going to colorado unit 131 in 2021. Service bad for sprint?

So is it worth getting the garmin watch or foretrex?

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
You need cell coverage to keep gps going and tracking correct? Sprint network for me and going to colorado unit 131 in 2021. Service bad for sprint?

No, gps and tracking work independent of service.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yep, your gps will work independently of cell coverage. Your maps won’t load without data or being predownloaded. Sprint has a very very small footprint in Colorado (outside of the front range). They have/had roaming on Verizon but from my experience the quality wasn’t equal to a Verizon phone. You might benefit from the recent T-Mobile buyout as they opened up their network to sprint users, that will be depending on what frequencies your device was built with.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Yep, your gps will work independently of cell coverage. Your maps won’t load without data or being predownloaded. Sprint has a very very small footprint in Colorado (outside of the front range). They have/had roaming on Verizon but from my experience the quality wasn’t equal to a Verizon phone. You might benefit from the recent T-Mobile buyout as they opened up their network to sprint users, that will be depending on what frequencies your device was built with.

If you use OnX and download maps prior to losing service you are GTG.

Rich M

WKR
Have Verizon and paying 180 for 2 lines, 2 GB Data. Still paying off phones so would be 140 otherwise. Have had em for 15 yrs, no loyalty stuff here but they often call 2x a day to ask me to upgrade my phone or sign up for a mastercard. 🙄

Was in CO last year and was 30 miles out of weak/spotty Verizon coverage. T-Mobile had coverage at camp.

Getting ready to go to a cheaper alternative once phones are paid for. Just tired of throwing $ at them for less than others are paying for better packages.

Have Verizon and paying 180 for 2 lines, 2 GB Data. Still paying off phones so would be 140 otherwise. Have had em for 15 yrs, no loyalty stuff here but they often call 2x a day to ask me to upgrade my phone or sign up for a mastercard.

Was in CO last year and was 30 miles out of weak/spotty Verizon coverage. T-Mobile had coverage at camp.

Getting ready to go to a cheaper alternative once phones are paid for. Just tired of throwing $ at them for less than others are paying for better packages.

I was in the same boat, our phones were paid off but was paying around 165 a month with Verizon... we switched to tmobile and now have horrible coverage... now we are thinking about trying a streamline service that uses verizon network. I have been looking into Visible.

Rich M

WKR
Thanks, planning to look at "consumer" and others when we get closer. Have a couple more months til phones are paid.

boutdoors

FNG
The phone you are using maybe part of your loss of cell coverage, I hate to admit it but, iPhones have better antennas than most other brands, which allows you to get better cell reception